Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student Grant and a Job

Options
  • 29-08-2015 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hello all I am a student at ITT, and I just had a question about my grant and whatnot.

So basically I get the full grant at college currently and I am about to start my next year in college soon. I do not work currently but I really want to get a part time job , possibly a job for the weekends. I was wondering if i work part time / full time on the weekend will my grand be cut ? is it possibly to keep your full grant and a weekend job ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Hello all I am a student at ITT, and I just had a question about my grant and whatnot.

So basically I get the full grant at college currently and I am about to start my next year in college soon. I do not work currently but I really want to get a part time job , possibly a job for the weekends. I was wondering if i work part time / full time on the weekend will my grand be cut ? is it possibly to keep your full grant and a weekend job ?
    Unless you are being paid under the table the simple answer is it depends on how much you earn. If you are on the special maintenance grant your parent(s) social welfare payments and your earnings from your job can't exceed €22,703 euro (unless your parent is on one parent family payment, in which case that income is disregarded). If it's the level below that it depends on the amount of dependants your parent(s) have, but any income you make will be taken into account.

Short answer, most likely not unless you aren't working too many hours or are getting paid under the table (AKA your employers don't pay tax)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Sup08

If you go over the current threshold of the grant scale to which you have been awarded, then yes, your grant will change but this can only be determined by how much money you make working.
    You need to put it in perspective of how much you get in a maintenance grant and how much you may earn working.
    Which will be better for you?
    Try to budget/plan that you don't go over the threshold for the full fees when working and remember you can earn up to €3809 in out of term time.
    2 weeks at Easter, 2 weeks at Christmas and from June to September for summer holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 gezgblack70

Thank you for both of your replies, Its greatly appreciated.

Advertisement