Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Does Katie Taylor get the credit she deserves??

• 13-12-2008 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭

Here is an interesting extract from the Sunday Independent.
    Is the author right? Does Katie get the credit she deserves?
    What do YOU think? ......

Extract from The Sunday Independent:-
    Search

Sunday December 07 2008

Katie Taylor couldn't be much better really. In 2006 in New Delhi, she didn't just win the world lightweight title, she completely dominated the opposition. On the way to gold she had a 15-point rule stoppage in the first round and then 19-4, 20-5, 23-6 and 31-14 victories.
    Last year at the European Championships in Denmark, there was a first-round knockout and two 15-point rule stoppages. Taylor received the boxer of the tournament award as she did again last week at the World Championships in China. For a change, one of her fights was close with Czech fighter Danusa Dilhafova getting within one point of Taylor after some controversial decisions against the champ. Otherwise, it was business as usual, Anna Carruthers of Australia losing 20-3, Celeste Peralta of Argentina being stopped in round one, Azzynat Gadzhieva of Russia being outclassed 20-2 in the semi-final, fancied home town contender Cheng Dong being despatched 13-2 in the final.
    The Bray star stands in the same relation to women's boxing as Tiger Woods does to golf. And if her sport finally makes it into the Olympics in 2012 chances are that it is Taylor's excellence which will tip the scales in its favour.
    What's not to like about Katie Taylor? She overwhelms boxers from the biggest, most powerful sporting nations in the world. She's tough enough to give a good account of herself in sparring with some of our elite amateur male boxers. She was an articulate and engaging presence on RTE's panel during the Olympics. She seems extraordinarily modest and grounded. She is an all-rounder who's given outstanding performances for the Irish soccer team.
    In short, Katie Taylor has everything going for her. And when I look at her achievements, I wonder if she isn't a worthy challenger to Pádraig Harrington for Sportsperson of the Year (though maybe RTE will give it to Henry Shefflin again, who knows?) She should, by rights, be the biggest sports star in the country.
    Except, of course, she isn't. It's not that her achievements don't get reported. They do. But they don't tend to attract banner headlines in the newspapers or, for that matter, any television time whatsoever. Most of us have heard of Katie Taylor but never actually seen her in action. The coverage of her feats has a dutiful rather than an ecstatic flavour to it. At a rough guess, Kenneth Egan's Olympic silver medal received around a hundred times more airtime than Katie Taylor's world titles.
    Maybe this is because we're not sure about the magnitude of Taylor's achievement. Women's boxing is new and perhaps there's a suspicion that titles are easily enough achieved. Yet Taylor is beating fighters from countries that don't tend to produce poor competitors in any sport. The chances are that the Chinese and Russians she beat in her last two bouts in Ningbo had to come through pretty extensive domestic competition. And a media which lionises Gaelic footballers and hurlers whose competition comes from a very shallow population pool indeed is in no position to be dissing someone's world title.
    Perhaps it's because we focus so much on the Olympics, which are viewed as a kind of once-off opportunity for minority sports to catch the national attention before being forgotten for another four years. It could be that a gold medal in 2012 is what Taylor needs to take a more prominent place in the public affections. (And also that if women's boxing doesn't make it into the London Games, she is doomed to be forever underappreciated.)
    It could also be that there's something more pernicious at work. Perhaps Katie Taylor would get more notice if she was a man. Perhaps her lukewarm reception indicates that the sporting media is a citadel of old-fashioned sexism where women's sport simply doesn't get cothrom na feinne.
    For years there have been arguments that women's sport should get equal coverage in the sports pages and that the reason it doesn't is that sports journalism is an overwhelmingly male preserve. Perhaps this is true. But it does bring to mind a comment Bertie Ahern made when asked if women voters were properly represented in the Dail, "women don't vote for women, they vote for me." Similarly, it appears that, by and large, women don't watch women's sport as much as they watch men's sport. I can remember going to the women's football final between Waterford and Monaghan in 1999 as a sceptic and emerging as a convert. It was a terrific match and players such as Geraldine O'Ryan and Aine Wall of Waterford and Edel Byrne of Monaghan were good enough to make you think they'd soon be household names.
    It was a good time for women's football: there had been a succession of great finals and the crowds were getting bigger every year. I honestly thought that down the line if the women didn't attract capacity crowds, they'd at least be getting over 50,000. The game looked good enough to deserve those kinds of numbers.
    Yet ten years on Croke Park is less than half full for women's football finals and the game remains relatively marginalised. The Cork team, which has dominated in recent years, is a magnificent unit but the names of even its best players are unknown to the casual sports fan. And the rub is that you can't really blame the media. There has been plenty of TV coverage for ladies football and camogie yet they've remained stalled in terms of mass appeal. There are more women at the male football and hurling finals than at their female equivalents.
    There are obviously factors other than media chauvinism at work. Maybe the old attitude epitomised in 1934 when that great charmer Archbishop John Charles McQuaid condemned female participation at mixed sports meetings as, "a social abuse outraging our rightful Irish tradition," is still there below the surface. Or maybe it's not an Irish thing at all. In the current New York Review of Books, the American novelist Alison Lurie mentions how, "a girls school often looked most unlike a boys school. Its playing fields tended to be fewer and more discreetly placed. The implication was that girls were different from boys, less physically active."
    I don't know what the problem is. But I'd like to. Because I still feel that Katie Taylor isn't getting full credit and that this has more to do with our attitudes rather than her achievements.
    thephotograph@hotmail.com

