Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,258 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Y U NO SAVE FLICKIES???

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Nintendo love continues unbounded in Chez Ciderman as I spent an hour with Metroid Other M.
    Having spent the years since its release feeling hard done by after the Prime titles I remember Johnny U saying it was good and I was full of it, not his exact words but close as makes no difference.
    And how right he was.
    Its a blast.
    Only problems are some interesting times controlling Samus with a d pad in 3d space, unskippable cut scenes and terrible voice acting, not to mention the mysogeny.
    But its great fun and has a real Super Metroid vibe to it, looks great too, playing through the WiiU.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,724 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Don't get wrong, Other M isn't a stone cold masterpiece, but it is a really enjoyable and offbeat effort, that successfully mixes around the series formula a little bit with strong level design and plenty of good ideas. It's one of those cases where I always felt the game's undeniable shortcomings - most obviously the suspect storytelling and controller quirks - were used to almost wholly dismiss what was, in many other ways, a very strong game. I especially think the change of pace was welcome after the Metroid Prime series seemed to be suffering something of a creative slowdown: Prime 3 was still an excellent game, but wasn't exactly a particularly ambitious or revolutionary sequel. Team Ninja's fresh perspective, even if imperfect, was needed, and happily Retro Studios themselves had the chance to try something completely different.

Interesting to see if Nintendo or some third party opt to revisit the series somewhere along the line.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

A WiiU Metroid now, with a permamap on the Gamepad please.
    Unfortunately you know you'll be doing interminable "scanning" with it, fun for five minutes or so, though it was nicely part of the Prime titles, stolen by the Rocksteady Batman games!

It shares an important element with the Mario and Zelda titles and that's the little sonic stings that let you know you're at home, when you power up a missile tank, kick jump off a wall, or lay down a power bomb, even with eyes closed you know what game you're playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

If you cut out all the cutscenes where Samus is
    subservient to Adam, or where she is paralysed by fear by Ridley
    OtherM is a pretty decent, different, fun Metroid 2.5D game.

(But WTF is with the weird name?)

• Advertisement

No idea, given it was team ninja we can only be thankful they didn't include use defined Samus breast bounciness as an option.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,843 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

(But WTF is with the weird name?)

Other M is an anagram of Mother, because of the 'baby' metroid. Yes it is that dumb.

That game sometimes makes itself very hard to like.

Maybe it makes more sense in the original Klingon? Achilles, help here?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,843 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

So near the end of shin megami tensei 4 after a new game +. I originally said a lot of important plot details are in the dlc. Well I was wrong, it's all there just hidden a bit like dark souls so you piece it together. The dlc is just a few (ultra) hardcore boss fights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭MrVestek

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Maybe it makes more sense in the original Klingon? Achilles, help here?

Erm... erh...

Yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Kind of retro...ish

I was going to try finish Rayman legends this month on wii u but I've wanted to play resident evil 4 for sooooo long now I thought sure why not give platform games a break.

Only about a half hour in and so far so good. Already had a small fright when there was someone in a hit I really didn't expect.

Controls on wii are odd. Not sure will I like them but hoping it becomes normal as I go on. CGR review seems to think its the best version of the game so fingers crossed i get it.

Loving the fact it's in widescreen. Maybe I'm loosing the plot but I think it looks great. It's not HD obviously but I think it holds its own nicely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Resi 4 is the point at which I figured motion-controls were always going to struggle when combined with traditional playstyles. I mean, if you look at most successful instances of them being incorporated into typical games, for example the Mario Galaxy titles, their involvement is minimized to the odd shake and the occasional point to scoop up bits.

Mind, I have had people laugh at me for dismiss RE:4: Wii, and name it the best port going, and they'd be fans of the series too.

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    Resi 4 is the point at which I figured motion-controls were always going to struggle when combined with traditional playstyles. I mean, if you look at most successful instances of them being incorporated into typical games, for example the Mario Galaxy titles, their involvement is minimized to the odd shake and the occasional point to scoop up bits.

Mind, I have had people laugh at me for dismiss RE:4: Wii, and name it the best port going, and they'd be fans of the series too.

I have it on the GC and the PS2 but never picked up the Wii version.
    Going to have to correct that now!
    The sound of a two stroke engine still fills me with dread!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Resi 4 is the point at which I figured motion-controls were always going to struggle when combined with traditional playstyles.

