Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Girl lied about 'sex assault' out of loyalty to her family

• 10-02-2009 5:25pm

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/girl-lied-about-sex-assault-out-of-loyalty-to-her-family-1634063.html
    A MAN falsely accused of sexually assaulting a 10-year-old girl had his conviction quashed yesterday.
    The girl admitted making up the allegation and said it was done out of "revenge and misplaced loyalty to my family" because of a dispute over land.
    The Court of Criminal Appeal (CCA) heard yesterday the DPP was not challenging the man's appeal against conviction, and the court said, on that basis, it would quash the conviction
    In 1999 the man, from the west of Ireland and now in his mid-30s, received a suspended four-year prison sentence at Galway Circuit Court. He had been found guilty of sexually assaulting and of assaulting the girl near her home in Co Galway in January 1997.
    He had vehemently denied the charges.
    The girl, whose family were in dispute with the family of the man over land, claimed he had sexually assaulted her, but later said she wanted to tell the truth, so his name could be cleared.
    In 2006 the girl, who is now in her 20s and resides outside of the country, made statements to the gardai withdrawing her complaints against the man.
    The girl also admitted that her original complaints were fabricated and false in their entirety.
    Revenge
    She told gardai that none of the allegations against the man were true and that her motivation for making them was "revenge and misplaced loyalty to my family".
    She also admitted that she had never come into contact with the man, nor had any conversations with him at any stage in his life, and that she was never coerced or coached by anyone.
    The court yesterday had the man's application to have his conviction declared a miscarriage of justice adjourned to next month's list to fix dates.

little feker. this is one of the things that anger me most.. one eejit can ruin a man's life with bad lies.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,108 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I heard he moved to Athlone and is writing kids books under the pseudonym of Snyper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

I heard he went on a raping spree after it as he knew he was already going down. Today he posts from his cellblock as Frada

It says in the article the man is in his 30's. As everybody knows Frada is 21 so it couldn't have been him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

That's scary, she never even spoke to the man yet they had enough evidence to convict him? And it took 10 years for the truth to come out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Mingey

Maybe Frada is the girl in question?

Ffs...how does a 6 year old know what sexual assault is?

Edit: Oh she was 10. Still though....can't have done it all on her own, can she?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

The kid is hardly to blame, given the age. It's her fucked up family that should be locked up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

A MAN falsely accused of sexually assaulting a 10-year-old girl had his conviction quashed yesterday.
    The girl admitted making up the allegation and said it was done out of "revenge and misplaced loyalty to my family" because of a dispute over land.
    The Court of Criminal Appeal (CCA) heard yesterday the DPP was not challenging the man's appeal against conviction, and the court said, on that basis, it would quash the conviction
    In 1999 the man, from the west of Ireland and now in his mid-30s, received a suspended four-year prison sentence at Galway Circuit Court. He had been found guilty of sexually assaulting and of assaulting the girl near her home in Co Galway in January 1997.
    He had vehemently denied the charges.
    The girl, whose family were in dispute with the family of the man over land, claimed he had sexually assaulted her, but later said she wanted to tell the truth, so his name could be cleared.
    In 2006 the girl, who is now in her 20s and resides outside of the country, made statements to the gardai withdrawing her complaints against the man.
    The girl also admitted that her original complaints were fabricated and false in their entirety.
    Revenge
    She told gardai that none of the allegations against the man were true and that her motivation for making them was "revenge and misplaced loyalty to my family".
    She also admitted that she had never come into contact with the man, nor had any conversations with him at any stage in his life, and that she was never coerced or coached by anyone.
    The court yesterday had the man's application to have his conviction declared a miscarriage of justice adjourned to next month's list to fix dates.

How the hell did he get convicted if he'd never even met the girl? Do they just take the word of all 10 year old girls in these cases? That paedophile episode of Brass Eye springs to mind.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭Turd Ferguson

javaboy wrote: »
    It says in the article the man is in his 30's. As everybody knows Frada is 21 so it couldn't have been him.

Or maybe thats a lie :confused::confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,108 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Ah my ninja editting skills are no match to your Supermod powers!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Since he already did the time, should he be allowed to sexually assault her to make things even?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,197 ✭✭✭✭Crash

orestes wrote: »
    Since he already did the time, should he be allowed to sexually assault her to make things even?
    Yes, but she would have to dress up as a ten year old.

• Advertisement

orestes wrote: »

Double Jeopardy? I think he would have to assaut her of she was a minor, which she isn't anymore.

Fair play to her for coming clean. It can't be the easiest thing to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭ayapatrick

The dirty tramp wants a kick in the teeth!
    Can he bring any sort of civil action against her now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Homer

Yes, but she would have to dress up as a ten year old.

He could flip her over and pretend she was a 10 year old boy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

One would hope that karma sorts her out.

ayapatrick wrote: »
    The dirty tramp wants a kick in the teeth!
    Can he bring any sort of civil action against her now?

AAaaaand here come the angry mob.

Dude, she was 10. There were obviously other forces at play here. She never even met the guy. The family who used her could do with getting their teeth kicked then be thrown into jail to be ass ****ed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

I thought this was the norm in Galway?

