Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Stolen Bikes Thread - Mod Note please read post #1 before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

domireland wrote: »
    - In conclusion you are best of to buy back your own property

If you see your bike advertised on a site.

I would recommend going along with the ruse. When you meet the buyer ask if you can take it for a test ride which would be normal. Once you're away you're just out for a ride on your bike. If you have any doubts arrange a meeting near a garda station and cycle to it on your test drive.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    If you see your bike advertised on a site.

I would recommend going along with the ruse. When you meet the buyer ask if you can take it for a test ride which would be normal. Once you're away you're just out for a ride on your bike. If you have any doubts arrange a meeting near a garda station and cycle to it on your test drive.

Are they really that dumb? I've no direct experience, but it would seem like a fairly obvious fail.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Are they really that dumb? I've no direct experience, but it would seem like a fairly obvious fail.

I have heard two people who claim this has worked, one brought a friend to wait with the person so it looked like they were coming back and then the friend walked off. The second just asked to see did it fit/feel comfortable and tore off once far enough away.

The other opinion given to me was not to offer asking, it is too suspicious, offer half or a little bit more if in good condition. Quick sale and the fact that they presume the owner would offer full value to guarantee the meet up.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭oflahero

2nd bike in two weeks - RIP my lovely Tommasini steel frame, which got me into road biking and racing. Taken from a locked back garden shed.

A bit like the ship of Theseus, there was little of the original left bar the frame - just the quill stem and saddle. Nice new 105 on her. She'll be missed. Pretty distinctive, so stick a stick in the spokes for me if you see a scummer riding an obviously-too-big-for-him Italian tig-welded Columbus steel framer.

ByaCvIj.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

oflahero wrote: »
    2nd bike in two weeks - RIP my lovely Tommasini steel frame, which got me into road biking and racing. Taken from a locked back garden shed.

A bit like the ship of Theseus, there was little of the original left bar the frame - just the quill stem and saddle. Nice new 105 on her. She'll be missed. Pretty distinctive, so stick a stick in the spokes for me if you see a scummer riding an obviously-too-big-for-him Italian tig-welded Columbus steel framer.

ByaCvIj.jpg

Damn!!!!
    I remember you on boards spins on that bike.
    Sorry to hear that.

• Advertisement

Planet X wrote: »
    Damn!!!!
    I remember you on boards spins on that bike.
    Sorry to hear that.

Ah ta PX. I remember those spins well. Dems wuz the days, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

Trek 1.5 stolen from a locked bicycle cage in Carrickmines, was locked within the cage also.
    Will update with an actual pic when I can get one. The model stolen had a triple front chain ring with a Shimano Sora shifter.
    388725.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Remember that bike well, myself. The pot-holed roads of Co. Wicklow could break Garmin mounts but not that bike! Sorry to hear it was stolen Oflahero. And two bike in as many weeks... pisser. Something like Clane Steel sheds are the way to go for bike security.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭delynet

Posting on behalf of a work colleague. Stolen from outside university college hospital in Galway yesterday evening. If anyone spots anything could they DM me, thanks in advance.

Focus super bud expert
    388902.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Jmcmen

Back here again unfortunately, if you can keep an eye out for this taken from Dublin 15 area last night it would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 doozerydoo

Black and green Felt F95 2014 road bike stolen from outside the Credit Union in Inchicore yesterday evening :(

Can't add an image as I'm a new member.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

Folks does anyone know anyone who had a pinarelo stolen?
    The guy trying to shift this on is certainly not a pinarelo type of guy if you get my drift, pm me if needs be. Pic attached best I could get.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 AJC30

2 bikes stolen from a back Terrace in Ashtown region Cube Tonopah Pro and a Jupiter Tucson both black trekking bikes. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

This was recovered sometime in the last week or 2, and I was told about it by someone claiming it was 'just like mine' (a cargo bike!).

appears to be a batavus, with a samax trailer. how someone can not see the obvious difference between a cargo bike and a bike with trailer is beyond me, but anyway, if you know of anyone missing such a bike, recovered in south dublin, let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭park500

Black/stealth Canyon with red decals, Endurace Cf,stolen from back garden 2 nights ago Dublin 6.
    Possible sighting by boardsie in bluebell last night.
    Pleas keep an eye out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

https://www.facebook.com/emully/posts/10154131733295733

2 BIKES STOLEN in Kilcoole Co Wicklow! BMC TM01 tt , Di2 with SRM cranks(pic below) has ISM Saddle &BLUE AC1 SL well used white road bike with one white and one black pedal and stages left crank, white Cobb saddle, mavic wheels. Please share

13620160_10154131729630733_1832006654921286967_n.jpg?oh=8247824509d71a771d8773316b928072&oe=5832A33F

13612214_10154131742070733_6881761035116715501_n.jpg?oh=4215360608500ce79393cd6822e1aa6c&oe=57F5D106

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭daithi

Stolen from Shed in the middle of the night in Stepaside, bike is the same model as picture, but it has Mucky Nuts protectors, fully custom heli-taped frame and Shimano SPD's.Maxxis High rollers front and back.

