Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Barton Banned

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

The suspension seem way over the top for an incident that has and will continue to happen in training grounds the world over.Looks like City just want him out and are making a song and dance about it.As was posted above , Hartson converting someones head was a far more serious offence for the pc brigade to whine about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

d22ontour wrote: »
    Looks like City just want him out and are making a song and dance about it..

I can see him in a Newcastle shirt as early as this weekend .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Stekelly wrote: »
    I can see him in a Newcastle shirt as early as this weekend .

/me does the timewarp.

:o

Not if he is suspended for the rest of the season ya won't.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

as much as i feel bad for it, i got to say, i like him! i know he has thuggish tendancys but i feel he could be a great player if he was given the proper help and was given a kick in the arse by his manager

bring back brian clough!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭wardie

Hes been refused bail this morning so has to stay in custody until Jan 3rd.

wardie wrote: »
    Hes been refused bail this morning so has to stay in custody until Jan 3rd.

Where do they think he's going to go? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Won't be Europe anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

hes been remanded for the safety of the public at large, not in case he bunks off

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

What a **%! (edited to avoid ban)

from guardian
    Jayne Hughes, prosecuting, had earlier told the court that Barton could clearly be seen on CCTV involved in a series of incidents in Church Street in Liverpool city centre at 5.30am yesterday. She said Barton and his friends became involved in a confrontation with another group inside a McDonald's restaurant and the manager asked both parties to leave.

Outside, she said, the alleged affray took place when an unknown man made a gesture towards the player. Hughes added that a final incident followed in which a man was allegedly punched to the ground by Barton. "The CCTV clearly shows Mr Barton involved in altercations with members of the public going about their business," said Hughes. "He was seen pacing around Church Street and lashing out indiscriminately at people walking around and standing around."

Alongside Barton, his brother, Andrew, 19, from Widnes, is charged with actual bodily harm and affray and Nadine Wilson, 27, from Huyton, Merseyside, who was also part of Barton's group, is charged with common assault and affray.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

lol... hero...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

The Barton's, a sound bunch of lads. To be honest, I wouldn't miss him if he never played again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

DaveMcG wrote: »
    lol... hero...

Indeed. To paraphrase Homer Simpson, every sport has its loveable clowns. Barton, Tyson, OJ Simpson, John McEnroe.....
    Savman wrote: »
    A coupla my mates are big City fans so I watch a fair amount of games and I was in Eastlands coupla weeks back and its no complement to the team to say City dont create much without Barton at the centre of it. .

Heh heh. Old posts are funny :);)

Interesting to see he was on the piss with the twin brother of the one doing time for murder, as at the time Barton claimed he wasnt in regular contact with the guy wanted for murder (and presumably therefore his twin as well)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

shane86 wrote: »

Heh heh. Old posts are funny :);)
    :rolleyes:
    What I said still stands, it was true at the time, he was one of the few decent players in that Stuart Pearce team. That was then and has nothing to do with here and now and whatever stupid situation he has got himself into.

Anyway, he's a total halfwit and he's ruined any prospect of a good long career by acting like a complete scumbag. If anyone gave him any slight benefit of doubt in the City scrap, he's well and truly fecked himself up now. Idiot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I'm really surprised at this latest revelation, he's always seemed like a very likeable level headed grounded type of guy. Maybe it was just a guy that looked like him in the CCTV?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Affray can mean 7 years.

Taken from another forum
    Affray

R v Keys and others (1986) 8 Cr.App.R.(S) 444 *

In cases of very serious affray where it is plain that there was some measure of preparation, some measure of central organisation and direction, those who are proved to be organisers and ringleaders can expect heavy custodial sentences.

If an offender is convicted of other offences such as wounding or if he has shown to have manufactured, thrown or been in possession of petrol bombs, different considerations will apply to those set out below.

Sentencing Guidelines Council
    * Please note case heard prior to implementation of the Public Order Act 1986 which set the maximum penalty for
    affray at 3 years imprisonment.
    Guidelines
    • For organisers/ringleaders, sentences may be in the range of 7 years’
    imprisonment and upwards, apart from any sentences imposed upon them for
    other specific offences arising from the incident.
    • In a prolonged and vicious attack upon the police, any participant, however slight
    his involvement, can expect a sentence of at least 18 months to 2 years.
    • The carrying of weapons and/or throwing of missiles ought properly to be
    reflected in an increase in that minimum.
    Current Sentencing Practice Reference: B3-1
    From reading mikes post from the guardian it looks like the cops have him and his brother down as the main instigators.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭JæKæ

He belongs in jail with his axe murderer brother.

