Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What car to buy

• 19-12-2014 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭

Lads I would be looking to spend about 8k on a car in the new year. Im struggling to decide what to go with. I currently have a 01 toyota corrolla which is boring out but didnt cost me much at all to keep her going and is my first car so a great start. However id like to upgrade. I like the Hyundai i30 but its probably just out of my price range. I also like the look of the volvo s40 and I heard they depreciate heavily which could be in my favour. I only do circa 10k a yr so petrol would be fine! thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Tbh the i30/ceed is a popular choice for someone coming from an older corolla

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Tbh the i30/ceed is a popular choice for someone coming from an older corolla

Is the only difference aesthetics between the two?

Pepp1989 wrote: »
    Is the only difference aesthetics between the two?

Pretty much. Performance, safety, space, economy etc are as near as makes no difference to each other.
    The i30 definately has the nicer interior if you're comparing early (07/08) ones, and the bulk of i30s tend to be better equipped than the Ceeds up for sale.

You can get well equipped Ceeds of course. If cruise control is a must, then its on a good few ceeds and almost impossible to get on an i30.

I'd seek out a 1.4 Deluxe i30 if I was looking for a 1.4 car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,293 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It's worth looking at another Corolla too. You should be able to pick up a last run decent spec 06/07 Luna hatchback well within budget. They really are a very good car and better than the Auris that replaced them. You can see that Kia had the Corolla in mind when they designed the Ceed.

For example:
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/for-sale-toyota-corolla-hatchback/8304060

• Advertisement

Agreed, amazing how toyota got it so right with the Corolla, then so wrong with the Auris,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Breffnigolfer

Agreed, amazing how toyota got it so right with the Corolla, then so wrong with the Auris,

You are joking?

You are joking?

No, not joking. Do you know what I'm talking about?
    (02-07 corolla hatchback vs 07-12 Auris)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

No, not joking. Do you know what I'm talking about?
    (02-07 corolla hatchback vs 07-12 Auris)

Out of interest what is so bad about the auris? I have often seen them slated here. I've never even sat in one so I have no idea what they are like, are they problematic or something?

There's a number of things.
    The most obvious thing is the interior. Quite possibly the worst toyota have done relative to the competition. We (in dealer) used to gave to glue blocks of foam to the gloveboxes, wedge double sided tape between dash panels etc - on brand new cars to stop them rattling. Took 2 years for them to address those issues. Aside from the rattles the plastics used are poor quality.
    Then you have the drive, just a heavy dull car with none of the zip of the previous model.
    Styling wise its like they copied the Peugeot 307 from 7 years previous.
    Then you had all the recalls. Not just the obvious ones everyone heard of, but silly things like driveshafts hitting the exhaust when you put the car in reverse, boot leaks, squeaky brakes from day one, obvious lack of quality control and a car that was rushed to market.
    Then you have the dreadful multimode auto box, failures on manual boxes, a handbrake that just didn't make sense, noisy cabin and stingey specs.

On the other hand it was quite safe.

• Advertisement

There's a number of things.
    The most obvious thing is the interior. Quite possibly the worst toyota have done relative to the competition. We (in dealer) used to gave to glue blocks of foam to the gloveboxes, wedge double sided tape between dash panels etc - on brand new cars to stop them rattling. Took 2 years for them to address those issues. Aside from the rattles the plastics used are poor quality.
    Then you have the drive, just a heavy dull car with none of the zip of the previous model.
    Styling wise its like they copied the Peugeot 307 from 7 years previous.
    Then you had all the recalls. Not just the obvious ones everyone heard of, but silly things like driveshafts hitting the exhaust when you put the car in reverse, boot leaks, squeaky brakes from day one, obvious lack of quality control and a car that was rushed to market.
    Then you have the dreadful multimode auto box, failures on manual boxes, a handbrake that just didn't make sense, noisy cabin and stingey specs.

On the other hand it was quite safe.
    Just out of interest... If it was your money and a 1.4 or 1.6 litre petrol what would you go for?

I have a 1.8 civic, tax on post 08 is usually €390.
    Otherwise if I was restricted to 1.4/6 I'd look at the i30/ceed and the Toyota Prius.

I have a 1.8 civic, tax on post 08 is usually €390.
    Otherwise if I was restricted to 1.4/6 I'd look at the i30/ceed and the Toyota Prius.

Cheers for that. It would be my biggest once off spend to date and I just want to take my time and get it right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,007 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Re: buying a Kia, I have heard that its hard to trade them in to dealers, and a lot of owners end up having to trade back into a Kia dealer for another Kia.

Much truth in this you think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Thanks to Colms and others on here herself got a 1.8 Civic recently. My sister has a Ceed and the Civic is a better car. It's nicer to drive, much more powerful, economical, better specced, roomier and cheaper to insure than the 1.2 Corsa she had before.

The Ceed is grand but it does feel tinny, the gearbox and steering are horrible and the interior is a bit flimsy.

1.8 civic v 1.4 deluxe i30. Thoughts?

Civic . without a doubt.

Price insurance though.

Civic . without a doubt.

Price insurance though.

And would you need I get the 1.8 over the 1.4?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,007 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Thanks to Colms and others on here herself got a 1.8 Civic recently. My sister has a Ceed and the Civic is a better car. It's nicer to drive, much more powerful, economical, better specced, roomier and cheaper to insure than the 1.2 Corsa she had before.

The Ceed is grand but it does feel tinny, the gearbox and steering are horrible and the interior is a bit flimsy.

Jez, wacht your back in here with that chat, there's quite a few who think Kia's outclass VW, BMW, Audi etc;)

Pepp1989 wrote: »
    And would you need I get the 1.8 over the 1.4?

Yeah. The 1.4 is very weedy in them, spec-wise they're relatively basic too. You'd only end up resenting it :)

With emissions tax it makes sense anyway. The 1.8 is quite light on fuel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,293 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If you don't need rear doors then the Civic Type S 3dr is prettier than the 5dr imo.
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/honda-civic-type-s-1-8/8213019

I know it's above your budget but I'm sure there is flexibility in that asking price.

One thing to note, the 3 door type s 1.8 has slightly higher emissions than the 5 door for some reason, means the tax is €514.

Advertisement