Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fishing sligo town.

Options
  • 13-04-2014 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭

Any good fishing around the town this time of year or nearby?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

What type of fishing do you want to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭mistermatthew

EmptyTree wrote: »
    What type of fishing do you want to do?

I have a fly rod and a spinning rod down here with me.

Don't mind, anything but not going out in a boat. Something to pass a few hours. Be it lake, pier, river. But not licenced or charged. Such as Ballisadare river.

Thanks.

I have a fly rod and a spinning rod down here with me.

Don't mind, anything but not going out in a boat. Something to pass a few hours. Be it lake, pier, river. But not licenced or charged. Such as Ballisadare river.

Thanks.

I'm not entirely clear on whether or not you currently have a salmon/sea trout licence. If you do then that would give you a few options (As far as I am aware a day licence isn't required for the Garavogue or Drumcliffe rivers). If on the other hand you don't have that licence then I imagine your choices would be very limited.

Probably best to call into Barton Smiths on Hyde Bridge or House of value in Wine St car park. I'm sure if you were to pick up a few bits that they would be happy to advise ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭mistermatthew

EmptyTree wrote: »
    I'm not entirely clear on whether or not you currently have a salmon/sea trout licence. If you do then that would give you a few options (As far as I am aware a day licence isn't required for the Garavogue or Drumcliffe rivers). If on the other hand you don't have that licence then I imagine your choices would be very limited.

Probably best to call into Barton Smiths on Hyde Bridge or House of value in Wine St car park. I'm sure if you were to pick up a few bits that they would be happy to advise ;)

YEah i will do. Wat would you catch in the garavogue? and where is the best part to fish? And what sort of technique would you use?

You'll get Salmon and trout in the Garavogue, if your choices are spinning or fly I would probably recommend fly as the river is quite shallow. As for specific flies or tactics to use I'd recommend going into either of the tackle shops I mentioned in my previous post, they'll also recommend where to go (as well as any bye-laws that I may not be aware of).

The river itself isn't very long (between the estuary and the lake) and is very accessible as it runs right through the centre of the town so you should be able to walk most of it and try a few spots yourself.

It's not a river I fish, so I'm afraid I can't tell you any more about it.

Also think about the Owenmore River, I don't know a lot about it regards day tickets etc, but it looks a lot more appealing than the Garavogue IMO.

Perhaps try asking on the Sligo forum, someone there might be able to help you.

• Advertisement

OP, I forgot to add, if you get a chance let us know how you got on (even with a PM), I'd be interested hearing how it went for you.

Advertisement