Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sussex Stakes

Options
  • 26-07-2012 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭

Oh can't wait for this race:rolleyes:

So Frankel is probably going to meet the weakest field in his career on August 1st in the Sussex Stakes.

I Just hope its a nice warm-up for the York International.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Overthelast

Ditto. I'm fortunate enough to be heading over. Not a betting race for me, simply a race to enjoy & I hope all current entries stand their ground on the day. I watched last years renewal from the steps of the parade ring at the Galway Races on the big screen & was blown away by his performance. Hoping for something similar (am I asking too much?!).

Sterling is very expensive at the moment. For those looking to cut out cost of commission, I discovered the ould Post Office is competitive on rates.

Now, must dash - trying to get a get a nice shirt to go with my panama hat :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

Ditto. I'm fortunate enough to be heading over. Not a betting race for me, simply a race to enjoy & I hope all current entries stand their ground on the day. I watched last years renewal from the steps of the parade ring at the Galway Races on the big screen & was blown away by his performance. Hoping for something similar (am I asking too much?!).

Sterling is very expensive at the moment. For those looking to cut out cost of commission, I discovered the ould Post Office is competitive on rates.

Now, must dash - trying to get a get a nice shirt to go with my panama hat :)

Before Cheltenham last March I was buying 600 sterling and the post office were only €4 cheaper than the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭tryfix

I'm looking forward to seeing Frankel taking on a proper 10f Gp1 horse like Farhh in this race. Farhh won't be good enough to beat him over 8f, but if he can close in on Frankel at the finish it'll give us an idea of how Frankel rates against the proper 10f to 12f horses. If Frankel blows away Farhh and they both pull clear, then there's little doubt that Frankel will stay 10f comfortably. If Frankel just gets home from Farhh in the sussex, he'll look vulnerable in the Juddmonte and the top 10f horses won't be afraid of taking him on.

The Sussex is down to four runners, Frankel and his pacemaker Bullet Train, the 10f horse Farhh and Gabrial a horse who's never even placed in a Group race. Very disappointing turnout, but he can only race with what's put in front of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Send him over 10f already, He can't be beaten over a mile most likely over 10f either, And tbh at a stretch i'd say 12f. His full brother Noble mission stays 12f no problem, What's to suggest Frankel won't?

They'll up him to 10f for two races he'll blow the opposition away and everyone will be wondering what could have been.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

baraca wrote: »
    Send him over 10f already, He can't be beaten over a mile most likely over 10f either, And tbh at a stretch i'd say 12f. His full brother Noble mission stays 12f no problem, What's to suggest Frankel won't?

They'll up him to 10f for two races he'll blow the opposition away and everyone will be wondering what could have been.

true, is there anyway i wonder could he win the York international in such a way that connections could go for the Arc. Maybe if he stretches away and puts 6-7 lenghts in last furlong between himself and a top class 12f horse like
    st-nic-abbey.

It would have to be prince abdullah's call though as Henry Cecil seems very stuck in his ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Zarkandar

Frankel is achieving/proving nothing by winning this race again, the reputation of this horse is being damaging by connections not letting me run in proper races like the Eclipse. He's never run outside England and never over at any trips outside of 7f or 8f, talk about unambitious.

Also saw the trends for this race, why aren't a few good 3yos running, they seem to do well with their allowance, won last 4. I know there's no 3yo miler who can beat Frankel but running him within 5 lengths would grow the stature of any 3yo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

4 runners, one a pace maker. Why are there no fillies in here trying to get a bit of black type?

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Zarkandar

UrbanSea wrote: »
    4 runners, one a pace maker. Why are there no fillies in here trying to get a bit of black type?

Pacemaker and 2 horses that have won class 2 handicaps but never even won a listed race (though I know Farhh's run well in group 1's). Prize money for 2nd-3rd-4th isn't bad, pretty crazy others haven't tried to get some of it

• Registered Users Posts: 13,293 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Its easy in hindsight when it breaks down to 4 runners to wish you'd run your 100 rated mare to get type.
    But to get to the 48 hour decs stage you'd have had to pay three entry stages and there'd always be a possibility of it ending up a 15 runner high quality affair.