Odd. The one Mike posted pretty much claims they were running around jumping random passers by after they got in the main fight in the McDonalds. The BBC report focuses more on his own lawyer claiming he was provoked with comments about his brother, and makes no real mention of anyone being involved other than the Bartons/the girl and the people they ran into in mackers. Its odd as the neither report is depending on second hand witness accounts, it appears both journalists are only reporting about the details heard in the courtroom, yet the two reports are quite different.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7162722.stm

I remember a few months back two cousins of Barton were wanted for yet another murder, anything ever come of that one?

I think the BBC is usually quite cautious reporting on something like this. The Guardian will go in more gung-ho with its report

"Prosecutor Jayne Hughes said Barton could be seen on closed circuit television cameras confronting a group of people on Church Street.

"The CCTV clearly shows Mr. Barton involved in altercations with members of the public going about their business," Hughes said. "He was seen pacing around Church Street and lashing out indiscriminately at people walking around and standing around."

Barton's lawyer, Gwyn Lewis, said Barton was being "goaded" in the street and reacted after a female member of his group was attacked.

"Mr. Barton was involved in an incident of which he is in no way proud," Lewis said. "It is fair to say there was an enormous amount of provocation, although that is not a defense."
    "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,286 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Hopefully he will get a good number of years if found guilty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Hopefully, he'll get a good number of years in the slammer.....? I doubt it'll change him, though.........once a scumbag - always a scumbag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

The BBC are wary about going full into this, they have a sports section that depends on clubs co-operating. The Guardian really can take sport or leave it, and hence do what they want.

Personally I think this is his second assault in about 12 months, and he was still on bail for the other one. I think he's going to jail, and probably should.

p.s. just as a side absurdity, did anybody else think, ****, this messes up my fantasy football team when they saw this. I've become obsessed :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

PHB wrote: »
    p.s. just as a side absurdity, did anybody else think, ****, this messes up my fantasy football team when they saw this. I've become obsessed :/

No, I've a strict 'No Newcastle players' policy that's been in force for a few years ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

My main thought was "what reason will FF use for his absence?".

Turns out its a disappointing "unavailable".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,988 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

My first thought was ' christ that barton's some £$%^, being given a load of chances to sort himself out and still fcking up'.

My second thought was 'i might bring emre back in now..'

I know what you mean, even the least important games take on massive significance. even if none of your players are playing your dying for both teams to score (ideally goals by random unknowns) so other people dont get the clean sheet bonus!

I even found myself publicly ridiculing Ronaldo for taking the ball off Tevez in the last min for the pen a few weeks ago, denying him his hatrick, but secretly thanking jesus as Ronaldo was my captain that week!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,286 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

One of the beauties of not bothering with all the FF crap is you just do not get into tangles about real life and virtual world situations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Much akin to not bothering with the SPL for me then ;)

What a strange turn this thread has taken. I was much more interested in the way Barton wore his suit in that way which only youths in court seem to achive.

Mike.

mike65 wrote: »
    What a strange turn this thread has taken. I was much more interested in the way Barton wore his suit in that way which only youths in court seem to achive.

Mike.

link?

• Advertisement

He was on Sky News in a shiny suit peering into the sun as he walked past/to the court, can't find a pic.

Found it flash vid click

Mike.

He was on Sky News in a shiny suit peering into the sun as he walked past/to the court,

*wipes eyes*

Damn, I got up too early. I misread that and thought you said "peeing" :eek::p

LOL! Well its Barton...

Mike.

Well its Barton...

Which is why it made perfect sense at the time tbh :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,899 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

So Joey has plead guilty and will be sentenced today. Odds on a suspended sentence?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/topstories/2008/06/30/video-joey-barton-s-violent-attack-on-a-man-outside-a-mcdonald-s-restaurant-in-liverpool-89520-20627202/
    Video: Joey Barton's violent attack on a man outside a McDonald's restaurant in Liverpool

By Mirror.co.uk 30/06/2008

Shocking footage of footballer Joey Barton's violent assault on a man outside a McDonald's restaurant emerged tonight.

The CCTV images show the drunken Newcastle United midfielder knock his victim to the ground and then hit him 20 times in the face.

Barton, 25, is currently serving a six-month jail term for the sickening assault in Liverpool city centre last Christmas. There is no suggestion that any of the bystanders seen in the video footage were involved.

Sentencing the England international last month, Judge Henry Globe described the attack as "violent and cowardly" and branded Barton a "disgraceful coward".

The video was released after Barton today admitted assaulting a former Manchester City team-mate in a training ground fight.

Barton punched Frenchman Ousmane Dabo in a bust-up in May last year.

Click the link to see the vid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Saw the vid on the news last night, he's some pr!ck. Coulda sworn they said on the news that he changed his plea to guilty on the Dabo incident and that the judge would give a suspended sentence :eek:
    If that's true it's a f*ckin disgrace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

He really is quite the model citizen. :rolleyes:

Funny that the clip says "There is no suggestion that any of the bystanders seen in the video footage were involved" It must be some legal disclaimer but it quite clear that the others are involved, even the women. Nice people.

Advertisement