Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roundabout outside a house

Options
  • 30-10-2007 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

As part of a traffic calming measure Dunlaoghaire Rathdown are proposing to put a roundabout right outside my house, which I fear could make it hard for me to get the car in and out of the driveway safely. I live on a T Junction in Grove Ave which is a residential street with a rat run for the rush hour traffic. I'd love to know if there are any precedents for such a measure i.e. a roundabout with 2 driveways (my neighbour's andy mine) opening onto it in addition to the 3 exits it will have. Do you know of any examples in Dublin or anywhere else. We are in the public consultation phase at the moment.

Thanks,
    Pat.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

How can you enter/exit you house legally?!!

If you drive straight into yoru drive you (presumably) will have to reverse out with the back of the car moving the wrong way round the roundabout! That is illegal. Likewise, if you stop and attempt to reverse into your drive you are again reversing the wrong way around a roundabout which is essentially a circular one way street!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,927 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Afaik, a mini-roundabout isn't a roundabout in law. ie: the painted spot in the middle is purely decorative and intended to indicate right of way. If you took away the spot, the same right of way rules would apply. RotR say at a junction of two roads of equal importance, traffic coming from the right has priority.

So I guess you just picture the junction without the roundabout and enter/exit your house accordingly. Btw, I believe it's illegal to reverse out from your house onto the road, which would mean the legal thing is to reverse into your driveway.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

Stark wrote: »
    Afaik, a mini-roundabout isn't a roundabout in law. ie: the painted spot in the middle is purely decorative and intended to indicate right of way. If you took away the spot, the same right of way rules would apply. RotR say at a junction of two roads of equal importance, traffic coming from the right has priority.

So I guess you just picture the junction without the roundabout and enter/exit your house accordingly. Btw, I believe it's illegal to reverse out from your house onto the road, which would mean the legal thing is to reverse into your driveway.

Roundabouts are legal no matter what size or form they take, Stark. OP really needs to get on to the Roads department in DLRC as soon as possible to query same; a call to her local community garda officer and her residents association wouldn't go amiss. I can't think off the bat where there is mini roundabouts such as yours in Dublin but I am sure that this can't be the first case of same in Dublin.

To be pedantic, if there is no headway made, I suggest that she could go around the roundabout from her driveway driving the car in reverse and be perfectly legal :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I'm not a nimby by any stretch but I would object to that bigtime. It might go without incident for a decade but then there's a fender bender and it'll be messy to establish fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,285 ✭✭✭✭Victor

There is one in Portmarnock and I suspect the Artane Roundabout also has one or two private entrances.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

Have they done a Road Safety Audit? If not, then they should and ask that your issue be examined....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Palmyra

HonalD wrote: »
    Have they done a Road Safety Audit? If not, then they should and ask that your issue be examined....:)

Many thanks to all for the support and replies. It is useful to have that term "Road Safety Audit". By the way on a T junction you really need to reverse in as, otherwise you have to watch both sides and over your shoulder when coming out - I have been doing it for 15 years and it is great practice for parking! I couldn't find the roundabout in Portmarnock on Google Maps - the Artane roundabout is a much greater scale than my little one but I'll keep looking.

Pat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Hamndegger wrote: »
    I can't think off the bat where there is mini roundabouts such as yours in Dublin but I am sure that this can't be the first case of same in Dublin.

It isn't. Avondale Rd at the Junction of Arnos Grove has a roundabout at a T-junction with a driveway opening onto it. That was part of a traffic calming scheme which has been very successful at cutting down the traffic on a wide main road and diverting it to a very dangerous narrow road.

The traffic department of DLRCC are complete tards. Everyone living in the county needs to be on the lookout for stupid, badly designed traffic calming schemes as it seems they are on a rampage to ruin the few roads that are still free flowing with their stupid red brick ramps.

There was a bitter arguement with the homeowner on Avondale at the time, more to do with the loss of the grass verge outside the property though AFAIR. This was after a long campaign by the residents at large to put in the traffic calming.

It is the Irish way though. Buy a house on a main road, bitch and moan that there is a constant stream of fast traffic on the main road until a completely inappropriate scheme is put in and then moan that the scheme is taking away your parking spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

John R wrote: »
    their stupid red brick ramps
    Not brick John - coloured concrete with a 'red brick' pattern embossed onto it. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Palmyra wrote: »
    I couldn't find the roundabout in Portmarnock
    Is this it?

Portmarnock.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Goofy

I remember seeing somthing on tv like this. A mans driveway opened onto a very busy and fast road. Reversing into and out of the driveway was very dangerous due to a blind curve close to his house, and, like most driveways, there wasnt enough room to turn the car. To solve his predicament the man built a small turntable in his driveway. Just big enough for his car to fit on. I hope this helps:D

• Registered Users Posts: 78,285 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Is this it?
    Yes. It was put in to slow down traffic coming from Portmarnock village. The resident was losing their front wall several times per year, typicly on a weekend in the small hours.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Palmyra wrote: »
    As part of a traffic calming measure Dunlaoghaire Rathdown are proposing to put a roundabout right outside my house, which I fear could make it hard for me to get the car in and out of the driveway safely. I live on a T Junction in Grove Ave which is a residential street with a rat run for the rush hour traffic. I'd love to know if there are any precedents for such a measure i.e. a roundabout with 2 driveways (my neighbour's andy mine) opening onto it in addition to the 3 exits it will have. Do you know of any examples in Dublin or anywhere else. We are in the public consultation phase at the moment.

Thanks,
    Pat.

Thoses plans are just a public consultation stage now. If its not two late you can maje a submission to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Nevada

Goofy wrote: »
    To solve his predicament the man built a small turntable in his driveway. Just big enough for his car to fit on. I hope this helps:D

Build a turntable?? Come on:)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Palmyra

kearnsr wrote: »
    Thoses plans are just a public consultation stage now. If its not two late you can maje a submission to it.
    For anyone interested - the council scrapped the plans citing the level of local opposition as the reason.
    Thanks for the input.
    Pat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

NIMBY ;)

*kidding :D

Advertisement