Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Batman Begins Review

• 29-05-2005 9:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭

Very early review from Hollywood columnist David Poland :
    May 26, 2005

There is a huge problem with Batman Begins...

I'm going to have to stop humming that Danny Elfman theme.

There have been some interesting movies made from "graphic novels." The material is generally more literary and less comic book and the filmmakers they attract are often art house types. Bravo. Ghost World kills.

But Batman Begins is the first comic book movie that is a truly a movie first and a comic book second. And with it, Christopher Nolan announces that he is a made man in the family of the very top filmmakers in the world today.

The thing that is most remarkable about Batman Begins is that it has so much goofy comic stuff to show off... but you never feel like it's about the stuff. This movie is loaded with really fine actors, like Morgan Freeman and Michael Caine and Gary Oldman and Liam Neeson and Rutger Hauer.... but you never feel like they are chewing scenery, which is often what they are called on to do in other films. It's not exactly Shakespeare either... but they bring what Nolan & Goyer & Company are clearly trying to bring to the genre... stable, solid grounding.

Batman Begins is the kind of movie that will have fans arguing about their favorite sections. Are they into the first act of training and flashback? Do they get goosebumps thinking about the process of Batman's development in Gotham? Or is it the relentless action of the third act?

The bat cowl is a little funny on Christian Bale's face, but he is the most serious Batman ever. And Katie Holmes is very Dr. Claire Lewicki... if you know what I mean... in almost every way.

It is a bit of an art and commerce clash... this film will thrill the base of fans, but will it be as accessible as Spidey? Unlikely. And some journos will likely crap all over the movie if it only does $600 million worldwide. And that sucks. Warner Bros. did the right thing... they made a terrific movie first... a movie that redefines the genre in its own way... which makes the nostalgia for Tim Burton's take even stronger, while allowing us to enjoy this one every bit as much. Like the comics, it is a real rethink by a fresh-eyed artist. But I don't think my mom is going to make it to this one... and that's good. Batman Begins is a very commercial film that isn't emasculating itself to find every marketing quadrant. Hallelujah.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

V.good review.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Excellent news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭OY

That is great news! Not too long now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Sweetness!

That just the type of reveiw I wanted to read I cant wait to see it now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Excellent news.

Of course, it is only one review, but it does sound as good as we all hoped. I read the script months ago and loved it to bits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

The fact that Katie Holmes is in is a bit :cool: but we'll see. I like Bale as an actor though. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Hmmm. My worst fears for the film are mollified some bit by that review. I'll wait until I see it myself before getting my hopes up though.

I was a huge fan of Burton's interpretation and would really love to see this film being closer to that rather than the later "more commercial" offerings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

Sounds more promising now. Cant wait for it now. Should be out real soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭CrazyTalk

Looks to be a good one!
    That was so Irish....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

I'm really looking forward to this one, nobody's really given Michael Keaton a run for his money yet...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Ya can't beat Burton & Keaton!! Why did they stop making them??!!! :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Larianne wrote:
    Ya can't beat Burton & Keaton!! Why did they stop making them??!!! :confused:
    Because of Clooney and Schumacher.

I'm looking forward to this, though I expect a lot of the people who never experienced the comics to be disappointed by this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

I heard that Ebert (the most famous film critic in the States) loved it and said its by far the best Batman film ever.
    A lot of the fan reviews posted on AICN indicate the same thing. Looks like this is gonna be good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

that isn't emasculating itself to find every marketing quadrant.

Oh thank christ \o/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

What is the Irish release date? I've been really looking forward to this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Fenster wrote:
    What is the Irish release date? I've been really looking forward to this.
    Friday week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

There is a review in the Irish Times today, they give it
    3 stars.
    The whole cast, bar Katie Holmes, are very good, apparently.

Empire review
    4 stars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

If its style is as dark as Tim Burtons Batman films, then that will be enough to send me to the cinema.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Tusky wrote:
    Empire review
    4 stars
    Ah Empire, glossy toilet paper. What did that rag give Episode III?

As to the review in 'The Ticket' - I'm a bit worried it got the same number of stars as 'Mr. and Mrs. Smith' and one star up from 'Seed of Chucky'...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Mr & Mrs Smith probably got an extra star for the lovely Ms. Jolie :)

ixoy wrote:
    Ah Empire, glossy toilet paper. What did that rag give Episode III?

As to the review in 'The Ticket' - I'm a bit worried it got the same number of stars as 'Mr. and Mrs. Smith' and one star up from 'Seed of Chucky'...

well I dont rate 'The Ticket' for reviews. I find it to be in the same league as Empire in that in constantly dont agree with the reviews.

Advertisement