Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wheels Upgrade

• 27-03-2015 11:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 409 ✭✭

Hi folks,

I am looking to upgrade my bikes current wheelset (DT Swiss 2.0) that came with the bike. The rear hub has gone and I have been saving a while for a new wheelset anyway so time to bite the bullet and get them. But I need to do some research first. And to be honest I am a little lost. I am looking to know the pros/cons of the different combinations of wheel materials and combinations.

For example, when reviewing the bearings are ceramic, stainless or aluminium better?

Carbon rimmed braking surface or aluminium?
    Aluminium or carbon wheel?

I have about €1100 to spend, and I would be looking to buy in a shop, not on line. For fear of spending that amount of money and something to go wrong i would like to return it to the place of purchase pronto to get them fixed under warranty or just to talk to someone about them.

A friend of mine has fulcrum racing zeros and says they are fantastic, and i have read some reviews of these on line and they get good reviews.

From reading different threads on here Mavic Ksyrium SL type wheelsets, Shamal ultras are also highly regarded.

Thanks for reading and responses in advance. (sorry for bringing up a topic that no doubt has been covered loads of times before)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 313 ✭✭jackstaff

I'm following this thread mate in the Same boat.

Kysrium sls has aluminium braking rim e850 priced in local shop , 705 in ribble

Kysrium sle has exalith braking rim is what I've found out..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

For a budget of €1,100, I suggest a pair of Shimano Dura Ace 9000 C35s. These are really brilliant wheels (and they look good). You'll get the clincher version on one of the German sites for around your budget, they will cost a lot more on CRC or Wiggle. The tub version is very very expensive, around the 2 grand mark (though lighter and used by a lot of pro teams). The 9000 version is 11 speed and you can stick a spacer on it to go down to 10 speed. If you are running a 10 speed drivetrain and have no plans to upgrade to 11, then you can find dura ace 7900 versions of the wheel for some great prices-again have a look at the German sites for the lowest prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭Irish Raven

I just went through the same process....upgrading from kysrium elites.... Been looking since middle of January, and wanted to purchase in shop rather than online.... It's a pity the huge difference saved purchasing online....but I had to buy in shop!

So I had 1000/1100 price mark....and didn't want deep section.... Even though I race...shamal ultras, kysrium elite slr, fulcrum zeros where my choices....until I went into a shop close to where I live, and a top amateur rider working there put me on to thurs ace c24's! Done research on them, and reviews point to them being pound for pound one the the best wheelsets out there!! So pulpit the bull yet, and collecting them today!!

Damn iPhone.... Predictive text...meant to read.. Dura ace c24's... And bit the bullet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 409 ✭✭burger1979

Thanks for the replies folks. So far I have had a look at the Fulcrums, Campag Shamal Mille + Ultra, and the Mavis Ksyriums SLS. The Camp and Fulcrums are effectively the same wheel. The Campag Mille is nice looking but also I would have to upgrade the brake blocks as the rim is carbon and i only have block for aluminium rims. I have gone to two shops so far and both recommend the Fulcrums + Shamal Ultra. Both are quite light in feel and the hubs are ceramic, and feel smooth spinning in the hand.

Didnt get to see any Dura-ace C24's as of yet but might do over the weekend.

Thanks for the replies so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭billyhead

I just went through the same process....upgrading from kysrium elites.... Been looking since middle of January, and wanted to purchase in shop rather than online.... It's a pity the huge difference saved purchasing online....but I had to buy in shop!

So I had 1000/1100 price mark....and didn't want deep section.... Even though I race...shamal ultras, kysrium elite slr, fulcrum zeros where my choices....until I went into a shop close to where I live, and a top amateur rider working there put me on to thurs ace c24's! Done research on them, and reviews point to them being pound for pound one the the best wheelsets out there!! So pulpit the bull yet, and collecting them today!!

What review would you have of the Mavic Kysrium elites. I currently use Mavic Aksiums and am considering upgrading to these wheels. Can you provide any feedback on them? Cheers

Just picked up the c24s, they feel light and spin nicely, not as flashy as other wheels though...also picked up a set of mavic kysrium slr's which my wife got, they are awesome looking....stealth black... Couple hundred quid more than the c24s!! Shaving off only about 40/50 grams... But them come with a great set of tyres!!

Ksyrium elites are a great wheel, bomb proof, they took a far bashing in all sorts of weather, a huge upgrades from the askiums which I had previous, only used for a couple of months as I found the spikes kept popping on them!

Spokes kept popping!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Arthurdaly

I've had a fair few sets of wheels and I keep coming back to C24's. From an aesthetics perspective there are wheels in the same price range that look a lot better but none that outperform!

Simply beautiful wheel to climb on and the accelerations seem easy. Descending and riding hard through bends at speed gives complete confidence.

I had a pair of zeros and they were not a patch on the C24 imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭ciaeim

recentlygot the dura ace c24s and imo they are utterly brilliant, have previosly had fulcrum zeros and racing quatros and these totally better for climbing and ooze confidence descending, i put conti 4000s on them and i love them, possibly only qualm is that they may not be best looking but even in that regard they are growing on me:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭AmberGold

Same dilemma last year, extensive research, bought the Shamals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 409 ✭✭burger1979

To those that have had the dura-ace and the fulcrums. You both mentioned they climb better than the fulcrums. In what way do they climb better?
    Having difficulty in finding a shop that has dura-ace wheels in stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭ABEasy

+1 c24 you won't go wrong with them, think you can get tubeless version also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I see merlin have C24s 9000 priced at €819 seems like a good price in comparison to other sites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Arthurdaly

burger1979 wrote: »
    To those that have had the dura-ace and the fulcrums. You both mentioned they climb better than the fulcrums. In what way do they climb better?
    Having difficulty in finding a shop that has dura-ace wheels in stock.

You push down on the pedal and it feels like the entire bike is more responsive, for me its those moments in races when someone blows up in front of you on climbs and you then need to go around and bridge the gap, these wheels respond like no other and conserve energy.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Iwernia

+1 on the C24, complete climbing wheels and tubeless as well. I think you will get them for well under €800 on some of the continental sites.

Advertisement