Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arranging a Home Birth

Options
  • 01-05-2011 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

Hello

I am looking for some advice please.

I am 9 weeks pregnant with my first baby. I have always planned to have a home birth and had researched it in advance. However, despite calling to arrange it at only 5weeks pregnant, none of the midwives on the (not extensive) list of the homebirth website were available to take me on. There really seems to be lack of services available unless you live in Cork/Kerry/Dublin.

I feel very strongly about having a home birth and I am trying to think of other ways to arrange it. I am living in Kildare/West Wicklow area so I am not in the area of any domino scheme etc. My G.P is very supportive but will not agree to deliver as he does not have the requisite experience.

Has anybody got any ideas of how I can have my baby at home? Has anyone here had an unassisted birth? Would it be possible to have a hospital based midwife come to my home?

ANY help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

C

I th

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

Have you contacted the Hombirth Association of Ireland?

As you have said, availability of Homebirth Services is very limited/non-existent in many parts of the country. It is something that really needs to change.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭SanFran07

It can be very difficult to arrange a homebirth and even more so if its in December. Have you tried Susan Cooney - she's not listed on the Homebirth site. I know its far from ideal but if you have to have a hospital birth a Doula can help you have the best experience possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭littlecbear

No I have not heard of Susan Cooney. If you have a number could you p.m me please?

A ray of hope!!

yes a doula is something I am also considering.

thanks for the response!!

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭littlecbear

Squiggler wrote: »
    Have you contacted the Hombirth Association of Ireland?

As you have said, availability of Homebirth Services is very limited/non-existent in many parts of the country. It is something that really needs to change.

Best of luck.

yes that was my first step but none of the listed midwives could fit me in.

Advertisement