• Advertisement

There'd usually be one half decent fully and with no Excelebration entered that would have been at least an improvement for perspective runners. Anyone any idea how many runners were entered before this?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,293 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Fairly sure I read there was 8 at the 5day stage.
    And accrding to this there was 37 initial entries in May but sadly doesn't list them all.
    http://www.goodwood.co.uk/horse-racing/news/articles/frankel-heads-37-entries-for-qipco-sussex-stakes.aspx
    There would also have been a second confirmation stage in early July.

a field of 4 so depressing, 3 runners really with bullet train in it.

only way maybe if dettori manages to get queally with mind games, frankel to good though even if queally has a bad ride.

I'd nearly like to see Frankel beaten in this so others won't be afraid to take him on. In all honesty it'd have to be tactics to beat him though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Overthelast

Race has cut up real bad. Pity, it's just going to be like a gallops workout. Oh well...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'm shocked and amazed - the pot is huge surely picking up a big cheque for not winning would have tempted connections who might have a progressive horse 100+ rated horse who can have its first go at Group 1?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

I'd nearly like to see Frankel beaten in this so others won't be afraid to take him on. In all honesty it'd have to be tactics to beat him though

There should be a few more to take him on when he goes up to 10F. Hopefully. It's a shame he'll probably never meet Camelot though.

And there's surely no way he can be beaten in this one, tactics or otherwise. If Frankel runs to anything near his best it's hard to see it being anything other than a procession. Seems a bit pointless him running in this again. Was obvious that his demolition job the last day was going to scare all the milers away so why not go up in trip now? All the indications are that he'll stay 10F comfortably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭hucklebuck

YAWN.

Yet another race for Frankel in his comfort zone, no matter how he wins it will be an "incredible performance by Frankel" throw in the word "superlative" and groundhog day.

I hope Dettori heads for the front and trys use stamina to give his horse an outside chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭RichieLawlor

hucklebuck wrote: »
    YAWN.

Yet another race for Frankel in his comfort zone, no matter how he wins it will be an "incredible performance by Frankel" throw in the word "superlative" and groundhog day.

I hope Dettori heads for the front and trys use stamina to give his horse an outside chance.

I think the godolphin could join in after a furlong and still get hammered today

Most definitely but would like to see the only half decent horse who runs over 10f at least try something different though Dettori will probably just give his usual ride, sit behind and wait!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

Frankel being matched at 1.05 on Betfair eventhough Farhh is 20 to lay. Not only is laying at 20 better than backing at 1.05 you also get the 2 rags running for you as a bonus.

Same thing happens all the time in sports with 2 outcomes when the favourite is long odds on (eg a tennis match in the early rounds of a Grand Slam)

Prices might be 1.04 to back 1.05 to lay on the favourite.

Outsider could be 23 to back 24 to lay say.

All the money is matched on the hot favourite despite the fact it's better to back the outsider than lay the favourite & better to lay the outsider than back the favourite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭RichieLawlor

Frankel being matched at 1.05 on Betfair eventhough Farhh is 20 to lay. Not only is laying at 20 better than backing at 1.05 you also get the 2 rags running for you as a bonus.

Same thing happens all the time in sports with 2 outcomes when the favourite is long odds on (eg a tennis match in the early rounds of a Grand Slam)

Prices might be 1.04 to back 1.05 to lay on the favourite.

Outsider could be 23 to back 24 to lay say.

All the money is matched on the hot favourite despite the fact it's better to back the outsider than lay the favourite & better to lay the outsider than back the favourite

There are other horses running in this race? Who'd have thunk it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Farrh never got in a blow. For anyone who didn't see it this was Frankel's easiest win. 6 lengths at an absolute stroll. I'm surprised Frankie didn't go off in front and at least try and get Frankel working. Made sure of second I think.

Ridiculously easy win and thankfully the last time we'll see him at a mile. He's likely to be too hot to handle at 1M2F aswell though.