So what do YOU think? Do you agree with the Indo journalist?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I think you have an unhealthy obsession with Katie Taylor.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Who is Katie Taylor?

edit: OP, dont answer that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Oryx wrote: »
    Who is Katie Taylor?
    A irish boxer mjon3105 has an unhealthy obsession with.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

A irish boxer mjon3105 has an unhealthy obsession with.
    I just checked the other posts made by him/her and had realised that.:)

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Oddest thread we've had in here for a while.

Moved from The Ladies Lounge

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

Talking as a mum to 3 kids I think Katie is a super role model and the fact she excells at 2 sports nevermind mind one she should be reconized !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,308 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Odd stuff from the Sunday Indo considering the tried to paint Katy French as a martyr.
    Is Hero of College about? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

Shes good friends with the GF, very nice girl and really good at what she does. She probably does deserve more credit but in general womens sports are looked down upon by most people (guilty myself too) which is a shame I guess seeing how much of her life she commits. Oh and any credit she does get shes more that modest about anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭conceited

shes bloody gorgeous too:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Does she get the credit she deserves?

Yes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭03mcgs0

Mjon1305 is either a relation or close friend of the boxer who is upset with the amount of attention Katie is getting or could well possible be a Journalist….. who may want an astute forum user to lay the foundations for a good article…

Your on a boxing forum for crying out loud were people who appreciate boxers in general so off course we respect Katie, a world champion (which we dont have many in any sport here in Ireland) and feel she deserves more credit….

Couldn’t be the work of Hero of College, he would be humorous , come on back hero! Funny watching him get kicked out for the 100th time!

Katie Taylor is always in the papers she receives nothing but good press...

The facts are she participates in a minority sport and that reflects in the attention he gets from the media.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭JMCD

T-K-O wrote: »
    Does she get the credit she deserves?

Yes.

Have to disagree with ya there pal. What she has achieved has been nothing short of sensational! A fantastic role model not only for Irish women but Irish men aswell! Love for her to win sports person of the year but its just not going to happen! Unfortunetely!!:mad:

JMCD wrote: »
    Have to disagree with ya there pal. What she has achieved has been nothing short of sensational! A fantastic role model not only for Irish women but Irish men aswell! Love for her to win sports person of the year but its just not going to happen! Unfortunetely!!:mad:

What more credit do you want.... I only ever hear good things about KT in the press, everyone loves her but it is a minority sport. I play Ice Hockey and Ireland came second in the world championships two years ago, how many people heard about that ?? Harrington is by far the best Irish sports "person" in the last year.

Ireland did not come second in the world championships in Ice Hockey. They play at the 5th tier of world ice hockey...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

need an international women boxing tournament here, when the last time there been any boxing tournament here?

Dodge wrote: »
    Ireland did not come second in the world championships in Ice Hockey. They play at the 5th tier of world ice hockey...

In 06 the came second in the division 3 championships held in Dundalk, a massive achievement when you consider the history of hockey in the country and 05-06 was the first year the Republic had a rink to train on...

Your missing the point minority sports are lucky to get any credit or press and KT receives a lot [well deserved]

But don't come on here telling me she doesn't get enough credit.

But don't come on here telling me she doesn't get enough credit.

I didn't. And don't forget that all those Ice Hockey games were carried live on Setanta Sports.

Loads of sports deserve more coverage though

Dodge wrote: »
    I didn't. And don't forget that all those Ice Hockey games were carried live on Setanta Sports.

