Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Saorview compatible TV - no channels????

Options
  • 18-08-2014 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭

I bought a Samsung UE 40D 5520 television in 2011 and was told that it is Saorview compatible. At the time, i was using a cable provider (UPC), so i did not have the opportunity to test this. I have recently moved house and am now connected to an aerial. When i do an installation, the TV does not pick up any stations. If i place an external saorview box between the aerial and the television, it will pick up the saorview channels.

Is it reasonable to assume from this that the aerial is working, but the TV is no decoding the digital signal. I checked in the shop, and they say that this model should decode without the need for a saorview box.

I do not want to have to use an external saorview box. I have a remote control for the TV, one for the satellite, and if i end up with a third for saorview, it will be a pain in the a__, especially after forking out for a saorview compatible TV.

Any ideas what to do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

It's an approved Saorview TV. Is it an indoor or outdoor aerial?

Perhaps try posting on the Terrestrial forum. You might get more of an "expert" answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,327 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

OP, is there an option for the country on the TV setup menus? You should be able to pickup the Saorview channels on the TV if the external Saorview set-top-box can do it from the same aerial. Do you know which is your local transmitter?

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭CarPark2

coylemj wrote: »
    OP, is there an option for the country on the TV setup menus? You should be able to pickup the Saorview channels on the TV if the external Saorview set-top-box can do it from the same aerial. Do you know which is your local transmitter?

Thanks for getting back to me.
    There is a country option in the setup, and i have selected Ireland.]
    I don't know the local transmitter, but i am based in Ferns, so i would guess it is the one on top of mount leinster.
    Yes, i am really confused as to why the set-top box can pick it up, but the TV on its own cannot. The setup has very few steps, so i don't see how i could be messing it up, and while i'm not an engineer, i am reasonably tech-savvy (for a layman).

It's an approved Saorview TV. Is it an indoor or outdoor aerial?

Perhaps try posting on the Terrestrial forum. You might get more of an "expert" answer.

Thanks. Aerial is indoor. Would this affect it? Given that the set-top box can pick it up, i don't understand why an approved TV wouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,327 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

CarPark2 wrote: »
    Thanks. Aerial is indoor. Would this affect it? Given that the set-top box can pick it up, i don't understand why an approved TV wouldn't.

If the aerial can supply the signal to the Saorview STB then it should be able to do the same for the TV.

Are you running a tuning scan on the TV?

Does it offer analogue or digital and are you specifying digital?
    Does it offer antenna/cable/satellite and are you specifying antenna?
    Does it allow you to specify a start channel?

• Advertisement

coylemj wrote: »
    If the aerial can supply the signal to the Saorview STB then it should be able to do the same for the TV.

Are you running a tuning scan on the TV?

Does it offer analogue or digital and are you specifying digital?
    Does it offer antenna/cable/satellite and are you specifying antenna?
    Does it allow you to specify a start channel?

Thanks. I had been selecting cable, but when I selected "air", I found the channels. Can't believe that I missed that.

Advertisement