EDIT: For anyone that wants to knock the form bear this in mind. Farrh is a top class animal in his own right, rated 122, and today Frankel trounced him like he was a class 5 handicapper. He's simply on a different planet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

aidan24326 wrote: »
    For anyone that wants to knock the form bear this in mind. Farrh is a top class animal in his own right, rated 122, and today Frankel trounced him like he was a class 5 handicapper. He's simply on a different planet.

Don't think anyone was gonna knock the form unless he was beaten or it turned scrappy

On the other hand I don't think too many people will have learned an awful lot. Frankel is an absolute beast & now steps up to 10f hopefully

what i think is amazing is how frankel gets every horse "at it" while he is still on the bridle, often from half way. The jockey only pushes him out only for style.

If mick kinane was the jockey he might have had 12 1 length victories like the rock of Gibraltar and sea the stars

If mick kinane was the jockey he might have had 12 1 length victories like the rock of Gibraltar and sea the stars

Both of them idled when they hit the front and picked up again if they needed to. Frankel is a galloper. Simples

hucklebuck wrote: »
    Both of them idled when they hit the front and picked up again if they needed to. Frankel is a galloper. Simples

Your totally wrong there, have a look at Mick Kinanes quotes on both the horses I'm on about and he says that he never extend them beyond 90%, that's just the way he always ridden.
    While there is a nervousness in the Frankel camp, of never getting the horse in trouble that's why they have bullet train in every race and they let Frankel gallop along near the front of affairs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 307 ✭✭CodyJarrett

what i think is amazing is how frankel gets every horse "at it" while he is still on the bridle, often from half way.

I didn't expect that at all.

Had a good bit on Frankel to win by up to and including 8 lengths (which came up) but thought it would be more like three or four lengths.

Amazing horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

I think Frankel is a great horse but something tells me he's over rated, lets be honest he hasn't really met any top top class milers, apart from an injured Canford Cliffs (Cracked Knee) who ran him to within 5 lenghts and giving him 8lbs.

His win at Ascot were you have Side Glance 11 lenghts back in 3rd who then comes out next race and gets beat by a Group 3 horse (Sri Putra) by 4 1/2L is hardly impressive form.

I just think unless he steps up to 10f/12f and does this to the likes of Camelot, Nathaniel & Cirrus Des Aigles etc. and in a top race like the Arc or Breeders Cup Classic you cant class him as The G.O.A.T

In my honest opinion I would rate Hawk Wings demolition job in the Lockinge as more impressive than any of Frankels wins.

• Advertisement

Gringo180 wrote: »
    I think Frankel is a great horse but something tells me he's over rated, lets be honest he hasn't really met any top top class milers, apart from an injured Canford Cliffs (Cracked Knee) who ran him to within 5 lenghts and giving him 8lbs.

His win at Ascot were you have Side Glance 11 lenghts back in 3rd who then comes out next race and gets beat by a Group 3 horse (Sri Putra) by 4 1/2L is hardly impressive form.

I just think unless he steps up to 10f/12f and does this to the likes of Camelot, Nathaniel & Cirrus Des Aigles etc. and in a top race like the Arc or Breeders Cup Classic you cant class him as The G.O.A.T

In my honest opinion I would rate Hawk Wings demolition job in the Lockinge as more impressive than any of Frankels wins.
    I've been reluctant to go with the hype, but Frankel has already done enough to be considered one of the greatest of all time. Not quite as impressive in what he has achieved so far as Brigadier Gerard was, not as versatile as Dancing Brave, not even as impressive as Harbingers King George win.

But he's done it time after time, 3 seasons undefeated, his Royal Lodge win as a 2 yo, his devastating 2,000 Guineas win at 3yo and his Queen Anne romp as a 4 yo. He's just got better and better, he's matured from the good looking bull of a 2yo he was into an uglier harder stronger machine of a horse.

He's truly a freak of a horse, I can't put him ahead of the all time greats on what he's done at a mile. A soft Juddmonte over 10F won't tell us much, but if he retires undefeated in the style we've become accustomed to, he's the best horse I've seen.

Advertisement