Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trouble getting Fibre with Sky

Options
  • 25-05-2015 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭

Hey all, just wondering if anyone can help with this problem my brother in law is having trying to get sky fibre.

His hasn't had a phone for 2 years, but the line still has a dialtone and if you dial 199000 he gets his phone number.. He phoned sky but the say they cant find his house.. They did ask for a ARD key (which eircom won't give out). I have done a line check on the number that he gets from the 199000 and he gets 80mbs.. I don't get why Sky wont give it to him.. Anyone have any ideas?:confused::confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Over a year and eircom class the line as inactive and require a tech visit to activate it. Vodafone and eircom will order that, sky wont. Presumably them cheaping out on the fees. Go with vodafone.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭EyesOnly

Thanks ED E , I was thinking it was something like that.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Line here was inactive for over 4 years, and didn't have anything connected here, we were on Imagine WiMax as at the time, it was faster than anything else around here.

Have just migrated on to Fibre with Imagine, the line was reactivated without any dramas, so much so that the number port happened without us knowing it had, and for several days we were not getting incoming calls, as there was nothing connected, and outgoing was using the "real" number that was allocated to the Wimax service.

A few days later, the technician arrived to install the new termination box, and then went off to connect the cabinet, and within an hour, we have over 80 Mb down and about 14 Mb up, with single digit pings, on a line that's been in place for over 20 years, and not used for the last 5.

It took a week or so to settle down, I had to reboot the Huwaei a few times to get the speeds to stabilise, and I think that Eircom may have checked the line connections out, it wasn't stable in the first few days, but it seems to be behaving now.

The only problem with reactivation on our line was that we got hit for extra charges, but apart from that. it was a non event, and for sure, the Imagine people have been reasonably on the ball in dealing with the queries that came up on the billing side.

So, if you have a choice between Imagine or Vodafone, right now, I'd have to say that if all other things are similar, Imagine would be worth looking at.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

Advertisement