Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing Eircom Router

Options
  • 27-05-2015 1:03pm
    Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭

I've a ZyXel P-660HW-T1 v3 Router.

It's terrible.

Will I have any issues if I replace it with a decent DSL router I buy myself?

What's the best website to get order one from? Any recommendations on what to get for online gaming?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

When I was on DSL I had a little Netgear router and it was brilliant. I used it with various providers without a problem. I think it was an N300. I'm on efibre now so my choices for an alternative router are limited and expensive although I'm happy enough with the eircom supplied F1000

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭jspuds

Eircom have a new F2000 modem available recently, you could chance your arm, ring eircom support and they might send one out. I have no idea if they are any good but specs look decent especially wireless ac.

support.eircom.net/assets/static/images/support/responsive/download/eircom_F2000.pdf

Looks like somebody else managed to get one this way
    http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057433637

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Pugzilla wrote: »
    I've a ZyXel P-660HW-T1 v3 Router.

It's terrible.

Will I have any issues if I replace it with a decent DSL router I buy myself?

What's the best website to get order one from? Any recommendations on what to get for online gaming?

"Its terrible"? What makes it terrible and not your connection. Or you overloading a mediocre DSL connection. Replacing the modem doesnt automatically improve the connection.

The one you have is old though, their D1000 is a newer revision of the same series, ask them to send you one out.
    jca wrote: »
    When I was on DSL I had a little Netgear router and it was brilliant. I used it with various providers without a problem. I think it was an N300. I'm on efibre now so my choices for an alternative router are limited and expensive although I'm happy enough with the eircom supplied F1000

N300 is a series, as are N600, the real model numbers are like DGN2000 etc. If he does want to go 3rd party then the DGND4000 would be a decent option.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

ED E wrote: »
    "Its terrible"? What makes it terrible and not your connection.

Poor range is the main problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Pugzilla wrote: »
    Poor range is the main problem

A new modem will most likely be the exact same as there are limits on the power they are allowed output. Look into other methods, run a cable or use homeplugs and add an access point to cover the areas with poor signal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭ffocused

jspuds wrote: »
    Eircom have a new F2000 modem available recently, you could chance your arm, ring eircom support and they might send one out. I have no idea if they are any good but specs look decent especially wireless ac.

support.eircom.net/assets/static/images/support/responsive/download/eircom_F2000.pdf

Looks like somebody else managed to get one this way
    http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057433637

The f2000 is much better then the f1000 if your problem devices support 5ghz N or AC wifi. I had issues with a Panasonic smart TV, Apple TV & intermittent problems with PS4 remote play on PS Vita. The TV & ATV now work flawlessly as they use 5ghz N, PS4 & Vita seem a bit better but still suffer dropouts. They do not support 5ghz.
    I got the modem from Eircom tech support free of charge after explaining the above connectivity issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭illingworth22

I am switching from Eircom to UPC and will have a Netgear N600 for sale! It is a Dual Band WiFi DSL modem

Advertisement