Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Prison Work

• 09-10-2007 4:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭

From what i see lately, our prison service is just a big day care center, prisoners have easy access to drugs, watch tv, lessen to radio's, do their leaving cert and other courses. 50% of them will be back in prison soon after being let out.

So if prison is no deterrent to career criminals, could we not have them doing something to benefit the country while there in there. Ideally i'd like to see them out breaking rocks in the middle of winter, but thats never going to happen.

But could they not be made to make stuff, like in America where they make license plates and loads more, or US companies can hire prison workers (while still incarcerated). They could be paid .02c an hour and work 12 hours a day, then maybe the country could benefit from this drain on society.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Ekancone

Senna wrote:
    From what i see lately, our prison service is just a big day care center, prisoners have easy access to drugs, watch tv, lessen to radio's, do their leaving cert and other courses. 50% of them will be back in prison soon after being let out.

So if prison is no deterrent to career criminals, could we not have them doing something to benefit the country while there in there. Ideally i'd like to see them out breaking rocks in the middle of winter, but thats never going to happen.

But could they not be made to make stuff, like in America where they make license plates and loads more, or US companies can hire prison workers (while still incarcerated). They could be paid .02c an hour and work 12 hours a day, then maybe the country could benefit from this drain on society.

They also get gang-raped, i dont know why that isnt a deterrent. Maybe all crooks are gay or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

They could cut turf in the summer and work on the roads in the winter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭cance

ideally i would like to see them doing something usefull, other than sitting on their holes and being fed and watered.

maybe they could work in construction, pad the wrecking ball?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

Maybe they could be forced to clean up the litter around this country. And if not the prisoners, then give homeless people a job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Ship them off to a real prison in southeast asia for their term. I can almost guarantee a zero rate of recidivism. Plus, its very economical!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Exit wrote:
    Maybe they could be forced to clean up the litter around this country.
    I'd like to see the long term unemployed be forced to clean up litter. In the current economy the only people unemployed are those too lazy to get off their arses. I had a neighbour, fúcking waste of a person, he never worked a day in his life, his wife would leave the house at 7am every morning to work as a childminder. She would get one of her friends to go to the house and light the fire for this waster before he got out of bed. Then he'd spend half the day in the bookies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

They should be made build more prisons.

Or they should be deployed to clear the train tracks of all leaves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,394 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

maybe they could be part of a reality game show, something with a prison break theme, or forced to write, produce and act in some new rte comedy series... anything would be better than the currently shows being made

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

connundrum wrote:

Or maybe be left on the train track for the train.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭cance

Mossy Monk wrote:
    Or maybe be left on the train track for the train.

that would only inconvenience the hard working commuter further, never mind leaf skid, imagine waster skid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Ship them off to a real prison in southeast asia for their term. I can almost guarantee a zero rate of recidivism. Plus, its very economical!

now thats a good idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

Outsourcing to Asia FTW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

DonJose wrote:
    I'd like to see the long term unemployed be forced to clean up litter. In the current economy the only people unemployed are those too lazy to get off their arses. I had a neighbour, fúcking waste of a person, he never worked a day in his life, his wife would leave the house at 7am every morning to work as a childminder. She would get one of her friends to go to the house and light the fire for this waster before he got out of bed. Then he'd spend half the day in the bookies.

Not sure if I'd say all long term unemployed are too lazy to get off their arses but I bet everyone on here has at least a handful of stories similar to the above.

A guy who lives up the road from my parents house is seen every day about 11am walking up the road with a bag of dutch gold. Hasn't worked in years and has no intention of ever working. By all means let him carry on like that if he likes but why the flock should my taxes pay for it?

In terms of the prisom system, people should have to pay for their 'accomodation' and if they can't do hard labour to pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭LadyE

If you get them to work, constuction was mentioned, wont there be less jobs for decent hardworking labourers!? Not a good idea imho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Ideally I'd have them used as target practice for the army during peactime and cannon fodder in wartime.

Since the Pc brigade will shoot that down. They should be used to dig out land for motorways and/or litter collection as above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,305 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

connundrum wrote:
    Wouldn't want any deafness claims cos of the loud trains, so make ear-plugs mandatory:cool:

=-=

As for the long-term unemployed: any of them that f**k around all day (as opposed to those who are handicapped, broken back, on crutches, etc), should be rounded up, and forced to clean the estates they live in, communist style.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Three strikes and you're out.And by "out" i mean you're machine-gunned into a landfill site somewhere along with any children you may have.Rememebr..Nits breed lice!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Entertain us?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMnk7lh9M3o

But seriously, Mountjoy is apparently a real prison. The other places should have forced labour even if it was something remedial and pointless, 'atom smashing' comes to mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Senna wrote:

Cos apparently that would violate their human rights! :rolleyes:
    Far as I'm concerned, if you've done enough to be sent to prison, you should forfeit your human rights until you've served your term.
    Oh, and I second the outsourcing to Asia idea :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

The whole cleaning leaves and digging out landfills doesn't work because there's too much of an escape threat and it'd cost a lot to supervise them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

Send them all off to Van Diemen's Land to work as slaves for the wealthy manor lords.

Cos apparently that would violate their human rights! :rolleyes:

yeah you'd have those namby pandy do-gooder complaining that just because this poor person sold heroin to a 10yr doesn't mean they should have no rights. YES IT FECKING SHOULD.

