Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

e39 water ingress...

• 08-05-2014 11:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭

Following on from this

Have the classic e39 water in footwell prob.( Passenger side )
    Thought I had the problem solved after resealing the vapour seals and drying the car out. I had also put some tape along the bottom of the windows as some heavy rain of late . just to be sure

But much to my surprise im back to square one..

I know another known issue is the AC drains.. But AC not being used and the drains were checked and seemed ok along with engine bay drains, It has no sunroof.

So suggestions on what to check next ?

Door seals
    Windscreen seals ?

Fark it...............

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Hi,
    what tape did you use to seal the vapour barriers? Unless it was something like the Wurth butyl chord then it won't last very long. Here's my write up on the same repair using butyl chord. If you want to buy a length enought to do your door I'd be open to a deal!

http://www.bmwhaus.ie/forum/showthread.php?tid=2774
    If you have an e39 or an e46 or indeed many other cars (ford Mondeo also suffers with this issue) you may have come across the issue of damp carpets in the rear footwells in particular.
    After a really bad rain fall they may become sopping wet. People's first instinct is to blame the door seal, which in most cases is incorrect.

The real culprit is the vapour barrier breaking away from the door. The vapour barrier is a spongy type of material that is in behind the inner door panel. It can also be an opaque plastic on some cars. The vapour barrier is meant to keep water that runs down the window in to the door inside the door & not run in to the car. the vapour barrier is stuck to the internal door using Butyl chord or tape. This is the black sticky stuff that is almost like a tar-like putty.
    Over time the Butyl chord get tired & loses it's stickiness & the vapour barrier breaks away from the door. This then allow the water to drip down the inside of the vapour barrier & then in to the car.

Here is an example of some Butyl tape, I picked it up from Wurth, the have stores in Cork, 3 depots in Dublin & also Limerick:

ED34F6A6-30AD-4F32-8457-698A749AA14D_zpsuuzhq8ue.jpg

Here is the damage that can be caused to the inside of the door panel if the vapour barrier isn't doing its job.

8E636513-0C6E-45CA-A6B7-1F60B0F25CC3_zpsgabuvrje.jpg

Check out the dirt in the lower corners. It also gets damp. This should also give a clue as to how water is getting in to the car.

Here's the tape in place with the plastic divider in place over the black tape. Note the grey material was from a previous attempted repair. I got nearly all the material off but I focused on where the tape was to meet the door.

AA7859D8-2E6A-4CA6-9AFF-3CF43F13C696_zpsnbf5ssdb.jpg

Tape in place with covering off, note I doubled up in the corners where the leak was most prevalent:

BD4DBE0C-1375-402A-A309-6D5EFD559F78_zpsrujzajz9.jpg

Vapour barrier stuck in place:

1686CD7E-A2B1-46A2-A3ED-22FF3A45FB0F_zpswrimxz7r.jpg

I also ran a nice round headed screw driver along the edges to ensure it was firmly pressed down:

B79EE77C-8C9A-44C6-A7FD-B87CB98CB4F9_zp****0adlr.jpg

The obligatory "all finished" shot:

C5780280-2141-4FFF-B406-3201B3DF39AD_zpsxwh2xm82.jpg
    Supplier details: http://www.wuerth.ie/

One problems is the tape is quite costly, €50+ for the roll & you only need about a 10th of it for a door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

Hi,
    what tape did you use to seal the vapour barriers? Unless it was something like the Wurth butyl chord then it won't last very long. Here's my write up on the same repair using butyl chord. If you want to buy a length enought to do your door I'd be open to a deal!

There was a good amount of butyl on the door where it had come free ( rear door) Re stuck it with a heat gun, seemed to make a good seal again.

I guess the point is, With the lower windows taped up, how would the water get through ? Leads me to think it may be coming through somewhere other that the vapour seals......

The door cards are bone dry no sign of water damage along the bottom of them..

Have again removed passenger, rear seat & door cards, hosed down the car. No water is breaching the vapour seal......

#Stumped

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

homer90 wrote: »
    ................ Leads me to think it may be coming through somewhere other that the vapour seals......

Might as well update this, may be helpful to others experiencing the same prob, with the cause being something other than the vapour seal.

SO, After pulling the interior apart I have isolated the leak after some more downpours :o
    Water is not being channelled away correctly from the windshield. Obviously something is blocked somewhere, water builds up and breaches the firewall and into the cabin. So need to figure out the plumbing so to speak.. to see what's going on......

62d128c6-dcb1-40f6-a781-cc834908614a_zps95f1c3e5.jpg

FC4C381D-C039-423C-9ACC-9D1629A9BC2D_zps9661bb6f.jpg

1DA5C0D0-F476-41E2-8A8A-622C79ECB440_zpscd470ce8.jpg

Will update ......

Advertisement