Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying MX5 - advice needed

• 05-09-2005 3:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭

I am looking at buying an MX5 and would really appreciate any advice offered. At the moment importing from Japan seems to be my preferred option because it seems like you can get a newer car in good condition cheaper than you would an older one here in bad condition.

I am wondering has anyone here gone the importing route and what was their experience of getting all the documentation, the car's reliability, passing the NCT, getting it insured, etc.

Or would buying an Irish car be a better option. I've seen a few on the buyandsell but they are either out of my price range or else will need an NCT check soon and possibly some work.

All advice welcome.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

There have been some MX5 threads on here that you might have a look at. I don't remember whether they address your precise question, though, and I'm afraid I don't know the answers myself either.

For what it's worth, I bought my MR2 roadster in the Republic but I still wonder if I couldn't have got a better deal buying a Japanese import...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

realweirdo wrote:
    I am looking at buying an MX5 and would really appreciate any advice offered. At the moment importing from Japan seems to be my preferred option because it seems like you can get a newer car in good condition cheaper than you would an older one here in bad condition.

I am wondering has anyone here gone the importing route and what was their experience of getting all the documentation, the car's reliability, passing the NCT, getting it insured, etc.

Or would buying an Irish car be a better option. I've seen a few on the buyandsell but they are either out of my price range or else will need an NCT check soon and possibly some work.

All advice welcome.

There's a car dealer in Old Bawn Tallaght who import mainly* Honda type R's but does dabble and is quite reasonably priced. I'm sure he could get one for you.

Clickeh.

Nice choice of car btw very shiek :)

To be honest a jap import will be cheaper to buy however your insurance will most likely be higher.

Parts can also be a problem, If the car is an obscure model you may have to import spares from japan or at the least via UK.

My advice is to buy Irish, if you can.

If the car is a Jap model only well then i'd be looking at Northern Ireland where you will get oodles off your buy, followed by a swift kick in the gonads when you go to sort the VRT out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

I think it's py2005 who has bought one, I think it's a jap import, has the 6 speeder anyway. There's a large thread from it somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭merlinsmerryman

Importing direct from Japan can be difficult as many of the importers here buy in auctions over there and have to work through a broker which might cause a problem. Also documentation such like Jap dereg certs can be hard to replace unless you speak Japanesse as you need to contact seller in Japan to obtain replacements. Would check with revenue aswell with regards to VRT as you need a T.A.N(Traders Account Number) to hold un-registered cars

There are several dealers who deal in imports and the quality seems to be good. Two of the big ones in Dublin Southside Automotive near Tallaght and Madison Motors in Swords sourcing their stuff direct from Japan with Southside also buying from Madison. OLd Bawn are good too.

(Also obvious from the name I work for the merlin motor group and the auction end of it in Ashbourne hold Jap sales even 2 weeks on Wednesday with at least 65-70 cars available, also a selection on other Wednesdays and Saturdays, plenty of MX-5's, Evos and the like)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭mmenarry

My advice?

Buy jap. Very little difference in insurance (about 60 euro on a fully comp policy)

Parts are exactly the same for the Mk1 (pop-up headlamps), apart from the rear number-plate holder, and a few other non-critical components. In all fairness, the dealers treat them with contempt (because they made no profit on imports, obviously), but we have a stock of Irish Vin numbers to get parts out of dealers "not willing to play ball". Official line from Mazda europe is to not stand for any "ohhh, it's an import, can't get parts, more expensive" rubbish from dealers.

The jap cars will have all the bells & whistles (electrics, aircon, etc.). About 90% of the Mk1 cars in the club are imports for a reason! Never any problems with NCT. My '92 build has had the cat removed, and would have passed the emissions checks for a 99 model at its NCT in february.

Good news is that this is the best time of year to buy (after the summer). For what to look out for, etc., and buying tips, pop on over to www.mx5ireland.com - Loads of info there.

Michael

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭paul moore

Hello,
    My advice is to get yourself a jap import one,beware of UK imports cause they are known for rusting underneath,
    Most jap's have low milage,very good condition,driven on the best of roads,
    Im just after selling my one - it was a jap import 1993 with 95,000km on the clock and gleaming red,had it in the autotrader and sold it within a week for €6250,passed NCT first time,
    Just look for a leaking battery cause there in the boot on the rhs under the aerial,this can cause alot of rust,most jap imports will have a 1.8 engine and they will go forever,they even sell turbo its for these in the UK.
    Every part you want - very good postage service within 3 days
    Check out : www.mx5parts.co.uk
    They have everything !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

Squirrel wrote:
    I think it's py2005 who has bought one, I think it's a jap import, has the 6 speeder anyway. There's a large thread from it somewhere

You've a good memory!

Yes I bought a Jap imported MX5. 6 Speeder too!
    I didn't import it myself however. I bought it from a garage in Malahide. I think they still have another one there but its white which I don't like!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭realweirdo

Hey,

A lot of good replies there...better informed now than I was...should help me avoid a few pitfalls...cheers everyone...

Advertisement