Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Being forced to take up unpaid internship on jobsbridge scheme

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

TomRooney wrote: »

I never said all employers take advantage, why do you feel you have to invent story's to make a point?

She has already done an internship which brought her nothing.

The vast majority of people I have come across who have done these tax payer funded internships have not gotten any jobs or valuable experience from them.

You appear to have a serious attitude problem.

Why are you assuming then that in her next internship, the owner will take advantage of her to make money without paying her?

The lack of jobs is not the fault of the company nor the taxpayer, it's due to the state of not just our economy but a worldwide problem.

As mrs o'bumble said, why should the tax payer have to pay for her internship, with a masters, if she has no commitments what is she waiting for?

I also think we the taxpayers should get some benefit for funding her fas course and the internship, if that benefit is that the intern helps the company to increase profit so they can employ someone, possibly your friend and reduce the social welfare burden on the taxpayer, that'll do for me.

No attitude, just apathy, someone is getting something for nothing (practicle experience in an industry relavant to the course done and the possibility of a job) but there is still room for complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭TomRooney

davo10 wrote: »
    Why are you assuming then that in her next internship, the owner will take advantage of her to make money without paying her?

Because that has been the experience herself and almost all her fellow students have had, bar 1. Hence it is a fair assumption.
    The lack of jobs is not the fault of the company nor the taxpayer, it's due to the state of not just our economy but a worldwide problem.

I'm afraid it's not quite that simple, the lack of jobs and economic activity is directly related to the mismanagement and purposeful over heating of our economy, this was done by the gombeens in Leinster house, the same gombeens that dreamt up this hair brained scheme to get tax payers to pay for the provision of free labour to privately held companies.
    As mrs o'bumble said, why should the tax payer have to pay for her internship, with a masters, if she has no commitments what is she waiting for?

They shouldn't, the employer should.
    I also think we the taxpayers should get some benefit for funding her fas course and the internship, if that benefit is that the intern helps the company to increase profit so they can employ someone, possibly your friend and reduce the social welfare burden on the taxpayer, that'll do for me.

Why should the tax payer fund an internship for a privately held company?
    Do you realise how little logic you're displaying not to mention how much you're contradicting yourself?
    No attitude, just apathy, someone is getting something for nothing (practicle experience in an industry relevant to the course done and the possibility of a job) but there is still room for complaint.

The only persons getting something for nothing are the unscrupulous employers who exploit workers without ever having an intention of employing them...this is criminal and the perpetrators of such acts should spend a long time in jail if found to be abusing the system.

I have made my position clear on this subject but you seem to be intentionally ignoring what I have said. I have no issue with genuine internships, I think they can be very beneficial.
    But the jobsbridge scheme is a hair brained sham and to threaten to cut off a persons only means of subsistence in an attemp to bully them into doing somethign they may not want to do is pathetic and just highlights the ineptitude that exists throughout this system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,693 ✭✭✭flutered

back in the day one was told go on a fas scheme or else, nothing new here.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭TomRooney

flutered wrote: »
    back in the day one was told go on a fas scheme or else, nothing new here.

There's nothing wrong with a FAS scheme or being told to go on one.
    The issue is apparently you can be forced to provide free labour to a private employer through way of jobsbridge.
    You might have missed that detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 donfanzu

I'm currently on a job bridge scheme and I can't recommend it enough (if the finances are manageable). I've learned loads that was never even touched on in college and I don't think I'm being exploited at all. I feel much more confident in securing a job in my field even if the host origination decides against keeping me on. There's worse things your friend could be doing with her time than the scheme, although its entirely voluntary in fact there's big competition for places.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Emigration does not have to be sad and disastrous. It can be a hugely positive experience. I speak from my own experience as well as those much younger than me who are in this wave.

I agree with others on here tbh, if you friend has a Masters, an internship and a FAS course under her belt and is still job hunting, emigration will most likely open up lots of opportunities, both professional and life.

Having worked abroad in any professional field is also considered a huge bonus for employers if people then return to Ireland with international experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 993 ✭✭✭bigslick

I am a product of an internship that I underwent (and completed) before this scheme even went live, where I was told (possibly incorrectly) by the Social Welfare office that if I took ANY sort of work paid or unpaid I would be unable to claim benefit or allowance.

So cue me working in that internship for 9 months, without receiving a penny? Did I hate the company for giving me nothing, and earning money off my back? Not one bit. They gave me so much in terms of education, development, and new friends. I am now working for a global multinational in a senior role :D. Gave me the experience I needed when no company had openings.

Is it open to abuse by companies, of course. But my department currently has 2 Job bridge individuals working for us, and we are making sure they get out as much as they put in, and in addition are trying to make room for them down the line.

Life is about risks. I say she should go for an internship that relates to her area of expertise. If she gains nothing else she will gain more connections, which in todays workplace is probably the most important thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,693 ✭✭✭flutered

TomRooney wrote: »
    There's nothing wrong with a FAS scheme or being told to go on one.
    The issue is apparently you can be forced to provide free labour to a private employer through way of jobsbridge.
    You might have missed that detail.

the rc church and the gaa are not private employers, add on the co council, clearing graveyards, also roadsides, missed nothing, been there done that, but no t-shirts back then, had to bring ones own shovel etc, also no bright warm clothes supplyed unlike today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

If you do take a Jobsbridge position and they don't give you work in the area they claimed to what is the recourse to that? Say you worked in a role demanding more professionally and in the same area, but the jobsbridge people can't provide you with anything near that what can you do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 donfanzu

Lyaiera wrote: »
    If you do take a Jobsbridge position and they don't give you work in the area they claimed to what is the recourse to that? Say you worked in a role demanding more professionally and in the same area, but the jobsbridge people can't provide you with anything near that what can you do?

You quit! Simples..

• Registered Users Posts: 6 lovelylovely

I am currently doing a Jobridge internship, advertised position was "Accounts Assistant" - I haven't learned the first thing about working in accounts in the 6 months (of a 9 month internship) I have been there. As far as I can see, they took me on to deal with the vast amounts of post, answer the phone, and make coffee for meetings etc., I had been doing some basic accounts related things like posting invoices onto the system but don't get time to do that much because my "other" work is more important...As for training,it doesn't take too long too show somebody how to use a letter opener or switch a kettle on.

I have already completed 2 Fás courses in accounts. I have a retail related degree and jobs in retail are few and far between these days so I had to change my career direction. With my internship, its not the fact that I am working 40 hours a week for €50, I would work for nothing if it was something I enjoyed and felt I would benefit from, but I am getting no accounts experience from this position. I came from retail management to making coffee and sorting out post, I am just really annoyed at the whole thing. I feel like quitting everyday but I am not the type of person who would walk out of a "job".

I think the Jobridge thing really needs to be more closely monitored, I know there are people who have had great experiences on the scheme, but I am not one of them. With the economy the way it is, inevitably companies are going to take advantage of free labour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭sligoface

The scheme is voluntary, was told this when i left my internship. They never threatened to cut anything. Unless that person in fas is in charge of her claim i wouldn't heed him. They cant bully you into working for free. In saying that, if shes willing to do a fas course why not an internship? Hours are similar, pay is better, and the host company can hire you or at least provide a recent professional reference. Fas can't do those who things. And this is coming from someone totally opposed to jobbridge. I also did a fas course after third level education, was asked in interviews why, i dont think employers value fas courses that highly.

Advertisement