Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lgbt societies in Uni

Options
  • 07-09-2014 12:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi guys , I'm considering joining my Uni's LGBT society. I really want to hear other peoples experiences in joining as I need the courage to check it out. I came out months ago but I have never had the courage to act on my sexuality at all. I'm just wondering if it'll prove to be beneficial to me at all. I must admit I'm still trying to come to terms with my sexualitu and fully accept myself at the moment.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

From my experience they're generally fun and open - and a good way to find others to express your sexuality with. My own view though - I've found them also to be generally representative of a certain type of crowd, I was never personally able to associate with the clean and shiny gay image of the two that I've seen! I suppose it's a reflection of modern times where one type of LGBT folk are deemed acceptable in society (heteronormative, 'married with kids' type warm fuzzy image) This is purely my own perspective though. I will say the one down in UL in particular is phenomenally organised and has several ongoing events whether you are expressive or prefer discretion.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Doug89

I'm in UCD LGBTQ+, I joined when I was first in college in 2007, and admittantly I didn't feel like I fit in or really got them straight away, but a year later I made lifelong friends, and have decided to give them another crack as I'm back in UCD doing my masters at the moment.

LGBT socs all over the country these days are getting better and better organised, and trying to hold as wide a range of events as possible. I'd say give it a shot if I were you - what do you have to lose? Also, if you're worried about showing up at the start on your own, most have a system if you shoot them an email a committee member or two will come and meet you first so you don't have that walking into a room full of strangers feeling.

You've also the added bonus that if your uni is a member of USI that you can go to Pink Training, which is a weekend away with all the other LGBT socs in Ireland, with workshops and nights out - I went as I was just coming to terms with 'the gay' and just coming out and I feel that it helped me hugely.

Best of luck OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Dr. Shrike

The appeal of LGBT societies can be very dependant on who's running them.

Sometimes you can be unlucky and that years LGBT officer will turn out to be irritating.

So whether or not you enjoy your LGBT society isn't necessarily a reflection of your relationship with the broader LGBT community.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,814 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I always found them beneficial.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭playedalive

I would definitely recommend joining your LGBT soc in college. One of my regrets is not joining the first year when I started in Trinity. But then again, retrospect is a great thing and I guess I wasn't ready to acknowledge I was gay (had mental health problems to sort out). I only came out when I was 21 and in my fourth year in college. I did join the society at that time but felt everybody had their friends and it was very Student Union-esque driven. A lot of times would talk about the SU and their private life. If there is one piece of advice, do stick with the LGBT soc even if you feel people are too cliquey. Just engage in a bit of smalltalk. I was doing my Thesis and studying hard so just wanted to hang around with friends. Though, I did go to meetups on boards. Keep an eye out for them or organise one yourself (people will go!). I had so many silly pre-conceived ideas about being gay and it was great to just meet your average joe who was just a person who happened to be gay.

If I go back to college next year, I'll definitely join the LGBT soc. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Dr. Shrike wrote: »
    The appeal of LGBT societies can be very dependant on who's running them.

Sometimes you can be unlucky and that years LGBT officer will turn out to be irritating.

So whether or not you enjoy your LGBT society isn't necessarily a reflection of your relationship with the broader LGBT community.
    Definitely agree with this, go for it OP, I'd say you could love it and really help to find your identity and people that you can relate to, but if you feel alienated and you've given it a good shot (more than just one meeting and deciding there and then), don't feel bad about yourself or make a judgement about the community as a whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 TMurph95

Thanks so much guys , it means a lot. I generally only have straight friends and have little experience with people of the lgbtq+ community. Therefore I have a lot of misconceptions about what the community is like. Hopefully joining it will help me understand that sexuality doesn't define a person and that I'll hopefully find friends in the same situation as me

• Registered Users Posts: 40,814 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I think Cydoniac is probably right. You may not like it at first but stick with it. I know many people who have disliked it at first but after a while they enjoyed it.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Doug89

I think Cydoniac is probably right. You may not like it at first but stick with it. I know many people who have disliked it at first but after a while they enjoyed it.

+1 to this - as I said above, at the start I felt totally out of it, that I didn't 'get' their jokes, and that I was gay, 'but not gay like them'.... fast forward a few months and I made lifelong friends both with some of the people I'd initially interacted with, and others that came out of the woodwork and were in the same position as I was.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

It's funny reading this post. I was in the same boat on Socs day. Couldn't really fathom being part of it.

The more I've thought of it over the last month though I actually think it was a sillylve.

Contacted the head of the soc over the weekend. So will show up at their next event.

OP, how did you get on?

• Advertisement
Advertisement