Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Website issue

Options
  • 13-12-2014 5:59pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Guys i had 3 sites hosted by SNIP, recently they all started redirecting to some other site.

I informed SNIP and they said delete the sites on the ftp they have no back up though.. i ended up deleting them and they no longer redirect.

However there are some folders on the ftp site that i cannot delete, one is 1 of the websites folder, the other a logs folder. when i go into the website folder it has a number of subfolders in the name of the other 3 sites i had. they where not there before this is just a wordpress site.

Anyways, the ftp site was clearly hacked either through wordpress or directly. SNIP dont seem to want to do anything about it other than get me to delete folders.

Through the process of trying to figure out what was going on , ive found that through one of the websites, through a browser, you can actually see loads of folders on the hosting server you should not be able to see.

Ive emailed SNIP twice but no response.

Am i wrong in thinking that these guys should have a backup of my sites? ive gone through all this hassle trying to clear this stuff off myself and they dont seem too bothered by it. You can access stuff your not supposed to and they couldnt be bothered helping me out? Anyone else have SNIP hosting? ever had to have a website restored?

Apologies if im not posting in the right place, couldnt find a forum about the specific issues im having.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If the folders are open then the file perms were changed. Probably also why you cant delete them.

You should be able to use your management console to change the perms (CHMOD) to 700 (owner only) and also take ownership if needed.

These are the kind of functions the webmaster would normally do themselves but you'd think the host would provide basic CS to get you started.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=25
    That sub might be more relevant if you want the mods to move it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Thanks a lot, ill give that a go, its defo hacked i can see the \etc\passwd text file with all the usernames of everyone hosting on snip. there is two "boards" ones listed on there.. no reply from SNIP since yesterday morning when they told me to delete the website. ive sent them all this info but they have done nothing.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,010 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I will move this to the "Development" subforum where it is more appropriate. I have snipped out the names of the hosting provider as per boards rules regarding hosting provider discussion.

nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭col.in.Cr

How did you get on with the removing of the files?

I got an email saying it was escalated to senior admin, don't think I'm gonna get my websites back though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭col.in.Cr

yoyo wrote: »
    I will move this to the "Development" subforum where it is more appropriate. I have snipped out the names of the hosting provider as per boards rules regarding hosting provider discussion.

nick

Why not leave the name in? The hosting company seemed not be taking the threat seriously,At least people reading who are customers could get a heads up and take steps to secure their data.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

col.in.Cr wrote: »
    Why not leave the name in? The hosting company seemed not be taking the threat seriously,At least people reading who are customers could get a heads up and take steps to secure their data.

Boards.ie have a strict policy of not discussing hosting companies by name due to historical issues

@OP if the issue involves us please let me know: michele@blacknight.com

Understandable, doesnt involve Blacknight, thanks for following up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭daymobrew

And I thought that the hosting company name was actually "SNIP"

Advertisement