Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Identify red lines in the fibrerollout map

Options
  • 22-05-2015 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,500 ✭✭✭✭

My local exchange Murroe (MR01_E01) in NE Co. Limerick is due to be upgraded for VDSL on Phase30. The exchange isn't connected to the fibre core network.

I was browsing the fibrerollout map yesterday and noticed when I zoomed into the final two steps of the map 2 red lines appeared in the local exchange area but don't appear to be connected to the local exchange or any other exchange in the area. I know they aren't core fibre lines so what do they represent?

2lnzf36.jpg

10ga0l1.jpg

2lkzh4l.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

The proposed route for the new motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Lots of those lines miss their target, whoever in eircom mapped them was kinda sloppy.

If your exchange is currently on radio then that line most likely indicates the planned link. The link will follow roads not go straight like that shows, its just there for show really.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,500 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

ED E wrote: »
    Lots of those lines miss their target, whoever in eircom mapped them was kinda sloppy.

If your exchange is currently on radio then that line most likely indicates the planned link. The link will follow roads not go straight like that shows, its just there for show really.

Thanks for the feedback.

Yes, the exchange is currently radio (had a recent thread about it). It did occur to me that it could be the planned upgrade route but it takes a long and wandering route back towards the Tipperary Town NGN core agg. site. The Cappamore fibre connected exchange is only a few miles down the road, thought it would be easier to run it direct from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

This is the information super-highway, coming near you. Of course there may not be an off-ramp anywhere near you.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭zt-OctaviaN

They are the fibre backhaul lines.
    If you zoom is too much on the map it scales badly and becomes inaccurate.

• Advertisement

:D

The lines in the pics I posted don't exist in my area yet, that was the reason I asked. They are not visible until you zoom in to the final two steps on the map.

1 line crosses the exchange area, starting at a house in the neighbouring Newport exchange area and ending at remote point in the neighbouring Cappamore exchange area. The other line starts where the other one begins, at the house in the Newport exchange area and passes below the local exchange and back towards Tipperary as I mentioned above.

The route of the first line passes a point where this combi(?) copper/fibre junction box was installed on a pole last week - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=95572392&postcount=1988.

Maybe they represent future fibre lines?

The Cush wrote: »
    The lines in the pics I posted don't exist in my area yet, that was the reason I asked. They are not visible until you zoom in to the final two steps on the map.

1 line crosses the exchange area, starting at a house in the neighbouring Newport exchange area and ending at remote point in the neighbouring Cappamore exchange area. The other line starts where the other one begins, at the house in the Newport exchange area and passes below the local exchange and back towards Tipperary as I mentioned above.

The route of the first line passes a point where this combi(?) copper/fibre junction box was installed on a pole last week - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=95572392&postcount=1988.

Maybe they represent future fibre lines?

Cush see my reply below.... They are the existing backhaul line the maps gets skewed probably because one is larger than the other once you zoom in it get corrup until you zoom out.

Also the lines are approximate... e.g. I just took a look at the castlebar map... the fibre goes right through an Old peoples care home, they dont follow exact path its approximate to show links etc.

Cush see my reply below.... They are the existing backhaul line the maps gets skewed probably because one is larger than the other once you zoom in it get corrup until you zoom out.

Also the lines are approximate... e.g. I just took a look at the castlebar map... the fibre goes right through an Old peoples care home, they dont follow exact path its approximate to show links etc.

There are no fibre backhaul lines in my area yet, still microwave linked, my brother's DSL goes to crap in the evenings due to congestion on that link.

The nearest fibre backhaul exchange/lines to us is Cappamore in NE Co Limerick and they come no where near our area. I am aware that the lines on the map are approximations and don't follow the exact route of actual lines. The actual fibre lines on the map do link exchange to exchange no matter how much you zoom in.

These lines criss-cross our exchange area which leads me to believe they may be planned fibre lines for our local area. Have a look at the map (Murroe, to the right of Limerick city) and zoom into the final 2 steps.

see what you mean, coincidence that the 2 lines that move away from eachother is below left of murroe? but they seem to just stop when you scroll around...

Either way the cabinet is planned so good news there!

• Advertisement
Advertisement