Just out of curiosity, what is it in Resi 4 that you struggled with, control wise?

Just out of curiosity, what is it in Resi 4 that you struggled with, control wise?

So far personally and I know your question was directed at someone else but I'm just getting used to the controls. They quite unconventional so it takes a bit of time but I do like the point and shoot dynamic. The headshots you can pull off are sweet.

Master of the Universe

Can't you use the GC pad with the Wii version?

Fairly sure I remember playing it that way.

o1s1n wrote: »

Maybe.

I'm playing the wii game on the wii u though so don't have that option if it is available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Quick glance at its Wiki entry..........yes, yes you can. As referenced, I couldn't quite get used to the 'point&shoot' of it all; kept reaching for buttons that weren't there, so to speak.

Master of the Universe

Quick glance at its Wiki entry..........yes, yes you can. As referenced, I couldn't quite get used to the 'point&shoot' of it all; kept reaching for buttons that weren't there, so to speak.

Yeah I thought so. I didn't play RE4 until the Wii version, but definitely remember playing it with a GC controller. The idea of using the Wii's motion controls just felt wrong.

Yeah I thought so. I didn't play RE4 until the Wii version, but definitely remember playing it with a GC controller. The idea of using the Wii's motion controls just felt wrong.

i wonder could i connect a classic controller to the wiimote and use that?

in goin to give it a go with the motion controls first and see how i get on.

any review ive watched of the wii version praises the controls so in hoping jt just takes a bit of time to get used to.

• Advertisement

Not me but for my son, just found the last triforce shard in Wind Waker HD and working his way to the end of this great game. I'm so proud!
    Of course, now he's finished more games than I have in the last year I may have to put him up for adoption!

Not me but for my son, just found the last triforce shard in Wind Waker HD and working his way to the end of this great game. I'm so proud!
    Of course, now he's finished more games than I have in the last year I may have to put him up for adoption!

Hooray!
    He finished Wind Waker HD yesterday!
    He went to school and told everyone and no one cared :(
    What is wrong with kids these days?
    Don't they recognise great games when they hear it?
    Or would they rather talk about GTA V???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Or would they rather talk about GTA V???

Probably too busy talking about Fifa and the latest Call of Battlecraft game.

Master of the Universe

Restarted Link Between Worlds under Hero mode last night.

I never replay games after just finishing them, but enjoyed this so much I can't resist a tougher version.

Shame they didn't have this option from the beginning, although I guess it's good value for money that I'm going to get another 20+ hours out of it.

Apparently there are a couple of extra little things in this mode.

Big draw though, damage taken to link is X4 in normal mode :eek:

I started off with three hearts, a fairly standard enemy ran into me (I think it was a rat) - immediately down to 1 heart. I can see there being a lot more smashing pots/scavenging for hearts in this run through.

Master of the Universe

CDi/3DO, same thing really aren't they? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Boo! Hiss!

Master of the Universe

Ah, looks like I posted that in the wrong thread.

Probably for the best, hide me from Steve_SI's wrath :o

No, no they're not.
    Prepare for a short sharp visit from the slap fairy!

Master of the Universe

Back to Illusion of Time this evening.

I've been stuck on the first boss Castoth. Kind of put the game down and refused to go back to it because it was so frustrating.

Had a go again this evening and figured out two safe spots on the screen which I'd completely missed the last times. Suddenly an impossible challenge became really manageable.

I'm liking this game a lot but my god, the translation! It's dire. Really really bad. A lot of the conversation just doesn't flow right and sounds odd. It's like they literally translated word for word without thinking about any context in what characters are saying.

• Advertisement

Yep unfortunately anything outside of ted Wolsey era square soft stuff and Nintendo will be badly translated. I'm always amazed at how far square digressed in that area for ffvii. Enix stuff was very bad, stuff like robo trek which seemed like a loveable and quirky RPG were near ruined by their translators. Maybe it was for the best we had to wait for the DS versions of DQ5 and 6.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,885 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Ah, looks like I posted that in the wrong thread.

Probably for the best, hide me from Steve_SI's wrath :o

What the!!
    Just seen this now.

J-r-williams-batman-slap-robin.jpg

Don't mind him Steve.
    He just doesn't understand, being ignorant of the only console that can protect against meteor impacts.