Loads of sports deserve more coverage though

Two of the games were live - but you right and that is point,for the sport she is involved in she receives an incredible amount of press.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭JMCD

What more credit do you want.... I only ever hear good things about KT in the press, everyone loves her but it is a minority sport. I play Ice Hockey and Ireland came second in the world championships two years ago, how many people heard about that ?? Harrington is by far the best Irish sports "person" in the last year.

Well for a country who stopped still when Ireland got to the knock out stages of a world cup in football, and welcomed "Jack's Army" home with open top bus rides through Dublin, I think Taylor who is a two time world champion dosent get enough attention.

Now I know obviously football/soccer is a lot more popular, but for a country who seems to celebrate mediocrity all to often I thought that a World Champion at a sport of high interest like boxing would have been a lot more positive.

Of course she has had nothing but good reports, what else could you say about the girl? Its just that she dosent get enough of these reports!!

And no-one and certainly not me has said that Harrington wasnt the best Irish sports person this year. But its close between him and Taylor.

• Advertisement

JMCD wrote: »
    Well for a country who stopped still when Ireland got to the knock out stages of a world cup in football, and welcomed "Jack's Army" home with open top bus rides through Dublin, I think Taylor who is a two time world champion dosent get enough attention.

Now I know obviously football/soccer is a lot more popular, but for a country who seems to celebrate mediocrity all to often I thought that a World Champion at a sport of high interest like boxing would have been a lot more positive.

Of course she has had nothing but good reports, what else could you say about the girl? Its just that she dosent get enough of these reports!!

And no-one and certainly not me has said that Harrington wasnt the best Irish sports person this year. But its close between him and Taylor.

The celebrations after WC90 is a sign of the popularity of the sport. You cannot honestly say that KT achievements are equal to Ireland qualifying for its first world cup and just missing out on the semi finals.

She has also been on every TV/Radio show if not more than Kenny Egan has appeared on. KT was also on the panel for the Olympics..

KT wins a championship, we all praise her and its always in the papers...what more do you want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,675 ✭✭✭✭walshb

The celebrations after WC90 is a sign of the popularity of the sport. You cannot honestly say that KT achievements are equal to Ireland qualifying for its first world cup and just missing out on the semi finals.

She has also been on every TV/Radio show if not more than Kenny Egan has appeared on. KT was also on the panel for the Olympics..

KT wins a championship, we all praise her and its always in the papers...what more do you want.

Well, to me, KT's achievements rate well higher. She actually WON, and in such style; big deal, we qualified. Problem is, we seem to celebrate failure too easily!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Winning a world title outdoes been in the last 16 of the world cup, but the popularity of the irish team was massive so there not comparible!

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭seadog9

She gets enough credit. She competes in a sport that is not widely supported in Ireland, female boxing, yet she still gets plenty of credit for being the best, which is exactly what she deserves.

Harrington has clearly been Irelands greatest sportsperson over the past 12 months, I'm not even a big fan of golf, but is blatantly obvious he should win that award.

seadog9 wrote: »
    Harrington has clearly been Irelands greatest sportsperson over the past 12 months, I'm not even a big fan of golf, but is blatantly obvious he should win that award.

Katie won everything, Padraig did not-with it been high profile he will get the vote but it cant be seen to be more succesful than other sports people who done the max that is possible in there field.

I do feel katie does get decent credit though.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭seadog9

walshb wrote: »
    Well, to me, KT's achievements rate well higher. She actually WON, and in such style; big deal, we qualified. Problem is, we seem to celebrate failure too easily!

I'm sorry but that comparison is ridiculous, have you any idea how much more times competitive international football? If you think Ireland winning the world cup would be equal to Katie Taylor winning her weight division you are very wrong, To be honest there is no sporting competition in the world more prestigious than the world cup. And that is a fact!

I know Katie Taylor did absolutely brilliant, but football is infinitely times bigger than womens boxing in Ireland;)

She gets enough credit. She competes in a sport that is not widely supported in Ireland, female boxing, yet she still gets plenty of credit for being the best, which is exactly what she deserves.

Well, with dus respect, go piss off to the golf forum to promote him.
    Please read my previous posts. You think he is the best, go vote for him; but don't be promoting him here on a boxing site when IMO, we have two more worthy winners.

I think I'll close the thread!

I'm sorry but that comparison is ridiculous, have you any idea how much more times competitive international football? If you think Ireland winning the world cup would be equal to Katie Taylor winning her weight division you are very wrong, To be honest there is no sporting competition in the world more prestigious than the world cup. And that is a fact!

I know Katie Taylor did absolutely brilliant, but football is infinitely times bigger than womens boxing in Ireland;)

Again, big deal and if you wanna promote soccer, do so elsewhere. I like soccer and it is the worlds most popular sport; but Taylor is double WC. Ireland won ZERO in soccer, end of!

