Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Treatment for Solid Teak Kitchen Counter Top

Options
  • 02-01-2011 1:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭

Can someone recommend a finish for a solid Teak Kitchen Counter Top?

I want something that won't cause "rings" if i leave a hot cup of tea on it. It was varnished at some stage, but thats nearly fully worn of now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭D.Craftsman

Nulabert there is no easy way out of this one. The first thing you should try to find out is what was originally used.Most finishes will not take over each other.The old school method for treating a worktop would be yacht varnish.It is very hard wearing but no varnish will last forever.Lots of things decide how long you will get.Heat and alcohol are the big causes of rings.Water is also a danger.Wipe it off quickly.A matt or low sheen will not show wear as quickly as minor scratches will not be as noticeable. Finally the bad news.The top should be stripped back before you apply the new finish.A good quality paint stripper will work but do it in sections.Sand it well after, even hire a GOOD sander.Fine paper to finish.Also rub down between coats with a fine steel wool.Apply at least three coats.A lot of work but it will pay off.You could of course hire a professional....

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭nulabert

Thanks D.Craftsman. I was going to strip it down alright, its nearly striped anyway with wear. I had heard Yacht Varnish was good alright. I'll give that a go. Thanks for that.

Advertisement