Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Does Anyone Prefer Toe-Clips to SPD?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Switch between MKS sylvan and SPD SLs. The advantage of flats/ toe clips is wearing regular shoes for short rides. They can also improve the aesthetics in some cases. You can calibrate the toe clips so that they are never too loose or too tight .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

HivemindXX wrote: »
    I doubt Giant will have any problem changing the pedals. I'm a little surprised they even come with the bike, peoples preferences vary so much that bikes often come with no pedals at all and each person buys whatever type suits them best.

That's what I did with mine - I just presumed there was no difference between flats and toe clip pedals with the toe clips removed and that it would be ok to take the clips off and just use the flat / normal pedals? :o Or do I need to get special flat pedals??

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,567 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

That's what I did with mine - I just presumed there was no difference between flats and toe clip pedals with the toe clips removed and that it would be ok to take the clips off and just use the flat / normal pedals? :o Or do I need to get special flat pedals??

Pedals with clips used to be completely different to flats. I think it's still the same.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Yarisbob

I still ride with Shimano 600 rat traps on my vintage 979 Vitus

You have to ride in traffic with the left strap loose so you can get your foot out ! Theres a small triangular "tit" that you hit with your toe to spin the pedal up and then you put your foot in and 2 ears on the front of the cleat engage with the front of the pedal - the cleat is basically a groove that engages the rear of the pedal.

hen you are in you are in to stay in... Its hard at times to remember the straps !!

I commute with Look Delta

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Brian? wrote: »
    Pedals with clips used to be completely different to flats. I think it's still the same.

Thanks for that! Do you think it's ok to just use the toe clip pedals without the clips? Me being a newbie I just figured a pedal was a pedal :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,011 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

smacl wrote: »
    .. sh56 cleats (release turning foot in any direction) rather than the default sh51..
    Well, you learn something new every day! I have SPD's on my fixie and never knew what the difference was between SH51's and SH56's. Always used SH51's.

(Excuse my ignorance but why would one wish to unclip in any direction? Would there not be a risk of catching one's heel in the spokes if twisting inwards? :confused:)

Thanks for that! Do you think it's ok to just use the toe clip pedals without the clips? Me being a newbie I just figured a pedal was a pedal :o

I would say no. Go clip less ideally or cheap flats. Another option is cheap flats with half toe clips, that was my road bike setup as a child.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,803 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

In terms of power output with clipless pedals, the upstroke isn't necessarily what I find the most useful addition, it's being able to pull through at the bottom of the downstroke - that "scraping something off the sole of your shoe" motion that helps to bring your other leg over the top and into the next downstroke (or the second half of the revolution).

I find that I can do this, approximately at least, using BMX-style pedals and rubber-soled shoes.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=94693885&postcount=4

I can't be bothered trying clipless, as I don't do any cycling where the advantages would outweigh having to wear non-normal footwear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Thargor wrote: »
    Okay thanks, I wont be using clips though, I didn't realise you had to constantly loosen and tighten them as you went.

For what it's worth, I use toeclips with the straps set at a constant position - just tight enough to allow me to 'pull up' on the pedals reasonably well when cycling, but loose enough pull out quickly if necessary

(I've never tried clipless/cleats :o:eek::o, so can't compare, and it's possible I'd be blown away by the difference. Also, I've never raced or been on a group ride.)
    Clipless - refers to all pedals where you clip into a pedal with a cleat on your shoe ...
    Yes. Methinks there lies the cause of much confusion among the uninitiated.
    I know now that the verb refers to 'clipping with cleats, not clips' as it were, but the lingo seems almost designed to obfuscate pacman.giftongue.png

• Advertisement

... Methinks there lies the cause of much confusion among the uninitiated.
    I know now that the verb refers to 'clipping with cleats, not clips' as it were, but the lingo seems almost designed to obfuscate pacman.giftongue.png
    Not to mention two completely different cleat/pedal systems having very similar names - SPD & SPD SL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Not to mention two completely different cleat/pedal systems having very similar names - SPD & SPD SL.

Yeah that's another really weird one. Where are the branding experts :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,137 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Yeah that's another really weird one. Where are the branding experts :confused:
    This is the country that produced the Subaru Impreza WRX STI Spec. C Type RA-R.

They were uncharacteristically restrained when naming the bicycle pedal systems.

I'm surprised everyone is so fixated on the SPD name. When they first came out, every clip less pedal was referred to as "Look pedals" regardless of brand. Look invented them first and Shimano jumped on board very shortly after. I still call the look pedals every now and then, mainly when talking to my Da.

they/them/theirs

Brian? wrote: »
    I'm surprised everyone is so fixated on the SPD name. When they first came out, every clip less pedal was referred to as "Look pedals" regardless of brand. Look invented them first and Shimano jumped on board very shortly after. I still call the look pedals every now and then, mainly when talking to my Da.
    Shimano have the largest share of the market which probably explains it. I suppose it's a bit like calling all vacuum cleaners 'Hoovers'. Even though I use Look pedals, I even refer to that system as SPD SL.

Shimano have the largest share of the market which probably explains it. I suppose it's a bit like calling all vacuum cleaners 'Hoovers'. Even though I use Look pedals, I even refer to that system as SPD SL.

I suppose you're right.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,255 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I have look pedals...I call them "look pedals"... Should I call them spd's ?

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

What are these flat pedals which people speak of?

07Lapierre wrote: »
    ... Should I call them spd's ?

:)
    No......call them SPD SL's!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Ive managed to go the last 10 years referring to every clipless system as SPD, I thought everything else was just different subclasses of the original SPD, SPD-SL etc, pretty sure everyone I know who cycles does this aswell...

Ive managed to go the last 10 years referring to every clipless system as SPD, I thought everything else was just different subclasses of the original SPD, SPD-SL etc, pretty sure everyone I know who cycles does this aswell...

I just call each system by it's specific name. Removes ambiguity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,137 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Problem is that SPD-SL doesn't really trip off the tongue.

Perhaps we should call them "spudsels" or "road spuds".

Lumen wrote: »
    Problem is that SPD-SL doesn't really trip off the tongue.

Perhaps we should call them "spudsels" or "road spuds".

It's OK, it doesn't come up often in conversation so I don't mind the bit of linguistic gymnastics.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I jusr say cleats. Noone seems to care.

Oryx wrote: »
    I jusr say cleats. Noone seems to care.

Which cleats?

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Raam wrote: »
    Which cleats?

Do you care?

You're making me feel old here. I cycled when look pedals were a new, cutting edge technology.

they/them/theirs

Also not a single cyclist friend of mine uses Shimano pedals. It's all Speedplay or Look.

they/them/theirs

Oryx wrote: »
    Do you care?

I need clarity!

This is how much of a nerd I am;

Look pedals came out in 1984. Bernard Hinault won the 85 tour using them.

SPD pedals came out in 1990.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,255 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Look pedals...the original and the still the best!

• Advertisement
Advertisement