Closing thread if I see Harrington or any other non boxing star being PROMOTED here. I'm sorry guys, I just believe strongly on this issue!

Boxing fans forum so we should support boxing on here. simple really..
    any top level athlete deserves recognition but do it on there respective forums..

• Advertisement

Thanks Paul.

BTW, it is not like we are disrespecting any other sports men/women.
    Just being PROUD of our boxing heroes!

cowzerp wrote: »
    Winning a world title outdoes been in the last 16 of the world cup, but the popularity of the irish team was massive so there not comparible!

Depends on the world title, they are not all equal.

World amateur title, TWICE; says it all!

And I have never taking anything from that..

The open TWICE says more. Dem be the facts.

Congrats T.K.O; thread closed!

BTW, apologies to all box fans who wanted Taylor to have
    a shot at winning this award! But keeping it OPEN is IMO
    further hindering her chances!

Walsh: how can we debate a topic when we care only allowed to discuss your point of view

• Advertisement

This is not a topic or a discussion mate. It is simply promoting a GOLFER on a boxing forum when I and others agree it's wrong. I said umpteen times that anyone who wants to PROMOTE a golfer or any other player, do so, but keep it OFF the boxing site. C'mon, you of all folks should approve of this. You are a knowledgeable and good
    poster here. Ok, you like GOLF, go to the site and promote Padraig. You will get no beef from me!

I am a fairly tolerant MOD and have closed only two threads since I started and banned NOBODY. But this is where I will draw the line as regards right and wrong on the boxing forum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

This is not a topic or a discussion mate. It is simply promoting a GOLFER on a boxing forum when I and others agree it's wrong. I said umpteen times that anyone who wants to PROMOTE a golfer or any other player, do so, but keep it OFF the boxing site. C'mon, you of all folks should approve of this. You are a knowledgeable and good
    poster here. Ok, you like GOLF, go to the site and promote Padraig. You will get no beef from me!

I am a fairly tolerant MOD and have close tow threads since I started and banned NOBODY. But this is where I will draw the line as regards right and wrong on the boxing forum

I know this is a different topic than this thread but I just wanted to give my two cents so I'll do it here since the topic has already been mentioned.

To be honest walshb I find your stance amazing and very parochial. The thread in question was whether Katie Taylor gets enough recognition. As far as I can see it never mentioned soley in boxing terms although as a boxer this the natural home for the thread. Why can golfers or GAA players not be mentioned on a boxing forum??

For instance in the soccer forum I imagine that if somebody asked whether a specific player got enough credit and some posters replied with other comparisons outside of the soccer world, nobody would bat an eyelid. And I imagine the same would be teh case on most forums.

I mean if your stance wass repeated everywhere on this website nobody would be able to mention a PS3 or Wii if another poster asked if the Xbox 360 got enough credit.

As I mentioned I find it a ridiculous stance. And since the thread was closed my answer to the question is that yes I think katie Taylor gets enough credit for taking part in a minority amateur sport. Aisling Daly on the other hand is a professional fighter who is most likely the best female MMA fighter in Europe and she gets absolutely no recognition.

Anyway apologies to the OP for being off topic. I would have PM'd walshb but since he wrote about it in this thread I thought I would do the same. I'm going to see Darren Sutherland tomorrow and looking forward to a good night of fights.

woooo232 wrote: »
    I know this is a different topic than this thread but I just wanted to give my two cents so I'll do it here since the topic has already been mentioned.

To be honest walshb I find your stance amazing and very parochial. The thread in question was whether Katie Taylor gets enough recognition. As far as I can see it never mentioned soley in boxing terms although as a boxer this the natural home for the thread. Why can golfers or GAA players not be mentioned on a boxing forum??

For instance in the soccer forum I imagine that if somebody asked whether a specific player got enough credit and some posters replied with other comparisons outside of the soccer world, nobody would bat an eyelid. And I imagine the same would be teh case on most forums.

I mean if your stance wass repeated everywhere on this website nobody would be able to mention a PS3 or Wii if another poster asked if the Xbox 360 got enough credit.

As I mentioned I find it a ridiculous stance. And since the thread was closed my answer to the question is that yes I think katie Taylor gets enough credit for taking part in a minority amateur sport. Aisling Daly on the other hand is a professional fighter who is most likely the best female MMA fighter in Europe and she gets absolutely no recognition.

Anyway apologies to the OP for being off topic. I would have PM'd walshb but since he wrote about it in this thread I thought I would do the same. I'm going to see Darren Sutherland tomorrow and looking forward to a good night of fights.