I hear kiddie fiddlers are popular in prison these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Lockstep

And this boys and girls, is why I oppose any attempts to castrate/execute convicted sex offenders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭RaverRo808

F*cking bitch,bullet to both knees,then to stomach,leave her in freezing cold dark room in agony for 3 hours,and come back and one shot to the head to finish the little b*tch off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Declan Thyme

You would think he'd be entitled to some compensation. The poor guy must be so dissillusioned with the justice system. In her defence, at least she came forward, even though she took her time.....

RaverRo808 wrote: »
    F*cking bitch,bullet to both knees,then to stomach,leave her in freezing cold dark room in agony for 3 hours,and come back and one shot to the head to finish the little b*tch off

Bit bleeding-heart this, isn't it? What happened to real punishment?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭SoWatchaWant

Can juries never get anything right? Especially when there's so much at stake?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Sounds like the parents were behind it. What 10 year old gives a crap about a land dispute enough to pull a stunt like that?

Keep the paedo jokes to a minimum please.

Sounds like the parents were behind it. What 10 year old gives a crap about a land dispute enough to pull a stunt like that?

This.

And now it would seem that she's come clean, which is to be commended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Can juries never get anything right? Especially when there's so much at stake?

A Jury makes its decision based on the information it receives. The prosecution must have made a better case then the defense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

blame the guards,
    what was the evidence, cant just take a girls word for it ? locations etc etc ?

Keep the paedo jokes to a minimum please.

what about pedro jokes?

And this boys and girls, is why I oppose any attempts to castrate/execute convicted sex offenders.

Yeah, but the fault lies with the jury on not getting it right, not on the idea of execution itself. Focus on making sure you get the right verdict, not simply going easy on all of them in case there's one that might be innocent. People should take jury duty more seriously, I guess. Either that or our psychologists are ****, and are fooled by a ten year old.

The prosecution must have made a better case then the defense.

How strong could the prosecution possibly be with no evidence? The jury should have seen that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

What a well-thought-out comment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Should've posted this in LL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭ZzubZzub

How the hell did he get convicted if he'd never even met the girl? Do they just take the word of all 10 year old girls in these cases? That paedophile episode of Brass Eye springs to mind.

Quite possibly one of the greatest programmes ever!!

I still can't get my head around how all this happened, seeing how they never even met!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭994

Oh no! A cold, dark room! That's going too far... And I suppose your parents wouldn't have been able to force you into doing something like that when you were 10?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭994

Sounds like the parents were behind it. What 10 year old gives a crap about a land dispute enough to pull a stunt like that
    Was it Pat Kenny's daughter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

It's already in humanities. Personally, I think the legal system is to blame as much as anyone. A triumph for the Irish legal system. Rumour is enough to convict.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Placebo wrote: »
    blame the guards,

Why? The Gards are told of an offence so they arrest the guy. They didnt run the prosecution and sit on the jury.

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    . Rumour is enough to convict.

The "victims" statement hardly qualifies as a rumour. Being convicted based on something someone two towns over heard happened would be a rumour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭MJOR

God love him.... what a terrible thing to do but at ten how did she know what to do

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

Sick. She was only 12 when she accused him too???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

10 - so hardly without her family's support/coercion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Mingey wrote: »
    Maybe Frada is the girl in question?

No, I actually did have sex with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

What an unfortunate ad placement...

F4F47CC618EB41F98D4FB382177DABA9.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Insane.

Stuff like these makes my blood boil.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,517 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

While in theory, the girl in question, or her parents, should be held in some way accountable for this, I take a more pragmatic line: would anyone own up for these things if there were harsh consequences for doing so? At least his name is cleared, officially, which is more than he could have hoped for otherwise.

I believe in some countries you can get compensation based on loss of earnings from the state.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

The guy's lawyer should be struck off, jailed even, for losing such a case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

ScumLord wrote: »
    That's scary, she never even spoke to the man yet they had enough evidence to convict him? And it took 10 years for the truth to come out.

Was thinkin' the same myself. We all know how difficult it can
    be to obtain a sexual conviction in rape and child sex cases; yet this
    girl never even met the man and he was convicted. Something
    stinks. What sort of defence had he?

I would say there is a whole lot of corruption involved, but even still, it
    would have to be well well planned and covered to get a conviction.

Surely, Garda investigations, cross examination, research and all
    that would have discovered the man not having even met the 'victim?':rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Insanity, horrible. Hope the guy sues and ends up owning the disputed land.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

And the crap that she was never coerced or coached is just that,. crap.

Are we to believe that a 12 year old girl could have done all this
    and covered all the tracks and little details and lies all by herself?:rolleyes:

Then again, it is against the Gardai!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Yeah, but the fault lies with the jury on not getting it right, not on the idea of execution itself. Focus on making sure you get the right verdict, not simply going easy on all of them in case there's one that might be innocent. People should take jury duty more seriously, I guess. Either that or our psychologists are ****, and are fooled by a ten year old.

Not really, it shows that juries are fallible. Unless you can come up with a system with a foolproof jury, execution makes no sense.
    If you consider opposing execution as "going easy on them" then I really cannot help you.

Then again, maybe I'm just biased against the law system as I am studying it and can see that no jury will ever be foolproof.
    It is for exactly that reason that I oppose irreversible sentences, because they might be guilty.

Advertisement