Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I cannot find work experience for my FAS course

Options
  • 14-01-2013 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi,

I have been doing a computer applications FAS course now for around 6 months and I need a 3 weeks placement for work experience within 2 weeks. I have written, emailed, telephoned and called into around 25 different places including the local council, travel agents (which were a long shot but worth a try), most offices in my area, etc. I just cannot seem to find anything, I have lots of letters telling me why places cannot accept me on a placement at the moment but because we were told that those who do not find work placements are basically seen as not trying to look for work, I am a little panicked.

I am looking for work, I am constantly trying to find a job that is available by circulating my CV to whoever will accept it but to no avail. Could someone give me some advice on what would happen if I was unable to find a placement? Will I face penalties from the social? I am now very worried that any payments will be stopped and I will not be able to afford the rent and bills if I cannot find something in the next 2 weeks. Does anyone have similar stories that will give me some advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,334 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Are you not eligible for a jobbridge internship?

I find general office work is difficult to get into these days. Too many people working in that area. Public/civil service has a recruitment embargo which hasn't be lifted except for temp roles. They have a campaign around spring time for 13 weeks work placement at any time of the year or during summer months. Try publicjobs.ie there might be something you be interested in.

Local solicitors are good to offer a weeks placement in an office they often busy might be worth calling into them if you haven't already.

Have you done text processing? Might worth offering your services as a typist or does the placement have to be based in a company/business/office? It might be worth trying to get a week or two in one place and then see if you can get another place to fill the remaining weeks. I suggest to avoid the county councils and travel agencies there are little or no office work in those areas at the moment, believe me I have tried. Would revenue, motor tax office or any other local authority/government type buildings or IT companies you could hand in your CV to or new start up companies?

Look out for any kind of events/marketing/accounting/book keeping jobs maybe if they are temp jobs, check out the fas website.

Recruitment agencies and irishjobs.ie and monster.ie might be worth looking into. La Creme is a good recruitment agency to go to who could get you temporary office work. You may have to move though depends where you are based.

Are you just sending your CV randomly online/post or you handing them in face to face? If you looking into local offices best to hand your CV in face to face. They might more than likely offer you some kind of informal interview at first.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Am I right in understanding that this is/can be an unpaid work placement : or does it Have to be paid? ( naturally this is the preferred option)

Where are you based?

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Atlantis50

Lillialani wrote: »
    Hi,

I have been doing a computer applications FAS course now for around 6 months and I need a 3 weeks placement for work experience within 2 weeks. I have written, emailed, telephoned and called into around 25 different places including the local council, travel agents (which were a long shot but worth a try), most offices in my area, etc. I just cannot seem to find anything, I have lots of letters telling me why places cannot accept me on a placement at the moment but because we were told that those who do not find work placements are basically seen as not trying to look for work, I am a little panicked.

Have you applied to companies in your area looking for JobBridge interns?

http://www.jobbridge.ie/default.aspx

They'd be more likely to take someone on for work experience although they might ask you if you'd then stay on with them for the 6 or 9 month internship when your 3 weeks are up.
    Lillialani wrote: »
    I am looking for work, I am constantly trying to find a job that is available by circulating my CV to whoever will accept it but to no avail. Could someone give me some advice on what would happen if I was unable to find a placement? Will I face penalties from the social? I am now very worried that any payments will be stopped and I will not be able to afford the rent and bills if I cannot find something in the next 2 weeks. Does anyone have similar stories that will give me some advice?

If you don't find a placement, then your course instructor will finish you up in FAS (a process called 'termination') and you'll get the necessary documents so that you can sign back on. There will be no penalties for not finding work experience - you just move from FAS back to the dole.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Lillialani

Thanks to everyone here who helped. I found some in the end though... :D

Advertisement