Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Internet TV phone packages

• 21-11-2014 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

I am not the most tech savvy, but have a few queries about internet/TV/phone packages.
    In terms of broadband and landline we are currently with eircom, average bill circa 46 euro per month.
    On top of that we pay 28 for Sky Digital and then 35 odd each on mobiles.
    So roughly 109 per month.
    With the mobile packages we are on, they are unlimited calls, and with Eircom it’s a talk off peak package with unlimited calls after 7pm-7am.
    I rang eircom, and enquired about their TV package, and was told even though we live in the city centre of Dublin it would likely be February before it is rolled out in this district.
    When it does arrive, we can get landline/broadband/TV for 53 for the first six months, and 68 euro thereafter.
    In terms of the TV through eFibre/eircom, how do people find it?
    Is 68 euro per month a decent rate for the landline/broadband/TV?
    If we added two mobiles to the landline/broadband/TV package we were told it’d be 96 euro for six months, and 146 thereafter.
    Again, is this a decent price, and there any other providers out there we haven’t though of?
    I’m amazed eircom don’t have the TV all over Dublin?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭daytob

Dunno if this should go in requests
    however upc basic telly package is pretty much better * depending on area and channels you wish to view * and usually cheaper. you should look at the eircom channels and compare the 2.
    The easiest way to work out if its a good deal is to break it down over 2 years or 18 months in relation to eircom
    personally I went sim free with tesco 15e a month and get unlimited calls, texts and 1gb of data, the o-h is on that too so we get the free tesco to tesco calls and texts. I never need the amount that can be given but its really handy. Also changed over our numbers, and connected to our clubcard and if you do get a club card voucher of 5e then that equates to 210e per person for 18month, so 420 overall. now its worth noting that because we went sim free we were able to purchase our phones outright as well.
    with regards to bb we rang upc and told them thats all we were willing to pay and got bb for around 36e per month. over 18 months that would be 648. with regards to the telly I cant talk about that though, so realistically for my o-h and i to get
    unlimited calls
    texts
    and 1gb of data on our mobile phones €420
    bb and basic telly * never took back the box €648

overall price €1068

yours would be
    first 6 months €576
    next 12 months €1752

overall price €2328

even taking into account that you would have to pay for your own phones there is no way eircom will be able to provide you with 2 x €650 phones on that deal. and its also worth noting that my price is because i am with upc a while and they never took back the box * but i dont watch anything on it.

but just checked the upc site
    basic tv and internet is
    first 4 months @ €31 €124
    then the next 14 months @ €60 €840
    and including tesco €1384

so even taking into account going with tesco mobile and subsidising your own phones you will still be able to save a good bit more money

I would check tesco mobile coverage in your area before committing to it and also bearing in mind it suits me, it might not suit you

• Registered Users Posts: 39 traveller2

Thanks daytob for the quick reply.
    Second thoughts we will stick with the same mobile providers as is currently the case.
    However, the move on broadband/Landline (both currently Eircom) and TV (Sky Digital most basic) to UPC is something that looks very attractive as per your figures, 1,332 to 964 over an eighteen month basis.
    Is that price set in stone if you sign up for 18 months or can it rise?
    Also, what is UPC broadband like?
    We live in apartment, I presume you can get UPC anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Etnies

Go over to the upc forums on here and read about their tv box, its awful, but their broadband is the best there is as long as you have the stand alone router, eircoms broadband is useless and so is their efibre box, they also have massive contention on their network

If you want quality it's UPC internet and phone, Sky tv.

About your phones if you have unlocked phones and don't want to change them start looking at the SIM free offers could probably get that down by 15 Euro each a month plus the 10 a month on the bb

Check the bundles here, http://www.upc.ie/bundles/tv-broadband-phone/?ps=paidsearch&CMP=paid_search_UPC_Bundles&gclid=CJ_PvMjpjMICFYN92wod65MA3w

its worth noting that you can sign up for a upc deal in carphone warehouse, did electric or harvey normans and i think you get a 50e coupon or something like that. theres also a bargain alerts boards thread from upc themselves where they provide you with a discount.

The price is never set in stone anywhere, there might be a slight increase * as per a quick check on ba says, but a lot of time it wouldnt be much, the savings I am making I dont mind if it is much ** its not for me as I informed them i was leaving if they didnt.

I have no problems with speed where I am, meath, but thats just me, maybe one of your neighbours has upc and you can check theirs. I have unlimited downloads and thats exactly what it means. I am sure if you could download over 500gbs you could. * I am not saying you should though.

you should check out bonkers.ie for a bit more help. I am constantly trying to save money as is pretty much everyone and when I broke down the deals I was able to get and how much we were saving it was a no brainer. I do however think you are mad staying on eircom- emobile for the mobile service though, thats just my 2 cents worth.
    if you get stuck or need any more help drop me a pm. there are some things I cant talk about on an internet forum ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

how much is sky package

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

braddun wrote: »
    how much is sky package

€28.00 up. Phone & BB are €40.00. www.sky.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭fasterbetter

I have the evision from eircom on efibre for about a year and find it excellent...it is not impacted by the problems eircom are having with youtube and some other sites in evening peak. It will use some of your bandwidth about 3M for normal definition and 9M for a HD channel. So i,portant that you are getting reasonable efibre speed. you'd ideally like 30M or 40M +

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭ilovespudss

I have the evision from eircom on efibre for about a year and find it excellent...it is not impacted by the problems eircom are having with youtube and some other sites in evening peak. It will use some of your bandwidth about 3M for normal definition and 9M for a HD channel. So i,portant that you are getting reasonable efibre speed. you'd ideally like 30M or 40M +

Same as this,

I have evision for 3 months now and I can't fault it really, like the OP I was coming from the basic sky TV package and bar sky Atlantic and Sky1 I think they have pretty much the same package, for our viewing anyway.

I was lucky and got a friends and family offer that was floating around here a few months ago and got efibre, evision and phone for €30/m for 12 months.

I availed of eircoms eMobile offer of €24 euro sim free contract for unlimited calls and texts, 5gb of data and 4g. I know this mightn't suit everyone if you need a phone upgrade, and I use a out of data.

I'm happy out and was a huge saving from previously paying €26 for sky TV, €45 for efibre and €45 odd for a mediocre connect from Vodafone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭homingbird

IF you have a decent enough internet connection you could try xbmc for your live tv & movies also tesco do pay as you go mobile phone package for 15 euro landline & mobile so you cant go wrong the money you save should keep your car on the road awhile for free.

Thanks for the input folks.
    Based on above and having done my sums, I think we'll stick with the 28 euro basic sky package we have and I'll ring UPC Monday and go for the UPC basic package of Fibre Bundle which comes in at 450 euro over 18 months?
    I don't suppose you can haggle them down?!
    '60Mb Unlimited Fibre Power broadband' is what is listed as their internet provision in the package, how does this compare to what I am currently getting with eircom?
    Could 60Mb lead to an overcharge?
    Thanks!

• Advertisement

I dont understand what you mean about an overcharge? how?
    its worth noting that they say up to 60 meaning you might not get it.

My bad, daytob, thought the 60Mb thing might have something to do with usage, but clearly not.

jesus, that would only amount to downloading a few emails, id be fecked.
    just read it is unlimited, which should mean streaming via netflix or xbmc will be grand in case you were to use it for other means ;)

Advertisement