So, seeing as it was more or less free and despite having 101 other things to play, I seem to be playing through Bioshock Infinite again, then going to download the Return to Rapture DLC.

Well that's me done with SMT4. Beaten new game plus with the neutral ending and the dlc. The dlc is just some super hard bosses, they really are insanely tough. The neutral ending makes you do all the optional quests I'd been ignoring throughout the game. I was initially annoyed until I discovered these challenges quest are actually their own little side stories with loads of extra bosses.

Fantastic game, think I'll try something on the vita/psp now.

So, seeing as it was more or less free and despite having 101 other things to play, I seem to be playing through Bioshock Infinite again, then going to download the Return to Rapture DLC.

Bioshock Infinite is on my to buy list and to finish list pre purchasing a PS4.

It'll have to wait though as I'm currently on world 4 of Super Mario 3D world. Seriously good game. So so different to nsmb. Both great though imo in different ways.

3D world is the prettiest game I've ever seen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Well that's me done with SMT4. Beaten new game plus with the neutral ending and the dlc. The dlc is just some super hard bosses, they really are insanely tough. The neutral ending makes you do all the optional quests I'd been ignoring throughout the game. I was initially annoyed until I discovered these challenges quest are actually their own little side stories with loads of extra bosses.

Fantastic game, think I'll try something on the vita/psp now.

play gravity rush

Ys memories of celceta instead, and I need to finish up riviera.

play gravity rush

Yes and dont drop it after a half hour or so. Stick with it. The controls are a little finerky but you get used to them and are rewarded with one of the most beautiful and different games in a while.

Really looking forward to the sequel. Day one purchase for me.

Its games like this, little big planet vita and tearaway that make the Vita a worthwhile console to own.

Innovative and different from the rest of the crowd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Recently finished "Last Of Us". Awesome experience my only regret was not purchasing it new and funding the developers instead of giving my money to gameslop.

Attempted "Battlefield 3" afterwards rather then diving into another larger game, gave up after about 10 minutes (estimate 40% of single player campaign) just had no interest in yet another shooter... Will get back to it at some stage though..

So, getting stuck into the "Witcher 2" on the 360, loved the first one but they seriously dumbbed this version down. Looks and sounds great but the game play has been simplified a good bit I think.

Attempted "Battlefield 3" afterwards

Dont waste your time,
    all bf's are made for multiplayer.
    Ive a few 100 hours on 4 and never even looked at the campaign

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Played an hour of Witcher 2. The cutscenes and voice acting are surprisingly excellent for a videogame but I found the gameplay rather boring.

Battlefield 3's campaign is even more boring than Bad Company 2's. Dice have never been good at campaigns but considering the resources they have it's surprising they actually get worse with every installment.

I'm back playing Riviera on the PSP. I forgot how much fun this game is and really want to check out the rest of Stings RPG series, I've heard so many good things about them. Each one basically turns the RPG formula on it's head, Knights in the Knightmare for instance is a mix of SRPG and bullet hell shmup.

Riviera is a mix of visual novel and RPG, which might not sound new since Persona kind of does it but this does it very different. No battle is random, each one is set and depending on how well you do in battle you'll gain trigger points. These points you can use to explore optional dialog and areas in the game so it really rewards you for doing well in battle not so you can level up (there's no experience system at all in fact) but so you can see more of the world and interact with the females in your party.

And yes it's kind of a dating sim but don't worry it's very subtle about it and the five girls in your party are firecrackers of personality, definitely not the usual vapid stereotypes you would expect.

So if you are looking for a great RPG with a great setting that does things totally differently then check it out, it's usually pretty cheap on PSN sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Alter Egotist

Playing Super Mario 64 - Star Road. Great game.

Master of the Universe

Played Doom this evening in the rift. It works surprisingly well. Better than Quake. Only issue though, because it's such a fast paced game you get serious rift nausea afterwards! I now feel like I just stepped off a ship :D

Probably shouldn't play Sega Bass Fishing then!

Master of the Universe

If any of you lads have finished Zelda LBW, seriously go back and do the Hero mode. It's how the game should be to start with.

You know when you'd usually run into an area, sword swinging at a load of enemies, maybe one hits you but you have loads of hearts so it doesn't matter?

