Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Volta a Catalunya 2015 - General Thread ** Spoiler Tags Required **

13»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,589 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Not too good. Can't see De Clercq holding off the real killers like Porte, Contador, Martin or Uran. If one of them really wants to go for it, they'll take the 30/40 seconds off him easily.

I'm not sure where you see the time gaps happening. No big mountains left

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

Chris Froome at 50/1 with PP looks a good bet for the overall. He's only 28 & a half minutes down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Sky, Tinkoff and Movistar are probably the only teams capable of putting the hammer down when the road rises, but it might not be enough to put De Clercq under serious pressure.

From cyclingquotes.com:
    the organizers have decided to follow a more straight line to the finish that send them up the only major climb of the day. The category 2 Alt de Lilla (4.1km, 4.8%, max. 7%) is a nasty little sting in the tail after a very long day in the saddle. From the top, only 10.1km remain and they are almost all downhill, with the riders reaching the bottom just 3.4km from the line. However, the downhill is mostly on a long straight road that doesn't offer any real technical difficulties and it will be much easier for the peloton than for any escapees to keep a high pace in this section

Lampre rider Rafa Valls to win today maybe? :P

Stage-1426531628.jpg

GC:
    1. Bart De Clercq (Bel) Lotto Soudal
    2. Richie Porte (Aus) Team Sky 21"
    3. Domenico Pozzovivo (Ita) AG2R La Mondiale 26"
    4. Daniel Martin (Irl) Cannondale-Garmin 27"
    5. Alberto Contador (Spa) Tinkoff-Saxo 28"
    6. Rigoberto Uran (Col) Etixx - Quick-Step 45"
    7. Fabio Aru (Ita) Astana 48"
    8. Wilco Kelderman (Ned) Team LottoNL-Jumbo 51"
    9. Alejandro Valverde (Spa) Movistar 52"
    10. Darwin Atapuma (Col) BMC 54"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Are there Bonus seconds on offer? That might be Martin et als best hope.

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Are there Bonus seconds on offer? That might be Martin et als best hope.

There are 10-6-4 bonus seconds to the first three riders on each stage. The intermediate sprints each offer 3-2-1 bonus seconds.

There are 10-6-4 bonus seconds to the first three riders on each stage. The intermediate sprints each offer 3-2-1 bonus seconds.

Ah very good, they'll be competitive today. The last stage looks like it could separate the field as well.

Lotto Soudal tries to shut out Martin in the intermediate sprint but he managed to pick up third place behind Valle and Henderson. So he's up to 3rd in the gc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

California! You what Carlton?

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭NewDirection

I hear Dan has gotten caught out in the echelons. Can somebody watching it keep us up to date on how that pans out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

I hear Dan has gotten caught out in the echelons. Can somebody watching it keep us up to date on how that pans out

Martin in second group 20 seconds down. Closing the gap to the lead group though. De Clerq 1 min down atm in 3rd group

• Advertisement

looks like he will get on

gap going out again 37 seconds now. I dont think hes going to get back on :(

D3PO wrote: »
    Those time gaps have been wildly inaccurate all week long so I wouldn't accept it as correct.

D3PO wrote: »
    if they blow it on this stage it's an absolute cock up by Garmindale

Those time gaps have been wildly inaccurate all week long so I wouldn't accept it as correct.
    thats possible and i hope your right. I can only post the information I have though.

latest gap is 50 seconds to Martin. Hes aint getting back on if thats even remotely correct

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

if they blow it on this stage it's an absolute cock up by Garmindale

Psst...don't forget to close your spoiler tags ;)

53 seconds now its growing all the time. 20km to go

his habit of sitting at the back may have come back to bite him. He was second favorite to win this thing after De Clerq got dropped. So disappointing

• Advertisement

seriously pudsy close the damn spoilers

martin 1 min down now. so hes official gone from the GC. not going to keep updating the gap as at this point its academic.

They are appearing as spoilers on the mobile site. Apologies I'll stop posting

They are appearing as spoilers on the mobile site. Apologies I'll stop posting

You don't have to stop posting, just type [/spoiler] at the end :)

Carlton said that Nico is in the lead group.

Carlton said that Nico is in the lead group.
    Yep Sky started the echelons so a lot of their guys are there.Kelderman was also caught out but most of the GC guys made it posso aru uran bertie and porte all made the top group. Tactically awful by dan and garmin to let it happen tbh. even worse by lotto tbh De Clerq had the GC sown up

• Advertisement

Valverde has attacked. Jaysus. I've seen it all now.

Called it, kinda. Didn't fancy De Clercq or Lotto Soudal in this situation, with the talent in this race

I tip my hat to Valverde. Chapeau.

Great finish by Valverde, such a clever rider

valverde showing some strong classics form this week. Very good win by him

• Advertisement

Porte the new leader apparently, having a great 2015

Hugely entertaining stage, genuinely didnt think they'd take som much time out of De Cerq but hats off to Sky, they played a blinder. Disappointing to see Martin lose out though, Garmin wont be happy he was caught on the wrong side of the split. I reckon he'd be in yellow otherwise.

And sorry about the lack of spoiler tags earlier, I've gotten the hang of it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭MPFG

Nicolas Roche diary of yesterday's stage

http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/cycling/nicolas-roche-valverde-attacked-us-and-really-put-me-in-the-hurt-box-31101111.html

I must say Nico Rocge has been a good teammate all week...up there helping in every stage ...Kirienkya & Lopez have been up there but not everyday for each ...Poels has helped on occasion too but Konig is no where to be seen ??? And Froome was cruising at the back last 2 days

Nico is such an honest rider hope he has something left in the tank in Aug/Sept when he /if he gets a chance to ride for himself

(Gosh just read about that sadomasochistic murderer as I looked for the diary...eeeww...who'd have thought !!!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

MPFG wrote: »
    (Gosh just read about that sadomasochistic murderer as I looked for the diary...eeeww...who'd have thought !!!)

This been you for the last few weeks?

head-in-sand-lawyer-businessman-man-in-suit.jpg

I live in London where we are sheltered from that kinda thing :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

whats the route like today? lumpy?

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    whats the route like today? lumpy?

Only lumpy at beginning ...flat ish run in to finish of 20km ish
    Very large break with some interesting names reported: Preidler, Cano, Vorganov, Chernetski, Silin, van Garderen, Soler, Danielson, Verona, Alaphilippe, Lecusinier, Durasek, Kruijswijk, Hivert, Vachon, Paterski, Navarro, Chetout, Jeandesboz, Minnaard and Cousin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

MPFG wrote: »
    I live in London where we are sheltered from that kinda thing :D

You don't get regular news updates of the goings-on in the colonies?

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    You don't get regular news updates of the goings-on in the colonies?

Nah....no point bothering with the minions when you are at the center of everything !!

Lots of crosswinds today also...Break down to 15 riders wt TJVG & Tom Danilson pushing it ...SKY, TCS & Movistar chasing ...crash with some riders down

• Advertisement

Repots say that Contador had a bad cash with about 3K to go

Dan Martin now missing off GC so maybe he was in crash earlier or puncture

Martin now back on GC top 10 !!

There wasn't any change to GC after the stage today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭letape

There wasn't any change to GC after the stage today?
    Yes no change. Contador's crash was within the last 3km so didn't lose any time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,661 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Meet all the guys yesterday at the finish line. Over in Barcelona/ Salouwith the family for the week and they were Fi using at port adventures when we were coming out, the speed of them is crazy, good bunch of guys

Advertisement