Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

only 3oom from exchange max speed up to 8mb

Options
  • 28-05-2015 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭

I have Eircom BBand for a good few years now, recently E-fibre has become available in the town, but I am direct connected to the exchange. There are plans to put in a solution for direct connected lines but it will take months if not a year or more. I am only 250 metres or so from the Exchange but am only getting up to 8MB, in reality 6.6 mb. I looked for an upgrade in speed only to be told the test was reporting max 8mb.

I know some of the local engineers, I asked one to check the line for me. He told me there was a line imbalance of 20% showing cause by bad cabling in the exchange, which indicated that my line was more than 5 km from the exchange. He fixed this and told me I should get a much improved speed. I asked for a retest and it came back the same, max 8 mb. I challenged this with faults, explaining about the improvement in the line balance etc. They agreed to have another look and he said it was something to do with the port I was connected to in the exchange, the Tec already mention Dslam and Isam but I got lost.

They sent me out an updated router Huaweii F2000 which made no difference. What I am asking is that the difference in the fault from 20% imbalance registering at over 5km distance back to almost 0% less than 1km is too big a difference not to show an improvement in my max speed or am I completely wrong.

Any advice would be most welcome please...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The fault in the lines termination will have thrown your line rating off.

Check that its updated here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=95514417&postcount=118

Then you need to have them move you from an ADSL1 rack to an ADSL2+ rack so you can go above 8mb.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭ROS123

Thanks Ed E they did that today but no change yet. I talked to faults they say I can now get 21mb but there is a problems with the sales side. I have to wait until next week to see if it works out.
    Eircom?

Advertisement