Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendations for Christmas Gifts

Options
  • 18-11-2015 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭

My brother isn't an avid comic book reader but he has a bit of collection and his favourites tend are Batman and The Preacher.

Would you have any recommendations that I can buy in Dublin stores (I like to support local shops at Christmas as much as I can)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

If he likes Preacher he'd probably enjoy Transmetropolitan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭MarkHall

Good Call on Transmet.

If you want to hit him in the emotions. Then get him a copy of We3.
    51FQPJugnxL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
    A great book for with stands alone and needs no other info to enjoy.

If you are based around Dundrum I'd reckommend shopping at The Big Bang
    The Staff there are quite helpful.

If you're Dublin based then Dublin City comics
    are Just nice.

Or you can go the Second hand section of Chapters will give you a quantity to your spending. But Quality can't be assured.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Johnner69

I'm all for supporting local shops, but Irish comics themselves could do with support also. Don't know if The Big Bang stock comics made in Ireland (they've certainly enough room to devote a shelf or two to them) but everyone should check out Irish Comic News for new and old titles - might unearth something there that will help fill a stocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

Johnner69 wrote: »
    I'm all for supporting local shops, but Irish comics themselves could do with support also. Don't know if The Big Bang stock comics made in Ireland (they've certainly enough room to devote a shelf or two to them) but everyone should check out Irish Comic News for new and old titles - might unearth something there that will help fill a stocking.

In that spirit I would recommend Finn and Fish by Leeann Hamilton. It's great!

Edited to add :that's a general recommendation, not specifically a recommendation for a fan of Preacher. But it's a great place to start with Irish comics and I'd recommend it to anyone looking to try Irish comics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭MarkHall

Johnner69 wrote: »
    I'm all for supporting local shops, but Irish comics themselves could do with support also. Don't know if The Big Bang stock comics made in Ireland.

Big Bang do support the Irish scene at home with shelf space. As well as a lot of other indie books.
    As well as being one of the only stores that regularly brings over Editors and Talent to our fair island to help up and comers make contacts with those in the industry.
    Just take a look at their past events to see their support of home grown Talents.

If you're going Irish books.
    Half past Danger from IDW. Created by our very own Stephen Mooney.
    A mix of Indiana Jones meets Lost world. Great book.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Johnner69

Well, in The Big Bang the works of Shalvey, Simpson, Mooney and Roche are usually fairly prominent. Otherwise, I wouldn't know where to put my hands on an Irish comic in the shop. I know that the Bang-organised Dublin International Comics Expo populates its guest- and exhibitor- lists with Irish creators and Irish imprints, but is there an actual Cardboard Press comic or a Phil Barrett comic stocked in the shop?

Remorse by Debbie Jenkinson is worth considering as a left-field Christmas present. Perhaps it captures a little too well the drudgery of a dispiriting situation, but it's well realised. The described inertia affects an emotional response, at any rate.

Advertisement