Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin airport Metro location

Options
  • 10-07-2006 10:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭

"The success of Dublin's metro will be compromised if the station at Dublin Airport is not located underneath the terminal facilities, Dublin Chamber has warned the Government.

The Rail Procurement Agency is currently finalising plans for the routing of Metro North and the favoured option has a station 700m away from the airport terminal at the Great Southern hotel.

Chamber CEO Gina Quin said that the metro will alleviate congestion around the city, but if the station is located almost one kilometre from the terminal, as is proposed, customers will not make the switch from their cars.

She said unless the more costly underground option is developed, the massive economic and social benefits the project promises to deliver to the country over the coming decades will be put at risk."

Quoted from = http://www.rte.ie/business/2006/0710/dublin.html

Please don't tell me they're going to go with the cheap stupid option again :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

Praetorian wrote:
    Please don't tell me they're going to go with the cheap stupid option again :(

They are going to go with the sheap stupid option.

Shame on you for having faith in them. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

If they go for this cheap stupid option I will have no more faith in them.

You CANT put the Metro station 700m from the airport. Its beyond dumb. This option wouldnt even be considered in other countries, and yet its at the final stage here?

Jesus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Andrew Duffy

I think this may be sloppy reporting - the favoured route at the moment is a combination of two, and the maps published for the consultation actually showed the option of another combination at the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I think this may be sloppy reporting - the favoured route at the moment is a combination of two, and the maps published for the consultation actually showed the option of another combination at the airport.

Can you elaborate and/or link please? I'd like to know more. I can't believe they would stop the metro 700M from the terminal! Would they?:eek: Unless there was some sort of monorail or buses from the Metro terminal to the Airport building That wouldn't be so bad I suppose.

My favoured option would be something like Stanstead Airport where the trains terminate directly underneath the terminal building.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

I think not, the 700m away from the airport terminal station is said to be the RPA's favoured option, unless this has changed in the last few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Maskhadov

how daft is this proposal !! who wants to walk 700 meters with lots of luggage. Not me thats for sure. Getting a bus is equally awkward.

The airport will probably eventually need its own internal rail service to cover the 3 terminals. Maybe they have a plan that covers all of this hence the large distance away from the terminal ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

When I spoke to the RPA they were going for sheltered travellators, I'm sure that will cause some readers to change their underwear... That will make the walk less painful and no cold, it is also done in many parts of the world. They also said that GSH is equi-distant between T1 and the site of T2. I would still prefer it under / beside one of the terminals rather than 700m from both.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Re: internal railway/cross-terminal connection

well, I know I have often promoted Toronto Pearson's development plan as compared to DUB's plans but don't let the DAA sic something like this on you:

http://www.earthtech.com/projects/transportation/pearson.htm
    http://www.youtube.com/results?search=pearson+terminal&search_type=search_videos&search=Search

It runs between Terminal 1, Terminal 3 and the long term car park and opened just recently - haven't been on it yet but apparently from the reviews I've read it's more rollercoaster than people mover.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭dam099

Praetorian wrote:
    "The success of Dublin's metro will be compromised if the station at Dublin Airport is not located underneath the terminal facilities, Dublin Chamber has warned the Government.
    (

Its usefulness as a link to the Airport may be compromised but I'd say its success is now more tied up in the commuter traffic it can generate in Swords and the other northside areas it will service it no longer stands or falls based on the Airport stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭SeanW

I can't believe that stop at the Great Southern Hotels is still on the agenda! that's retarded.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

dam099 wrote:
    it no longer stands or falls based on the Airport stop.

It never, ever did. Nor did it intend to. Metro has always been part of a public transport solution for Dublin which happened to have one stop at the airport. In the same way that the Piccadilly Line is not just the tube to Heathrow. Incidentally how far would anyone say it is from the Heathrow stop to the arrivals hall of T1? Quite a distance even when the travelators are actually working. 300m? 400?

Having said that, it would be preferable if the metro stop at the airport was as accessible as possible to as many potential passengers as possible. That probably means under the terminal. But if the additional cost of going under the airport meant having to compromise on services to other parts of the city then maybe the GSH stop offers the best return on investment?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Sarsfield wrote:
    It never, ever did. Nor did it intend to. Metro has always been part of a public transport solution for Dublin which happened to have one stop at the airport. In the same way that the Piccadilly Line is not just the tube to Heathrow. Incidentally how far would anyone say it is from the Heathrow stop to the arrivals hall of T1? Quite a distance even when the travelators are actually working. 300m? 400?

Having said that, it would be preferable if the metro stop at the airport was as accessible as possible to as many potential passengers as possible. That probably means under the terminal. But if the additional cost of going under the airport meant having to compromise on services to other parts of the city then maybe the GSH stop offers the best return on investment?

Heathrow is on an entirely different scale to Dublin, the location of the tube and bus station in between T1,2 and 3 gives the best compromise for access to all areas, it also acts as a link hub for transfer between the three terminals.

The GSH location is badly located for the current terminal and is not going to be particularly advantageous for the new one either. It is a cost saving exercise pure and simple.

The Luas projects should give some indication as to the stupidity of cutting corners on initial design. 30m trams for red line, non MU trams and short platforms and the big mistake of light rail on the green line are all design mistakes made to keep costs down that will require expensive retrofitting in the future.

It is a false economy to build cheap, particularly in a city such as Dublin that is creaking at the seams. If the line was being built 20 years ago then maybe the traffic levels wouldn't have warranted it but now it will be heavily used from the moment it is opened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Andrew Duffy

r3nu4l wrote:
    Can you elaborate and/or link please?

The route options are described here:
    http://www.rpa.ie/upload/documents/February%202006%20-%20Dublin%20Metro%20North.pdf

... note the option to follow the Central route to the Airport but to take the West route thtough it. The RPA has also mentioned other combinations in the public meetings; maybe someone who remembers exactly what they were can post them?

Edit - the Wikipedia article described the new proposal:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dublin_Metro

... in short, it follows the East route to Drumcondra, then follows the Central route. The option to follow the West route through the Aiport is still open.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

The RPA has also mentioned other combinations in the public meetings; maybe someone who remembers exactly what they were can post them?

http://www.rpa.ie/metro/news/press

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

i thought that IE had already installed tunnels for an underground station in dublin airport decades ago, and that it just needed to be hooked up

i take it the RPA can't use those because they belong to IE?

a case of the government not thinking ahead, so

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

I know of one place where they could put in the metro. there is a hudge basment in Dublin Airport that is pretty much unused. It could be very much converted into a metro station. The basement which is under the arrivals hall is only used by two companies to store their products.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭MarkoP11

Can we finally end this rubbish about the so called pre existing station under the airport

It doesn't exist its a basement which will be used for check in this year, the basement got the nickname the station some years back

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

Mark I used to work in this basement I cant see how it could be made into a checkin area. as its deep under the airport. If you have been there you would know what I mean. There is two levels to this basement the lower one could be possible to make it into a station as there is road access into it. The upper one is the area that will be made into a checkin area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DerekP11

The basement is a basement and not, nor never was, a station box. We spoke to the RPA about it and they say it cannot be used for metro.

As for Metro Norths stop at the Airport, obviously under the existing terminal and accessible to the planned Terminal 2 is the ideal choice. Its factored into proposals, but at the end of the day the RPA will have to work with the budget they are given. If a mess is made of it, it will be back to DOT/DOF/Government goons who like to think they are transport experts. I know more myself, along with loads of others here.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I think its just an attempt to get DAA to come up with part of the money.

• Advertisement
Advertisement