Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Packed to the Rafters

• 05-04-2010 2:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭

Caught this purely by chance last night after the film 'Along Came a Spider' on RTE1. Aussie comedy/drama focusing on a family, 3 grown up children, the dad has his own buidling business. Anyway, god knows why RTE put these kind of programmes on really late, around half 1. Don't know if it's on RTE player (doubt it!), but it looks good.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

I was wacthin this in Oz before Xmas, so good to see it on RTE

Good show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,495 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I just caught this by chance the other night it was on at 3am/4am and its seems like a good show - I dont know why RTE cant put it on at a decent time instead of the other repeated crap

It a big hit in Oz cleaning up at the Logie Awards for the past 2 years it seems and it has the actor who played Mitch in All Saints in it

This is shown now on RTE weekdays around 8am/9am new episodes I think

Seems it is losing three cast members
    as the actresses who play Sammy, Mel and Rachel are leaving

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭brian_t

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    This is shown now on RTE weekdays around 8am/9am new episodes I think

RTE are currently up to episode 16 (of 22) in Series three

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 887 ✭✭✭suitseir

By chance, I got watching this excellent Australian drama and have been following it. The episode where Mel died in the car crash and the funeral scene were real tear jerkers! It even brought a tear to my eye!!! I would consider it powerful drama with great actors. Well done to RTE!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 kazmad

i got in to it recently on rte aswell but ive no seen it since mel died, is it gone off rte or whats the story?

kazmad wrote: »
    i got in to it recently on rte aswell but ive no seen it since mel died, is it gone off rte or whats the story?

Season 3 finale was the last episode RTE showed I guess they are waiting on Season 4

Australian TV have only shown the first six episodes of season four back in February and March.
    It was then replaced in the schedules by a new programme called Winners & Losers.
    The remaining 16 episodes will air in Australia from August 15th.
    Packed to the Rafters has also been renewed for a fifth season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

Use to watch this when it was on at night and when it disappeared I thought they dropped it, it was only lately I heard/noticed it on in the mornings....clap clap RTE.

There's so many complaints about the hour they show things at and they just keep on doing it:confused:

RTE should this show at a primetime hour like TV3 did with All Saints

• Advertisement

This is appearing again in the RTE schedules.
    It seem though to be a repeat of the third series.

Australian TV started showing the fourth season on the 8 February 2011 but they took a break after the 6th episode. This was in order to show a new series "Winners and Losers" which is currently showing on ITV2 (You can catch the first 4 episodes again this Sunday Feb. 5 starting @ 11.15am.)

Packed to the Rafters resumed again on the 23rd August with a further 9 episodes.
    After a second break they are due to show the remaining 7 episodes from the 14th of this month finishing on 27th March.

Is this a record I wonder :)

http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2011/10/seven-to-halt-rafters-season-once-again.html

Packed to the Rafters
    RTÉ One
    Saturday 18th February 2012
    11:05 to 12:05 (starting in 15 days)

The Blank Page.
    Australian comedy drama which revolves around the Rafter family as they face work pressures and life issues, whilst also tackling serious social matters.
    Excerpt taken from DigiGuide - the world's best TV guide available from http://www.getdigiguide.tv/
    Copyright GipsyMedia Ltd.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Season 6 kicked off in Australia for those interested.

http://au.tv.yahoo.com/packed-to-the-rafters/

• Registered Users Posts: 32 barbie1

Just back from Oz with a box set of season 5. That will keep me going for a while! Bring back All Saints please RTE.

barbie1 wrote: »
    Bring back All Saints please RTE.

RTE can't help you - it was on TV3. :)

It was a good series, I used to watch it .

brian_t wrote: »
    RTE can't help you - it was on TV3. :)

It was a good series, I used to watch it .

TV3 should repeat All Saints from the start

Is Packed to the Rafters still on in Oz thought it had ended or was cancelled?

The sixth season is the last full season but it's expected to return in another format. It is speculated to be several 90-minute telemovies or a 6 part miniseries.
    The series is expected to end in July and a new storyline nutted out, with no production expected to take place for at least a year, a Seven spokeswoman said.

She said the actors will be given a break and be able to pursue other projects in the meantime.

It is understood that the setting for Packed to the Rafters may alter quite significantly to take the family's story forward.

http://www.theage.com.au/entertainment/tv-and-radio/packed-to-the-rafters-has-a-sense-of-finality-this-season-20130610-2nzl9.html#ixzz2XXmKW1s4

I see this is back in the RTE schedules at 11.50am on Sunday 11th August.

There is no indication yet of what series it is but hopefully it is a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 barbie1

Its one for the SKY + then!,

I see this is back in the RTE schedules at 11.50am on Sunday 11th August.

There is no indication yet of what series it is but hopefully it is a new one.

This is one of my favorite series on TV and I am embarassed to admit that I have only just noticed that it started last Sunday. :o

There is no info given on DigiGuide for the first 2 episodes but they have the 3rd episode (Sun 18th Aug) named as "Careful What You Wish For" which is the 3rd episode of series 4.

Below is a plot outline for the 1st episode if you wish to view one
    It's been three months since Ben and Nathan left on their road trip around Australia. Bearded and tanned, Ben returns without Nathan and smooths over his family's concern with a plausible excuse. He believes that if he wants to fit back in with his family, he has to be the fun loving guy he was before Melissa died.

