Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

This exhaust is fixable at home?

• 15-12-2013 1:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭

So, me old jalopy failed the NCT, but only just. They couldn't do the emissions test because of a leak from the exhaust.

This seems to be the only place badly blackened. I'm a novice, but this has to be the leak, right?

I plan to clean it up with a wire brush and then use this silicone paste to seal as much of the joint as I can.

2llm69k.jpg

Just wanted to sense check - am I going about this the right way? Any reason not to try this repair at home, or any gotchas?

thx

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

That stuff won't seal an exhaust, and its hard to see but the exhaust looks to be in bits

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭Mech1

Thats not gonna work.

Time for a new exhaust I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

That seems to be a joint in the exhaust and if it is, there's a clamp missing. That's the first thing you need to address.

Secondly, that paste you link to seems to be a "gasket maker" rather than and exhaust sealer.

You can try something like "gun gum" to fix the exhaust leak. Better still if you can open that joint, apply the sealer and clamp it, but looking at the rust on the exhaust, I wouldn't be too confident though it is a little hard to tell from the photo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

Thanks guys, won't waste my time trying then. The exhaust looks fairly beat up alright - best find somewhere to quote me for a repair.

Souhans is one place that came up with a google search, recommend a visit there?

FWIW - that paste to seal an exhast was recommended on this thread - http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?523882-best-type-of-exhaust-paste-to-use

@Avens1s, I wonder if it's worth an hour or two, put on a new clip, seal it up. If I could even get a month or two out of it that might make the price of a new exhaust a little easier to plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

Know a few people who've gone to souhans and have been week looked after and not too expensive.

• Advertisement

Well, I did a bit of a botch job using gun gum and a repair kit, thanks for the advice. I meant to buy a clamp and put that on first before using the gun gum but slipped my mind when there. The jubilee clip as part of the kit will probably do something to help, and I'll add the clamp tomorrow.

20psxuh.jpg

Anyroads - we'll see if this running repair stops the leak enough for the NCT re-test. It was a bit of a punt, only e20. It might be wasted cash if I do need a new exhaust immediately, but if it gets me a bit of time to pass the NCT and save for new exhaust that'd be grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I can't see it lasting tbh. Usually the exhaust gases blow it out.

Yeah, I'm not expecting much from it tbh, but if it holds up enough to do the NCT emissions test on Friday (just re-booked), then I'll know a bit more about the state of the engine. It was sitting up for a few years, and so far it's only cost me e50 for a starter motor, e100 for a battery and now e20 for this exhaust repair. Managed to do those with mates/myself. Running on a shoestring, and as long as it's safe I'm happy to drive it.

It passed everything else in the NCT, so hopefully can invest the spare cash in a new exhaust soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭jimboblep

edanto wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm not expecting much from it tbh, but if it holds up enough to do the NCT emissions test on Friday (just re-booked), then I'll know a bit more about the state of the engine. It was sitting up for a few years, and so far it's only cost me e50 for a starter motor, e100 for a battery and now e20 for this exhaust repair. Managed to do those with mates/myself. Running on a shoestring, and as long as it's safe I'm happy to drive it.

It passed everything else in the NCT, so hopefully can invest the spare cash in a new exhaust soon enough.

Make sure you give that gun gum plenty of time to set i used it on a bike exhaust before only gave it 24 hours and it blew out first time i started it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I can't see it lasting tbh. Usually the exhaust gases blow it out.

I'd be inclined to agree but if its close to the back you might get away with it for a week or two.

Pretty obvious from the exhaust that the car has been sitting up a lot alright. That is their real enemy. A car in everyday use with runs that warm it up fully on a daily basis may never need an exhaust in its lifetime.

• Advertisement

Good tip jimbo thx. I need to use the car in the morning so maybe I might leave it idle for a while to let the heat speed up the curing.

The tin said to leave it overnight or if you had to drive sooner to leave it idle for a while first. Can't do any harm I guess to help it set.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Can anyone tell me if the person who brings car for NCT must be the reg owner?
    I.E. its my car, but could my wife take it if I am not available?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me if the person who brings car for NCT must be the reg owner?
    I.E. its my car, but could my wife take it if I am not available?

Anyone can take it. Whoever takes it must have the registration certificate and their own ID (drivers license).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Don't hijack other's threads please when you can start a fresh one in Motor main forum.
    And the answer is anyone can bring it but they need to show their licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Anyone can take it. Whoever takes it must have the registration certificate and their own ID (drivers license).[/QUO

That's great.

Thanks

Had the NCT re-test today, passed. Guess that repair has stopped the leak at least long enough for the NCT, and the good news is that the emissions results were all fine.

The only result that was near the limit was the lambda at high revs, 1.02 with an acceptable range of 0.97-1.03, so not sure if there's anything I can do to prevent that getting worse?

I'll keep an eye on that exhaust repair and pony up for a new exhaust when the repair starts to fail. Thanks for all the advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭00833827

well done- let us know how long that repair lasts

Just reading up about that lambda result, it's a measure of the oxygen in the exhaust, so I'd guess my repair has left a slight leak. Not the end of the world, I'm happy enough with my €20 repair if it buys me a bit of time.

Advertisement