It has stickers on it for the Emerald Enduro world series which includes my name and Race number (181) The number will be in the forks and wheels also. It is very traceable back to me for a number of reasons.

Bike means quite a lot to me, reward for info relating to return.
    max_WICKED_650B_pro_72dpi_599114.jpg?1398788059

daithi wrote: »
    Stolen from Shed in the middle of the night in Stepaside, bike is the same model as picture, but it has Mucky Nuts protectors, fully custom heli-taped frame and Shimano SPD's.Maxxis High rollers front and back.

It has stickers on it for the Emerald Enduro world series which includes my name and Race number (181) The number will be in the forks and wheels also. It is very traceable back to me for a number of reasons.
    max_WICKED_650B_pro_72dpi_599114.jpg?1398788059

Spotted on the Kylemore road. Person was unable to grab the bike, but that's where it is. Guards alerted.
    I took a drive around myself to see and I didn't see my bike but there are a lot of lads riding around on suspect bikes. Saw a beautiful scott road bike in orange and black that stood out like a sore thumb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Spotted on the Kylemore road. Person was unable to grab the bike, but that's where it is. Guards alerted.
    I took a drive around myself to see and I didn't see my bike but there are a lot of lads riding around on suspect bikes. Saw a beautiful scott road bike in orange and black that stood out like a sore thumb.

Labre Park, not too far from there. Dont even consider going in for a poke around.!!

God that hurts. F'ing sheds. I've my (one) remaining bike indoors now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

God that hurts. F'ing sheds. I've my (one) remaining bike indoors now.
    my "bike shed" is our downstairs toilet.

sorry for your troubles, hope you get a positive outcome on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

As regards changing the bikes 'sleeping' arrangements, I'm wondering how well received the following conversation would be:

"Darling, would you mind terribly not climbing out of the bunk-bed on that side? You might collide with the bikes and upset the derailleurs!"

Like you, I can forsee no problems whatsoever with this line of action. Now, can anyone recommend me a place to get bunk-beds (and a good divorce lawyer)?

Labre Park, not too far from there. Dont even consider going in for a poke around.!!

The Person seen on the bike did not look Irish, they made a rough guess that they/parents might have originated from India or Pakistan. The person was reasonably well dressed, jeans and a zip up top, informed the witness that the bike was bought in Drimnagh but that could be lies.
    They were close enough to be certain this was my bike from the unique features
    Witness had to make a hasty exit when a number of tracksuit wearing individuals started to surround him.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

The Person seen on the bike did not look Irish, they made a rough guess that they/parents might have originated from India or Pakistan. The person was reasonably well dressed, jeans and a zip up top, informed the witness that the bike was bought in Drimnagh but that could be lies.
    They were close enough to be certain this was my bike from the unique features
    Witness had to make a hasty exit when a number of tracksuit wearing individuals started to surround him.

Out of interest, was anything else in the shed taken? Are thieves targeting bikes specifically now or taking them as part of a 'general' break in.

The resale value on these must be tiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Smurphette

This bike was stolen from a bike cage in an underground car park in Kilmainham. It has a black water bottle holder on it.

Thanks

mloc123 wrote: »
    Out of interest, was anything else in the shed taken? Are thieves targeting bikes specifically now or taking them as part of a 'general' break in.

The resale value on these must be tiny.

Nothing else taken, including another bike that didnt have pedals and was not setup so you coudl ride it. There was other stuff that could have been stolen

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Had one stolen outside my job on Kildare St on Friday. Almost new Specialized Hybrid.
    What's the protocol? Is there anything I can do? I would imagine telling the Garda is pointless.
    I assume they would respray, and hold off on selling them for a while?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

Had one stolen outside my job on Kildare St on Friday. Almost new Specialized Hybrid.
    What's the protocol? Is there anything I can do? I would imagine telling the Garda is pointless.
    I assume they would respray, and hold off on selling them for a while?

I would assume the opposite. Tell the gardai. Give them the frame number. Also watch Adverts and Done Deal because whoever took it is likely to try to sell it on quickly so they don't get caught in possession. It also wouldn't be worth their while respraying it and attaching decals etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

traprunner wrote: »
    I would assume the opposite. Tell the gardai. Give them the frame number. Also watch Adverts and Done Deal because whoever took it is likely to try to sell it on quickly so they don't get caught in possession. It also wouldn't be worth their while respraying it and attaching decals etc.

I don't have the frame number, not even sure where I'd find that. I'll take a look around adverts and donedeal now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭cython

I don't have the frame number, not even sure where I'd find that. I'll take a look around adverts and donedeal now.

Not much good to you now, but generally it's stamped/engraved on the underside of the bottom bracket (can vary across manufacturers though). Depending on where you bought it (since you say almost new), the shop might have recorded this when it was sold, so no harm in asking them if they have it.

Advertisement