Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HOME OFFERED

Options
  • 22-02-2009 2:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭

With the economic down turn,there are a lot of homes needed
    for animals that there owners can not afford to keep them.
    so if you decide you have the time ,love and finance to be able to keep a pet. Why not adopt before you go and spend money on a pet.
    my sons built me a large rabbit hutch. from recycled timber.
    i have a small garden to grow some of the food stuff animals might need.
    so i am looking for a lion head rabbit.
    CATWOMEN.
    WEXFORD WATERFORD KILKENNY AREA.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Did you check with the local shelter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭CATWOMEN

Yes i have been in touch with Waterford ispca and they said they rarely
    get rabbits. emailed another ispca branch and they never got back to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

I think that sometimes the South dublin spca might get rabbits in - it could be worth giving them a shout. http://www.dspca.ie/homes_detail.php?number=1491&sectionnumber=10&type=Home%20Needed

thanks will get on to them first thing tomorrowwink.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Limerick Animal Welfare have a rabbit for rehoming. His name is Bugsy and he's neutered and vaccinated. He's not a lionhead, though.

Check him out on the Limerick Animal Welfare homepage at

http://www.limerickanimalwelfare.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Catwoman that's great you've deceided to offer a rabbit a home, lionheads come in to rescue now and then but there are also lots of regular bunnies looking for homes, don't forget rabbits must be housed in bonded pairs (neutered/spayed). Growing veggies for rabbits is cheaper in the long run and so much better for them esp.if using organic methods but avoid lettuces and darker green veg is ok but too much can be hard on their tums.

I found broccoli the easiest to grow as well as herbs as a treat for rabbits some like apple mint (not penny royal mint as it's toxic to buns and guinea pigs), they love thyme and rosemary and oregano. Nasturtiums are a big favourite and look great in the garden as well they love the peppery leaves.

Re the run make sure the bottom of it's covered with aviary wire as well the smaller the holes in the wire the better to stop any rodents getting in.

HI
    Thanks for all the info, tongue.gifwink.gif
    Been try to find out can guinea pigs live with rabbits,
    there seems to be conflicting views.icon5.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 37 jessicaR

It's generally not a good idea to house guinea pigs and rabbits together as they have different nutritional needs and alsrabbits may injure guinea pigs by accident.
    I found loads of ads in particular on gumtree and oodle for rabbits looking for a new home.
    There's also a male lionhead rabbit looking for a home in Limerick.
    http://www.gumtree.ie/dublin/03/35226803.html
    Good luck.

P.S. I know you said lionhead rabbit so the link I sent earlier might be for you but you may also consider the following
    http://www.gumtree.ie/dublin/43/35181843.html
    I have been in touch with several rescue organizations about this situation and they will keep me updated (I hope) If you want to do a good deed these rabbits are certainly in great need of a home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Maggie.23

I just read the ad in the last post. Poor bunnies. :(

• Advertisement

Yeah that's why I got on to a few rescue centres. The person didn't respond to my email but I hope he managed to sort something out with the shelter. They are supposed to give me an update

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Catwoman guineapigs and rabbits should never be housed together no matter what the circumstances sadly many pet shops, zoos (with pet sections) and vets still see no problem with them being housed together.

If you look at my guinea pig site below it will explain why they shouldn't be housed together.

Hi thanks all for the info .
    Wont be putting the guinea pigs and rabbits together.
    Iam holding off on getting rabbit for a couple of weeks.
    got a phone call today to take a terrier pup that's homeless.
    couldn't help myself. Shes a beautiful little thing.
    So i need to make sure shes well settled in with my other pets.
    Will have look at guinea pig site.
    catwomen.

Good luck with the terrier!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 sarahq

Hi, I have a 9 month old male rabbit, Nibbles small & black and we are looking for a good home for him. We have two rabbits and can only keep one as they have recently started to fight. We have had one neutered and the vet suggests if Nibbles was neutered we could keep both but at €107 we can't afford it. If you know of anyone or can take him yourself please reply, I am in Dunhill, Co. Waterford.
    Thanks.

sarahq wrote: »
    Hi, I have a 9 month old male rabbit, Nibbles small & black and we are looking for a good home for him. We have two rabbits and can only keep one as they have recently started to fight. We have had one neutered and the vet suggests if Nibbles was neutered we could keep both but at €107 we can't afford it. If you know of anyone or can take him yourself please reply, I am in Dunhill, Co. Waterford.
    Thanks.
    Sorry i can't offer a home but if you would really like to keep both of them you may be able to get him neutered at far less. Some vets do it for between 50-75 Euro. It may be worth shopping around a bit.
    Good luck with whatever you decide. sabine

Hi
    I can offer you a home for the rabbit,
    I have sent you a private message,
    with my details,
    your rabbit is just what my son has been
    looking for .

Advertisement