Actually, this thread is NOT the thread I had the beef with. 'fatgav' posted a thread
    on whether or not Harrington should win the sports award. I thought why the hell is anyone posting on a boxing forum about a golfer deserving the award????

I said what I thought and many agreed.

I said that if anyone wants to PROMOTE a golfer for an award when that golfer
    is competing against a boxer for the said award, well then I found it quite
    unacceptable to be using the boxing forum to do this.

Look, I have no freaking beef with Padraig, but at the same time, I think it
    a litlle disloyal and cheeky to be posting and promoting him for an AWARD
    over our own stars in boxing, ON A BLOODY boxing site?

That's all!

So, all in all, our wires were crossed. The 'TAYLOR deserving credit' thread is NOT for the sports award, so why the hell
    were folks even bringing up Harrington, yet again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭sligobhoy67

this is the boxing forum - geddit, a boxing forum!

TKO - stop gaying this forum up with yer talk of gawfers!! :P

Well maybe I missed something but all I see is that a perfectly reasonable thread seemed to be closed because some people were debating whether Katie Taylor or Padraig Harrington should be recognised as our greatest sports person of 2008. Which to me illustrates the recognition that Katie gets when she is compared with Padraig Harrington.

BTW I don't even like golf.
    this is the boxing forum - geddit, a boxing forum!

so you can't mention people from other sports in comparison? That would be like not being able to mention playstations in an xbox forum. Ridiculous and very small minded if you ask me. It is all sports.

• Advertisement

sligo, I would have no problem with anyone posting a thread on boxing compared to other sports etc etc; but when a thread is posted on the boxing site and is openly PROMOTING a sports star that is in direct competition with a boxer for an award; then, YES, I will be a bit pissed!

Well maybe I missed something but all I see is that a perfectly reasonable thread seemed to be closed because some people were debating whether Katie Taylor or Padraig Harrington should be recognised as our greatest sports person of 2008. Which to me illustrates the recognition that Katie gets when she is compared with Padraig Harrington.

Would you arrive for a job interview in Intel wearing an AMD t shirt or drive to Ford, for a job, in a BMW?

Would you arrive for a job interview in Intel wearing an AMD t shirt or drive to Ford, for a job, in a BMW?

No but Ii would certainly be knowledgeable about those companies and not afraid to compare Intel with AMD in an interview setting to illustrate my understanding of the bigger picture!

so you can't mention people from other sports in comparison? That would be like not being able to mention playstations in an xbox forum. Ridiculous and very small minded if you ask me. It is all sports.

Please READ my posts. I said that I had no problem with a thread comparing sports and
    participants; but when the thread is in DIRECT competition with a boxer for an award, I will draw the line.

You are missing my point.

There is sports award up for grabs that I believe Taylor
    deserves. I want her to win and I will promote her to
    win on a boxing site. Now, does that mean we should allow GOLFERS
    and swimmers etc to use the boxing site to OPENLY
    promote their people for the award WE should want Taylor to win?

That is MY point and has zero to do with being narrow minded etc.
    It has zero to do with a ban on other sports stars being
    mentioned!

You mentioned Xbox and PS3.

Ok, say you are a big fan of Xbox and I am a big
    fan of PS3 and there is an award for the best console on the market. You are
    the Xbox fanatic and promoter and I am the PS3 promoter.

We both want victory; do you allow me air time to promote my
    product to your people and on your site?

Better still, you work for Xbox and I work for PS3 and it is our
    job to promote our product for victory. Do you
    allow the promotion of the rival product on your premises?

Please READ my posts. I said that I had no problem with a thread comparing sports and
    participants; but when the thread is in DIRECT competition with a boxer for an award, I will draw the line.

I read your posts but your action in closing that thread seems to suggest differently. Can boxers not be put in the context of the wider sporting world?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭sligobhoy67

talk about off topic!!

if this was another forum on boards.ie there would be hell to pay.

Thankfully this is the boxing forum - a safe heaven for common sense, and bit of craic and the intelligent exchange of boxing information!

chill out girls!

I read your posts but your action in closing that thread seems to suggest differently. Can boxers not be put in the context of the wider sporting world?

Yes they can. At awards time; it's all boxers getting the promotion and respect!

talk about off topic!!

if this was another forum on boards.ie there would be hell to pay.

Thankfully this is the boxing forum - a safe heaven for common sense, and bit of craic and the intelligent exchange of boxing information!

chill out girls!

Well said. Told you I was tolerant!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement