Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Sweet Tablet' 9.7" android tablet £169. Is this any good?

Options
  • 09-06-2013 4:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭

I don't have any experience of tablets so I was hoping someone might help me here?

I am looking for a budget tablet around the 10" size. It would be mainly for light browsing, watching the odd movie and maybe connecting to the TV.

Other low cost ones I have checked have poor support i.e. if something breaks. This one seems better according to the reviews on Amazon and on there website: www.sweettablets.com

What do you think of this one?
    www.amazon.co.uk/Sweet-Kola-Kube-Dual-Core/dp/B00BTKIF2K/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1370789393&sr=8-2&keywords=sweet+tablet#productDetails

Features
    Operating System
    4.1 Jelly Bean Screen size and resolution 9.7" 4:3 screen

1024×768px
    Touch Module 10 points touch capacitive
    Processor
    A9 Cortex Dual Core 1.4Ghz GPU Mail 400MHz Quad Core RAM 1Gb DDR III Flash Memory 16 Gb Flash (Expandable by up 32Gb with microSD card)

Camera
    2.0 Mega Pixel rear facing (also videos) 2.0 Mega Pixel front facing

WiFi
    802.11 b/g/n 3G Capability External 3G USB Dongle required Bluetooth Connect easily to your bluetooth devices

HDMI Output 1080P video output (playback 2160P) Adobe Flash Support 11.1 Battery Li-ion polymer 8000mAH 5V, 2A UK charger Ave use 6hrs Stand by 100hrs Charge 4hrs Video Support Adobe Flash 11, AVI,RM/RMVB, FLV, Mpeg 4, Mpeg2, DivX Music Compatibility MP3, WMA, AAC,AC3, WAV

Audio
    Standard 3.5mm headphone jack with built in mic

Picture Compatibility
    Jpeg, BMP, GIF, PNG, TIFF Gravity Sensor 3 axis Dimensions 243 x 191 x 8mm (at thinnest part) Weight 606g

Features Include; Super fast Processor with Quad Core graphics co-processor so easily surf rich web content and You Tube etc

You will appreciate the tablet's High Definition screen

Responsive 10 points capacitive, glass - scratch resistant screen

Proven tablet with high customer satisfaction rating - guarranteed

Simple to Use
    Surf the Internet Effortlessly and Watch TV and Video from BBC iPlayer, 4 OD, and You Tube Etc

Access Your Favourite Internet Sites Quickly and Easily

Rear and Front Facing Cameras (rear shots video)

Full Access to Google Play Store with over 600,000 apps
    Plus More Than 20 Most Popular Apps Pre-Installed

It’s a Book Reader (Kindle App Installed) Set-up Email easily, Play Games,

Many Educational Apps for Children

Fully compatible with Microsoft Office via apps such as Kingsoft Office - free

Easily connect to your HD Ready TV via an HDMI Cable (Type A to C - not supplied)

Print via a WiFi enabled printer or email yourself to a PC.

Google Android tablet, iPad alternative & best iPad alternative

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I picked up on of these in DID for €129.99 http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=84983033#post84983033

Does the job perfectly plus it's available in a b&m store for added peace of mind in case anything goes wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

That GotTab has a good spec for that price but after reading reviews online I wasn't sure. I suppose buying from DID does give better support.

I don't know much in this area and I was surprised to see so many different manufacturers. I didn't want to buy something with poor reliability or support.

I was about to give up when I found Acer tablets on Amazon. Amazon sell them directly and handle the warranty for the first year.

I will be only doing basic browsing and reading so I went for the 7". Works out at €120 - they are available in Xtra-Vision, DID, etc but slightly more expensive.
    Acer Iconia B1 7-inch Tablet (Black) (Dual Core A9 1.2GHz, 512MB RAM, 8GB eMMC, Camera, Wi-Fi, BT, Android 4.1)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Acer-Iconia-7-inch-Tablet-Android/dp/B00BCTK10C/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1370855499&sr=1-1&keywords=acer+iconia+b1

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The 512mb ram is a let down especially at the price you paid.Heatons have a similar spec model in store for half that price.

For €144.99 you can get this in Argos http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/8140845/Trail/searchtext%3ECNM+TABLET.htm

My sister has one and I used it myself,found it grand to use and it ran smoothly,the 1gb ram is a big plus.