Well you can't do that here. You seriously need to use a mix of weapons which wasn't at all necessary in the standard mode. Bows, hammer, bombs - all need to be used in a tactical way.

There's nothing like trying to get through a dungeon, boss fight and all with only three hearts when a snake/rat/bat will take two hearts in one hit :D

Feckin electric eel guys take 4! :eek: I was casually strolling through Hyrule and one popped up and hit me - death.

I'm just after getting the Master Sword now. Actually feels like I deserve it this time after the hell I've been through. :D

Master of the Universe

Started Jake Hunter this evening - an hour and a half in now and I'm hooked. It's really compelling stuff. Hardboiled detective visual novel, so think lots of sax, monologues and trench coats.

One thing which makes it very amusing in particular, it feels like half the text in the game is about smoking. I've never seen such excessive chain smoking a game before (perhaps why it was never released here over the years?). You'll walk into a new environment and the first thing he'll describe is something like the caress of the smoke on his face... he was in a hospital earlier and the main thing which seemed to concern him wasn't a murder case, but the fact that he couldn't light up.

If you want the character to think, you press L - he lights up a smoke.

It should be called 'Jake Hunter; Memories of a Nicotine addict'. I seriously want to run out and buy a packet of smokes right now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,724 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

If any of you lads have finished Zelda LBW, seriously go back and do the Hero mode. It's how the game should be to start with.

I have to confess the way you describe it sounds slightly hellish to me. I have an increasingly low tolerance for 'hard' modes that simply up the strength of enemies - that makes any game far more grueling than I enjoy. I play Zelda not to be in constant fear of getting hit by a bat, but for the joy of the puzzles, the exploration and the discovery of new, exciting gameplay mechanics. I would have certainly liked to see some of the items utilised more in the game's normal mode, but I'd definitely be hard pressed to push my way through the game again when a slime could cause insta-death! Nothing against games that 'punish' you fairly for pushing your luck or informing you 'don't even think of coming near here yet!' (and Link Between Worlds does that once or twice, like the Eastern side of the mountain) but Hero Mode makes a lot of the game sound like a chore to me.

On the subject of the 3DS, I'm increasingly addicted to Bravely Default. It's one of the most enjoyable JRPGs I've played in a long time, and I'm finding the game clock ticking up at an alarming rate. Still maintaining that status as a true successor to the RPGs of old, with an admirably progressive streak that minimises so many of the annoyances that plague even the best of the classics.

Master of the Universe

I have to confess the way you describe it sounds slightly hellish to me. I have an increasingly low tolerance for 'hard' modes that simply up the strength of enemies - that makes any game far more grueling than I enjoy. I play Zelda not to be in constant fear of getting hit by a bat, but for the joy of the puzzles, the exploration and the discovery of new, exciting gameplay mechanics. I would have certainly liked to see some of the items utilised more in the game's normal mode, but I'd definitely be hard pressed to push my way through the game again when a slime could cause insta-death! Nothing against games that 'punish' you fairly for pushing your luck or informing you 'don't even think of coming near here yet!' (and Link Between Worlds does that once or twice, like the Eastern side of the mountain) but Hero Mode makes a lot of the game sound like a chore to me.

I do know what you mean. It was like this at the very beginning, but once I cleared a few dungeons and got a few extra hearts, the risk of being killed by low level enemies dropped a lot. I can now navigate Hyrule without getting mangled. Still have to be on your toes, but that's how it should be really. Link shouldn't feel like The Terminator.

I'm now considering which upgrades to give my weapons to give me maximum ability in the harder sections. (previously I wasn't really paying any attention to upgrades, could have finished the game without any of them at all, it was that easy from the mid way point on.)

I'm also using the potions the witch brews. I only had to use them once the first time around, faeries did all the rest of the work.

The heart obtaining versus game difficult curve feels right. I hope it continues on like this and doesn't get progressively easier as it does the first time around.

It's certainly not Hyrule does Dark Souls, but just feels like the way a veteran Zelda player should be playing the game if you get me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

got a few hours of Dark Souls in this morning. Managed to best the 4 kings on my second attempt. Went down to pinwheel aswell and gave him a good going. So now its off to the tomb of the giants.

Really is a fantastic game. I was so nervous fighting the 4 kings haha. I've never had that feeling of tension playing any other single player games in recent memory! Its a true must play!

• Advertisement
Advertisement