At home much has happened. Coby has moved in with Jake and started his apprenticeship with Dave. Ruby has started walking and the house has been baby-proofed. Carbo and Retta's engagement party is fast approaching but it's the anticipated arrival of Rita – and what she'll say about the new relationship – which is causing nervous diarrhoea for Carbo and dry-retching for Retta.

As the family and the Karandonis clan celebrate his return, Ben is upbeat. Even the sight of the cheque for Mel's life insurance doesn't seem to faze him – but a visit back to his old room in the Karandonis house proves how much emotion he's really hiding. Unwilling to worry his family, Ben manages to seamlessly manipulate Rachel into offering her room, happy to stay more permanently with Jake and Coby. But will Ben be able to fool his mother Julie?

What Lies Beneath

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Only caught the last ten minutes of that there and it looked very weird. I wasn't quite sure if it's a comedy or not for a bit there.

There was a lad who was either on drugs or retarded or both. Very odd looking show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Only caught the last ten minutes of that there and it looked very weird. I wasn't quite sure if it's a comedy or not for a bit there.

There was a lad who was either on drugs or retarded or both. Very odd looking show.

It's really not. The person you mention is a character with cerebral palsy. Very few programs are brave enough to deal with serious disability of a young character and take a look at how that impacts all the very normal hopes and dreams he has for his life. He may have taken drugs or been drunk too, people with disabilities aren't all sitting in the corner drinking cocoa you know. I liked how they didn't use his story as a vehicle for trite platitudes, he was sad for what his bro had that he couldn't have, he was fun and cheerful but it wasn't the usual "wow he's amazing" story. It was "yeah he's like me" story. :)

It's a fantastic series, one of my all time favourites. They're very real,full characters, it tackles serious issues well but it manages to keep a light touch too. They're the kind of characters you come away wishing you knew in your own life.

It's really not. The person you mention is a character with cerebral palsy. Very few programs are brave enough to deal with serious disability of a young character and take a look at how that impacts all the very normal hopes and dreams he has for his life. He may have taken drugs or been drunk too, people with disabilities aren't all sitting in the corner drinking cocoa you know. I liked how they didn't use his story as a vehicle for trite platitudes, he was sad for what his bro had that he couldn't have, he was fun and cheerful but it wasn't the usual "wow he's amazing" story. It was "yeah he's like me" story. :)

It's a fantastic series, one of my all time favourites. They're very real,full characters, it tackles serious issues well but it manages to keep a light touch too. They're the kind of characters you come away wishing you knew in your own life.

Yes Ben and Carbo especially :p

Yes Ben and Carbo especially :p

Haha yes, and Jake and Nathan and Coby ...
    Spoilt for choice. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭unichick

Any sign of where it's gone on rte? My sky plus didn't pick it up. Is the series over?

Being completely off topic just thought I'd mention that there's another absolutely brilliant Australian TV series called Offspring that I think most people who like PTTR would like too.
    It follows the life and loves of Nina Proudman, an obstetrician and her family. It has heart and the same ability to tackle personal and emotional issues with the subtlety and care the rafters does but it's also laugh out loud funny,unremittingly uplifting and optimstic without being twee or taking the easy road on difficult issues. It gets 8.3 on imbd. There are 5 series and you have to watch online. It's eclipsed PTTR for me as a favourite show.

unichick wrote: »
    Any sign of where it's gone on rte? My sky plus didn't pick it up. Is the series over?

I think they aired all of Season 5

I think they aired all of Season 5

Yes, the last episode was shown on Saturday 22nd Sept.

Being completely off topic just thought I'd mention that there's another absolutely brilliant Australian TV series called Offspring that I think most people who like PTTR would like too.
    It follows the life and loves of Nina Proudman, an obstetrician and her family. It has heart and the same ability to tackle personal and emotional issues with the subtlety and care the rafters does but it's also laugh out loud funny,unremittingly uplifting and optimstic without being twee or taking the easy road on difficult issues. It gets 8.3 on imbd. There are 5 series and you have to watch online. It's eclipsed PTTR for me as a favourite show.

Excellent series, RTE is currently up to episode 7 of series 3. They show it at about 2.30am on Friday mornings.

Offspring

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Nice one, will have to check that out Whimsical. Wonderland is another good Aussie series in the same vein as Packed to the Rafters. It's about a gang of friends in their early 30s and follows their friendships & relationships. Brooke Satchwell, who played Frankie in PTTR is in it.

• Advertisement

Excellent series, RTE is currently up to episode 7 of series 3. They show it at about 2.30am on Friday mornings.

Offspring

I can't believe RTE are so crazy as to not realise the potential of these shows and give them decent time slots. 2:30 am like?!? I can't think of anything I've seen on RTE that would compare to how brilliant Offspring or PTTR is.

maudgonner wrote: »
    Nice one, will have to check that out Whimsical. Wonderland is another good Aussie series in the same vein as Packed to the Rafters. It's about a gang of friends in their early 30s and follows their friendships & relationships. Brooke Satchwell, who played Frankie in PTTR is in it.

I'm going to look that up right now. I'm kind of in mourning for Offspring now that I'm up to date with the most recent series. I actually miss it! I'm not sure if that's because I'm really sad or it's really good, but I think it's because it's just really good. :o

Advertisement