Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Volvo S60R buying advice

• 05-07-2012 12:41am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭

Im on the lookout for a new car, im looking for something with a bit of comfort and a nice bit of power and petrol. I don't want to spend much more than 8000.
    I'm thinking of getting a Volvo S60R as I had a 2.0 litre one a few years back.

Does anyone on here have one or use to have one?
    I'm wondering if parts/service and daily costs are expensive, and if there is anything to watch out for?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

Anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Very rare car OP.

I don't know if you will have much luck here.
    There are not that many of those for sale too.

Very rare car OP.

I don't know if you will have much luck here.
    There are not that many of those for sale too.

Just the one for sale at the moment, though their hard to find

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

I gave up with my search for a s60 T5, as the very few ones I found were either: over-priced, rough as $hite, or cloned :eek:

So finding an s60r will be very very tough.

I remember a 2006 one for sale, black I think, looked mint, but asking a lot of money though :(

EDIT: this one: http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3409903

Col200sx wrote: »
    I gave up with my search for a s60 T5, as the very few ones I found were either: over-priced, rough as $hite, or cloned :eek:

So finding an s60r will be very very tough.

I remember a 2006 one for sale, black I think, looked mint, but asking a lot of money though :(

EDIT: this one: http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3409903

I saw a t5 for sale the other day and it might as well have been in a scrapyard!

Id say that's the same s60r as I'm looking at, 06 black

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

I saw a t5 for sale the other day and it might as well have been in a scrapyard!

Ya that's the one alright. Looks very clean, but a lot of money. But also a lot of car for the money ;)

Col200sx wrote: »

Ya that's the one alright. Looks very clean, but a lot of money. But also a lot of car for the money ;)

Yea it's in the same place also, they had it down as a private sale as well. Clean car with a funny mark on the back bumper. Price is close to a decent S4 and M3 though

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭SeanDeng

Had 2 R's some years back and a T5.

A couple of points:
    R is a 2.5 Engine (300 BHP - was also used in Focus RS) with AWD - 0-60 in ~5.5 sec. They are nice cars to drive and not particularly hard on petrol for the power - was averaging about 28-30 mpg on my 60km commute to work. The R's generally have a very high spec - mine had xenons, sat nav, TV, 13 speaker sound sys (With dolby surround), climate, heated seats, telephone etc.
    R's also got adjustable sustension with 3 settings - the soft setting was very soft, normal - reasonably hard, and sport - shake the teeth out of you hard.
    Servicing is straight forward and no more expensive than a regular car - I bought all the parts on line from the USA (Company call IPD).
    The car has a weakness - its transfer differential for AWD (in common with XC90's) - This part has a high failure rate, I did have to replace one unit and it cost ~2k. I
    Overall I really liked the R's. BTW the Volvo seats are excellent.
    The T5 is a 2.4 engine from 2004 onward with 260bhp with 0-60 ~6 secs (250bhp & 2.3 liter for pre 2004). This is also a nice car but with FWD it can find it hard to put power down and will require a lot of tire rotation to get good tire wear. Obviously with FWD there is more torque steer and understeer when compared to the R. The T5 does not have adj sustension. Kit is generally lower than R. I put 100k miles on T5 and did not have a days trouble.
    Both cars sound great with 5 cylinder engine.
    Hope this helps
    Sean

Thanks, pm sent if u don't mind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Pique

So, going by SeanDeng, that's a T5, not an R.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Jimbob 83

Yup thats a t5

/has dirty thoughts about a c30 t5

Pique wrote: »

So, going by SeanDeng, that's a T5, not an R.

The black s60R that's for sale, is a 2.4 T5 on the log book. But it has the R spec, it has the 3 different settings

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭markoire

Im on the lookout for a new car, im looking for something with a bit of comfort and a nice bit of power and petrol. I don't want to spend much more than 8000.
    I'm thinking of getting a Volvo S60R as I had a 2.0 litre one a few years back.

Does anyone on here have one or use to have one?
    I'm wondering if parts/service and daily costs are expensive, and if there is anything to watch out for?

Why not consider a mazda 6 mps? One of the guys one here (MetzgerMeister) is selling a very clean one at the moment. Im sure he'd be happy to advise you on them etc! Theyre 4wd and have circa 260 bhp. If I was in the market for a performance saloon I'd be edging towards that.

Yea MM'S MPS is a much nicer car than that T5, hurry up and buy it before i trip over 2 grand and scoop it up

I have being talking to MM and he has been very helpful. I just have to trip over 2 grand as well. His car looks mint

I have being talking to MM and he has been very helpful. I just have to trip over 2 grand as well. His car looks mint

Maybe we can have a fight to the death with rubber baseball bats and winner takes all and uses the change to buy everyone an aldi car cleaning kit, yaaaaaaaaa :pac:

Im a genius !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Lads, if either of you want a test drive, the MPS is there. Just give me a shout and we can arrange something :)

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭SeanDeng

The black s60R that's for sale, is a 2.4 T5 on the log book. But it has the R spec, it has the 3 different settings

The car looks to be an R version - T5 has a single exhaust whereas the R has twin exhausts....also the T5 bumpers are different.

As all the R's in Ireland are imports, I would say that the car was imported with incorrect documentation and was registered as a T5 as this would have much lower VRT (in 2008 I paid 16.5k VRT on a 2006 R).

SeanDeng wrote: »

The car looks to be an R version - T5 has a single exhaust whereas the R has twin exhausts....also the T5 bumpers are different.

As all the R's in Ireland are imports, I would say that the car was imported with incorrect documentation and was registered as a T5 as this would have much lower VRT (in 2008 I paid 16.5k VRT on a 2006 R).

Though I'm nearly certain that this one was bought through chapmans. Is it possible that they put it down as a T5 on the log book?

Advertisement