Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is it worth it

Options
  • 11-05-2007 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭

Hi all, 01Astra 1.4 last night died a death as timing belt snapped whilst driving...BIG Yo's Yo's to fix I believe, is it worth fixing do you think or should I just get rid of it - sell it for parts or something? Young mechanic across the road said major damage has been done but I haven't as yet got it looked at by dealer. Could I still use it as a trade it? Would anyone want it? Any advice really appreciated..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

I had the same thing happen on my old car a rover 400i, It all depends on the damage.. and how the mechanic thinks your gullability factor is. I asked for a worst case senario quote given that all valves aswell as the timing belt would have to be replaced and that came in at €1000 including labour.

I was quoted by a rover garrage €1600 without giving to much detail, i called back the same garage and spoke to a different mechanic, gave him more detail and made it clear a new a few things about cars and the second quote was €1200.

I didnt bother to get the work done i just changed cars because rovers arent worth much and the parts are expensive since they went bust. But id say it'd be cheaper for an Astra as long as you dont deal with a cowboy of a mechanic.

Ofcourse with this type of problem how far you drove it after the timing belt snaped plays a big factor in the damage, I had to drive mine of the n3 so the damage was a little greater then normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

hobochris wrote:
    Ofcourse with this type of problem how far you drove it after the timing belt snaped plays a big factor in the damage, I had to drive mine of the n3 so the damage was a little greater then normal.
    Not meaning to sound smart, but you wouldn't have been driving the car anywhere after the timing belt snapped!;)

Advertisement