Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Anti Virus

Options
  • 01-05-2015 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭

Hey Lads help much appreciated here!

Bought the misses a very good laptop at Christmas €500 down from €750 I think. Anyway we got a free anti virus with it one of the usual ones Nortons or mcafee I think. anyway we got warnings that it was expiring (after a month or 2) and to upgrade etc basically purchase it for whatever it was. There was a yearly fee on top also.
    Anyway I stupidly taught it was a scam just to buy their product (I'm not good with computer tech) so let it run out. And we since have got a few viruses every time we click on a website on google chrome we want it directs us to a different website usually bet 365 and the likes, gets really annoying. A lad in work told me to but Microsoft defender on as this will be on the pc and it should be fine. Found out it was already on it!

So to cut a long story short my mate fixed my PC. So do I need a anti virus and could some one recommend a good one! (do you always have 2 pay a yearly fee to these?) My mate just told me to tell the misses to stay of FB :D As if that would happen!

I googled search them and Kaspersky got good reviews this stuff is all knew to me & am a bit pissed off after spending so much money that after a couple of months you have to shell out €50 or €60 on a anti virus you think you would at least get a year free!!!

Any help or general info would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

• Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

I use the combination of Avast Free Antivirus and Malwarebyes Free, and I never have any issues. Its nearly more important these days to use a spyware and malware scanner than a virus scanner - its malware and not a virus (generally) that causes weird browser pages appearing.

The Malwarebyes Free package can be downloaded from here:

http://filehippo.com/download_malwarebytes_anti_malware/

On the last installation screen, untick the "enable free trial" box.

Run a manual scan with this about once a month and you're set.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

benny79 wrote: »
    Hey Lads help much appreciated here!

Bought the misses a very good laptop at Christmas €500 down from €750 I think. Anyway we got a free anti virus with it one of the usual ones Nortons or mcafee I think. anyway we got warnings that it was expiring (after a month or 2) and to upgrade etc basically purchase it for whatever it was. There was a yearly fee on top also.
    Anyway I stupidly taught it was a scam just to buy their product (I'm not good with computer tech) so let it run out. And we since have got a few viruses every time we click on a website on google chrome we want it directs us to a different website usually bet 365 and the likes, gets really annoying. A lad in work told me to but Microsoft defender on as this will be on the pc and it should be fine. Found out it was already on it!

So to cut a long story short my mate fixed my PC. So do I need a anti virus and could some one recommend a good one! (do you always have 2 pay a yearly fee to these?) My mate just told me to tell the misses to stay of FB :D As if that would happen!

uI googled search them and Kaspersky got good reviews this stuff is all knew to me & am a bit pissed off after spending so much money that after a couple of months you have to shell out €50 or €60 on a anti virus you think you would at least get a year free!!!

Any help or general info would be greatly appreciated!

You normally would get a year but anyhow free alternatives are as good. Personally I use Microsoft Essentials (might be called something else now) along with Malwarebytes. Haven't had a virus in years. Careful download and browsing practice are also important. Other decent free ones are AVG and Avast. All have there pros and cons of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭benny79

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    I use the combination of Avast Free Antivirus and Malwarebyes Free, and I never have any issues. Its nearly more important these days to use a spyware and malware scanner than a virus scanner - its malware and not a virus (generally) that causes weird browser pages appearing.

The Malwarebyes Free package can be downloaded from here:

http://filehippo.com/download_malwarebytes_anti_malware/

On the last installation screen, untick the "enable free trial" box.

Run a manual scan with this about once a month and you're set.

Do you know what site (safe) I can get the Avast free Antivirus From mate?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭benny79

@Moredeith I agree I always taught you could get free ones so what was the point in paying for one anyway thanks for the help! all I need.

Dont want to cog the forum also seen the other thread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

I have norton anti virus. €50 a year, for 3 PC'S. Its worth it as I did a full scan yesterday, over 1million files, and there was 1 Major threat, which was resolved right away.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Malwarebytes is all you ever need.

benny79 wrote: »
    Do you know what site (safe) I can get the Avast free Antivirus From mate?

Sure, www.filehippo.com. Just keep an eye on the installers (asking you if you want to install browser addons or other free programs" but the software on there is legit, from what I've seen.

http://filehippo.com/download_avast_antivirus

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Why not get it direct from the maker and avoid the file hippo adware laden downloads and threats ?

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Eset ,kasperskey or sophos. Either of those used in conjunction with malware bytes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition is getting great reviews lately, It's lightweight and is advert and nag free too. (Download it from their own servers and not their partners)

Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition

That coupled with Malwarebytes will see you well covered.

Most important: Totally remove whatever trial version of Norton or McAfee before you deploy any other replacement on your system.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

I use Bitdefender AntiVirus Plus personally, but Kaspersky is right up there too.

As an aside, every time a thread like this comes up, somebody always says "I've been using X antivirus for Y years and I've never had a virus", as if all viruses are ransomware or make themselves immediately known to the user. There are plenty of pieces of malware which will do their best to stay hidden through something like DLL injection and sit in the address space of some other process. You're not going to see it in task manager or the startup tab, so the only way you're going to detect it is if your antivirus picks it up or you manually check with something like Process Explorer.

This is why you need to have a good antivirus or a sandbox (or just be insanely careful), and not something like MSE with it's pathetic 13.7% missed samples rate (AV-Comparatives - March 2015).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

Our job use ESET (I'd never heard of it prior to starting there) but it seems really effective, also as others have suggested Malware bytes seems to be very good too.

Something I really like with ESET (not sure if other AV software does this also) is that it will push out updates as new threats are detected / dealt with rather than just once a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,870 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

if you're in an area prone to viruses (ie. children) having malwarebytes handy is good, ESET is a name I hear a lot here; I've used webroot aplenty but my dad claims to get viruses (ie. he's dumb, does dumb things but you buy virus protection for idiot-proofing and that idiot broke it..)

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭CD8ED

Really recommend bitdefender. Avast is very in your face. Bitdefender just does its thing and doesn't tell you every half hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,870 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

You mean you found "VIRUS DATABASE HAS BEEN UPDATED!" gave you a heart attack or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭brevity

Avast and the pirate voice plugin is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Firblog

brevity wrote: »
    Avast and the pirate voice plugin is great.

Please tell me more :D yarr

• Registered Users Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭Joeface

used AVG for years but got tired of removing the avg tune up (which i believe is actually ask.com sh!te) from users PC's because the couldn't see the greyed out ignore button.

Found Bit defender was grand for the first 30days then the silly sign in with your facebook or register got annoying .

Moved onto Essentials , just does its thing in the back ground. also use in conjunction with Malwarebytes

download both and install using https://ninite.com/ and avoid any packaged or bundled crap ware

Just turn on Silent/Gaming mode in Avast and it never says a word.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,322 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I recently picked up a years licence for MWB for less than a euro on one of the key sites recently

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

Emsisoft anti spyware is all you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭al22

Malwarebytes is really good and free I have McAfee as well but subscription for 4 PC for two years was offered for 69+VAT total
    No virus problems for years
    Malwarebytes caught and fixed a lot of issues

Advertisement