Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Name change after marriage

Options
  • 21-09-2015 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi all ,

I've decided to take the plunge and have a quick question regarding changing the name of my fiancée after we marry.
    What we've decided to do is get married aboard , but for legal reasons we'd like the marriage to take place in Ireland before hand ( so essentially it's just a fake ceremony abroad for the friends and family).
    So once we get married in Ireland it was expected she'd change her surname.

The only thing I'm worried about is the name change. In regards to travelling since we've already booked flights etc , do I need to be cautious about her changing name until we're back from honeymoon . Just there's a lot of things booked in her current name flights/hotels/contracts etc

Anyway sorry if this is a stupid question !

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Name change is by usage rather than by law.

When travelling book tickets in the name of the passport.

If she wants to use your name when married on bank accounts etc just bring in the marriage cert to the bank to change it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

Book everything in the name on your fiancee's passport. And in the name of any credit cards used.

For example If my real name is Bicycle Wheel and I'm marrying Mr Chain, and my passport is in the name of Bicycle Wheel but I book flights in the name of Bicycle Chain then problems can occur. Similarly if I book a hire car using a credit card with the name Bicycle Wheel but bring over a new credit card with the name Bicycle Chain to actually take out the car, I won't be able to.

None of your family need to know or see the names on any documentation.

There is no rush to get the names changed officially. Hopefully you'll be married long enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

The name doesn't change automatically on marriage, if she presents herself at the airport with her passport in Ms. X and the flight is booked in Ms. X she'll get on the flight. Chances are there won't be time to order a new passport before you head off to be married.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Id imagine it'll take several weeks to get a marriage cert anyway. It takes several weeks to get a birth cert, from the hse, for a child born in a hse hospital...
    If you have a solmeniser (sp) who isn't a hse employee it might be longer...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Id imagine it'll take several weeks to get a marriage cert anyway. It takes several weeks to get a birth cert, from the hse, for a child born in a hse hospital...
    If you have a solmeniser (sp) who isn't a hse employee it might be longer...

We picked ours up after our honeymoon from Lombard St. There were some documents to sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

I changed my name after marriage last year but my passport is still in my maiden name as I only had it 2 years and didn't want to fork out for a new one. Have been abroad a few times, including to the States, and have had no issues. I just make sure to book flights and hotels in my maiden name. It hasn't been an issue that my bank cards and passport have different names.

Advertisement