Argos also do a 7" version but personally I'd go for the bigger screen.

zerks wrote: »
    The 512mb ram is a let down especially at the price you paid.Heatons have a similar spec model in store for half that price.

I can't seem to find the link on Heatons website.

Don't suppose you have it or what is the make/model?

zerks wrote: »

For €144.99 you can get this in Argos http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/8140845/Trail/searchtext%3ECNM+TABLET.htm

My sister has one and I used it myself,found it grand to use and it ran smoothly,the 1gb ram is a big plus.

Argos also do a 7" version but personally I'd go for the bigger screen.

zerks, thanks for the info. I had a rethink.

I decided to change to the Acer Iconia A210 10.1". It has a quad-core CPU, 1GB RAM and 16GB for £199.

With all the choices I found it fairly head wrecking. The tablet is mid-range but should be alright for my usage.

Android™ - "Iconia Tablet A210 16GB White - nVidia Tegra T3 1.2GHz (Quad-core) - Android v4.0 ICS - 1GB DDR3L RAM (1x1GB) - eMMC 16GB - 10.1"" WXGA LED - 1280 x 800 - GPU Ultra Low Power GeForce® GPU - WiFi - 802.11 b/g/n + Draft-N Wi-Fi CERTIFIED® - 1 x USB 2.0 1 x Micro USB 2.0 - no - HDMI - Micro SD up to 32GB - 2 MP HD Front Camera - 2-cell Li-ion, 3260mAh, up to 8 Hours - 1 year Collect & Return + ITW - 711g - 260 (L) x 175 (W) x 12.4 (T) mm"

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009ODN2JK/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&psc=1&s=computers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 paulmc36

I got this tablet for €200.

http://www.smart-tabletstore.com/-Pipo_M8Pro_-_Quad_Core_-_2GB_RAM/p1825137_9821744.aspx

Great value for the money! It has 2GB RAM, it's Rockchip 1.8ghz cortex A9 Quad Core, has a 2mp front camera and 5mp back camera and bluetooth. It has 16gb memory and room for a memory card. I ordered it on a monday and it was delivered by thursday! So far I've had no problems with it, it's super fast and would highly recommend. I also got a free car charger with it!

paulmc36 wrote: »

There is no information on that site about who you are dealing with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 paulmc36

paultf wrote: »
    There is no information on that site about who you are dealing with?

I'm sure if you e-mail them they will give you all the information you need. Any queries I had such as delivery time, delivery method or just general questions they answered swiftly. It seems fairly genuine from my experiences with them.

paulmc36 wrote: »
    I'm sure if you e-mail them they will give you all the information you need. Any queries I had such as delivery time, delivery method or just general questions they answered swiftly. It seems fairly genuine from my experiences with them.

The spec looks better especially the 2GB RAM but I don't know anything about them so I wouldn't risk €200. What about warranty, support, repair or returns?

Just to say my Acer Iconia A210 10.1" tablet was delivered by Amazon last Friday.

If anyone is looking for a great mid-range tablet with a decent brand and good support then this is an option. As an example YouTube vidoes and Netflix movies are steaming perfectly and have a great HD picture.

The main downsides that stand out:

* purchased on Amazon and sterling exchange rate is poor ATM
    * no hdmi connection (but does have a full USB and mico USB connection)
    * very short power cable (no facility to charge thru USB)
    * the battery life is about 7 hours depending on workload

The other tablet I was looking at was the Galaxy Tab 2 but it cost an extra £50. Also it has a dual core (I think?) compared to a quad core with this Acer but the battery life is twice the amount. Sure if I was going to go for the Galaxy then I might aswell gone all the way to a IPad 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Sweet Tablets

Hi guys,

We saw your initial post and thought we could add our 'two cents'!

The Kola Kube is one of our most popular products and it's great if you're looking for that size tablet at a price that doesn't break the bank, so to speak. As you mention, we are very proud of our customer service and support, we have a great tech support team who is on hand to answer any questions you may have.

I won't ramble on but we're glad you picked us up on the internet and although you didn't choose us for your tablet needs that we can show that we are a tablet pc company that takes notice!

Anything else you guys need, just email help@sweettablets.com :-)

Advertisement