Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

rear wiper stopped working

Options
  • 08-02-2008 3:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭

what can I do? Don't want the cost of a visit to my main dealer..
    is there something I can look at myself forst...could it be a fuse?

It is an '05 golf plus

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Does the washer work?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

folkswagen wrote: »
    could it be a fuse?
    It could be anything including a fuse - I take it you haven't checked this first yourself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

You don,t need a rear wiper, people drove cars for decades without these modern gimics such as rear wipers and central locking.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TychoCaine

You don,t need a rear wiper, people drove cars for decades without these modern gimics such as rear wipers and central locking.

You don't drive a hatchback, do you? The aerodynamics of most (but not all) hatchbacks mean that the spray that comes up off the rear tyres ends up plastered all over the rear window, so you need a wiper to see anything. The wiper motor blew on my old Focus and it drove me nuts.

Replacing them is a DIY job. There are a few bolts to undo and a single electrical connector. It was a 10 minute job when it happened me.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭HJL

TychoCaine wrote: »
    The aerodynamics of most (but not all) hatchbacks mean that the spray that comes up off the rear tyres ends up plastered all over the rear window, so you need a wiper to see anything

Agreed, although if cars had mudflaps as a legal requirement then this could be reduced IMO, so many cars without them now, its just wrong!

OP like others said it could be a fuse or a loose connect perhaps, not sure what way your car is but i wonder could it also be possible that the arm could have disconnected. I would assume you would check this by putting it on and putting your ear to it to see if you can hear the motor making noise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

I suspect Plug has the answer.

Does the washer spray water? Can you hear the washer pump running? Do the windows fog up more than they used to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭folkswagen

just to update...

the rear washer does not work either...

however, I checked it when driving to work the next morning (when it wasn't raining) and it worked again!!

then when I needed it yesterday in the rain...nothing.....not working again

..it may be a few minutes job for someone who knows their way around a car but I can drive (no accidents, no points) and I can fill petrol, water and oil:D

...but I wouldn't know how to do any other stuff ...it is things like this that make it more expensive to a woman to run a car and keep it on the road.....a generalisation of course....

anyway, I don't think it can be a fuse it it worked since..even if it was in dry weather and I didn't need it...does this make sense??

does it also make any difference that me car has the automatic sensors for rain????

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Are there metal contacts somewhere along the bottom of the boot door? If there are, check they're not obstructed by anything and are clean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭St0n3d

Sounds like something that happened my bravo..

Rain came, i think it shorted something, whether it was a wire somewhere or just around the motor itself.

Dry days came , came back working fine.

Check for any breaks around the back end, maybe soem sealent has come loose, as far as main dealers go, its not exactly needed, it's handy sometimes but you'll have no problems with out it.

Pick a new one up cheap in a scrap yard, seen a golf with the front end pancaked in midland area, Im sure he wont mind ye taking his wipers :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭folkswagen

thanks..I'll have a look at the metal things:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

TychoCaine wrote: »
    You don't drive a hatchback, do you? The aerodynamics of most (but not all) hatchbacks mean that the spray that comes up off the rear tyres ends up plastered all over the rear window, so you need a wiper to see anything. The wiper motor blew on my old Focus and it drove me nuts.

Replacing them is a DIY job. There are a few bolts to undo and a single electrical connector. It was a 10 minute job when it happened me.
    I didnt but my folks had a VW Variant hatchback back in the 70ies and that didnt have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Probly just a bad connect nothing serious, its a DIY job.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,390 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

St0n3d wrote: »
    Sounds like something that happened my bravo..

Rain came, i think it shorted something, whether it was a wire somewhere or just around the motor itself.

Dry days came , came back working fine.

Check for any breaks around the back end, maybe soem sealent has come loose, as far as main dealers go, its not exactly needed, it's handy sometimes but you'll have no problems with out it.

Pick a new one up cheap in a scrap yard, seen a golf with the front end pancaked in midland area, Im sure he wont mind ye taking his wipers :D

The bravo has contacts on the door, whereas the Golf's electric bits are wired in AFAIK.

Advertisement