The way they work it in America is quite good, you don't have to do the work, its the prisoner choice. But if you don't, you get even worse food, you have to eat it in your cell, you don't get any benefits like the library or TV room and you get less outside time and less visits per year.
    so human rights doesn't come into it, as its their choice to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Jigsaw

Don't see the problem with forced labour. In fact it seems like an opportunity gone to waste. Obviously they cannot do skilled jobs but get them out digging up bloody roads etc under supervision for no money whatsoever. Public work. Tax will go further in that case and maybe the sentence will tighten the B**tARDS. Having said that I do believe that part of any sentence should be an element of rehabilitation so I'm not totally lock em up and throw away the key so.

dont think the whole chain-gang think would work over here, unless for the very good behavior, short time to be released, type prisoner.
    but there are bound to be things they could make or build within the prison.
    things that would be uneconomical to make if the staff had to be paid minimum wage.
    Something that wouldn't be taking jobs away from the workforce, but would still be making money from the scumbags.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Many prisons unsafe and degrading, report finds

Many of the State's prisons are unsafe and degrading for prisoners and staff due to a growing culture of violence, worsening drug problems and poor physical conditions, according to a Council of Europe report due to be published today, writes Carl O'Brien.

Inspectors from the council's human rights watchdog, the European Committee for the Prevention of Torture, also found significant evidence of verbal and physical mistreatment of people in Garda custody.

The committee, which visited 10 Garda stations, seven prisons and the Central Mental Hospital last year, has recommended sweeping changes aimed at providing greater protection for the rights of people in detention.

It concluded that the culture of violence in Mountjoy and Limerick prisons and St Patrick's Institution for Young Offenders meant they were unsafe for both prisoners and staff. In particular, it said the killing of Gary Douche in Mountjoy Prison in the summer of 2006 was "a tragic illustration of the unsafe nature of certain prisons in Ireland".

It also found that conditions of detention were degrading in many cells in Cork, Mountjoy and Limerick prisons, with prisoners still forced to defecate in chamber pots in the presence of other inmates.

The committee said that while the majority of people it met in Garda custody did not have complaints about their treatment, a "considerable number" of those arrested alleged that they received verbal or physical ill-treatment.

The report says: "The alleged ill-treatment consisted mostly of kicks, punches and blows with batons to various parts of the body.

"In a number of cases, the delegation's medical doctors found that the persons concerned displayed injuries and scars which were consistent with their allegations of ill-treatment."

In a response to the findings, to be published as an attachment to the report, the Government said it did not accept that some prisons were unsafe, but pledged to do more to improve standards across the prison service.

It said it was investing in renovating old prison wings and building a number of new prisons to replace older facilities.

"The growth of organised criminal gangs outside prison has had obvious consequences within the prison system itself.

"The manner in which these groups operate on the outside is now, in fact, being mirrored on the inside and presents a significant challenge to the Irish Prison Service," it said.

In a joint statement, the Irish Council for Civil Liberties (ICCL) and the Irish Penal Reform Trust said it was clear that the State was failing to protect prisoners from harm.

Mark Kelly, director of the ICCL, said the evidence of mistreatment of suspects in Garda custody underlined the need for all Garda practices to be human rights proofed.

Doesn't sound to me like Irish prisoners have an easy time and live in luxury.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

Make them work and pay thm a wage, then dock 100% of that wage for their up-keep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,268 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Outsourcing ftw.

Genius idea, the third world can make money out of dealing with our scum. Everyone wins!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

23 hours solitary per day,shiite food,no cigarettes and make them wear dresses.We'll see them bragging at the bustsops about how hard they are then.

cornbb wrote:
    Doesn't sound to me like Irish prisoners have an easy time and live in luxury.

if they were working and creating revenue for the prison service, the condition of jails could be improved. Plus if they are working, there may be less violence and would probably benefit the prisoners as much as the prisons.

Working X amount of hours a day rather than spending that same X amount of hours in a cell is bound to improve prisoners mentalities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Slightly OT but will go back on topic....

Last week in Galway (Can't remember where) I overheard 2 people chatting. One of them says to the other, something along the lines of "sure i'm better off without work, i'm getting more on the dole" ... I guess they mean given their situation. ie. If you work and have kids, a good portion of your salary is going to childcare etc...

I guess *some* prisioners think the same. Probably think they have no other life, and prefer being 'inside', sponging off the state... Ahh good oul Ireland. As said above, ship prisioners off somewhere a little more harsh IMHO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭The Al Lad

If they had any brains they would be doing accounting like Andy Defrain and scamming the prison service for MILLIONS !!! and digging holes in the wall at night and escape...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

cornbb, ssssh.. don't interrupt the mob. someone in a peak cap and a tracksuit probably looked at them funny this morning, they need to vent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

cornbb wrote: »
    In particular, it said the killing of Gary Douche in Mountjoy Prison in the summer of 2006 was "a tragic illustration of the unsafe nature of certain prisons in Ireland".

It also found that conditions of detention were degrading in many cells in Cork, Mountjoy and Limerick prisons, with prisoners still forced to defecate in chamber pots in the presence of other inmates.

The committee said that while the majority of people it met in Garda custody did not have complaints about their treatment, a "considerable number" of those arrested alleged that they received verbal or physical ill-treatment.

The report says: "The alleged ill-treatment consisted mostly of kicks, punches and blows with batons to various parts of the body.
    In fairness, the killing of Douche was done by other prisoners. Who's to say the majority of the beatings were also not done by other prisoners? The last thing you are going to do if you are going in for a stretch is finger Jonno O'Crack Dealer for giving you a few licks.

Irish prisons are not nice places, but we aren't talking about run of the mill criminals, we're talking about habitual career criminals, the ones with three generations of the family behind bars, the ones that step right back into a life of crime when they get out. Prison is zero deterrent to these people.

Ship them off to sunny South East Asia, I say, nothing like spending your bird in a ten foot by ten foot concrete cell with half a dozen third world criminals, and no ventilation, in tropical conditions. Having to shit in a pot will be the least of their worries.

Advertisement