Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TCD - translational oncology or molecular medicine

• 04-06-2016 4:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44

Im not sure if here or the TCD forum is the right place for this post, but Im looking for opinions on both the molecular medicine and translational oncology courses. At the moment Im leaning towards the oncology masters, but I'd love to hear from anyone about their experiences on these courses, and whether you'd recommend them. Thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Moved from Postgraduates.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭F.Grimes

would love to hear some peoples experiences on this also!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44 JK2015

F.Grimes wrote: »
    would love to hear some peoples experiences on this also!

Have you decided to apply?? I guess class sizes are pretty small and its a relatively new course so not many have done it yet.

JK2015 wrote: »
    Have you decided to apply?? I guess class sizes are pretty small and its a relatively new course so not many have done it yet.

I have applied for Mol med! what about you?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 smitha25

Hey, a friend told me about this thread so I thought I'd give my two cents!

I did Trans Oncol in 2013 and I think there were only ~22 in my class (but I think this has increased to around 30). It's an intense course, and a big step up from undergrad, but I did enjoy it and it gave me some useful connections!

• Advertisement

smitha25 wrote: »
    Hey, a friend told me about this thread so I thought I'd give my two cents!

I did Trans Oncol in 2013 and I think there were only ~22 in my class (but I think this has increased to around 30). It's an intense course, and a big step up from undergrad, but I did enjoy it and it gave me some useful connections!

Cool thanks for signing up to Boards to respond!

You mention it was a big step up from undergrad, can I ask what was your undergrad, just for a little context. Cheers

My undergrad was in Biomedical Sciences (from NUI Maynooth). I had taken a year out in between so the lectures, assignments, and exams were maybe a shock to the system!
    There's a lab placement at the end of the year which is also good experience, and there was a good range of topics to choose from when I was there.

My undergrad was in Biomedical Sciences (from NUI Maynooth). I had taken a year out in between so the lectures, assignments, and exams were maybe a shock to the system!
    There's a lab placement at the end of the year which is also good experience, and there was a good range of topics to choose from when I was there.

Ok good, that might explain it! I was really looking forward to the MSc, as being a welcome break from my undergrad.

Ok good, that might explain it! I was really looking forward to the MSc, as being a welcome break from my undergrad.

Hopefully you'll enjoy it. It was a lot more interactive than my undergrad and the lecturers really welcomed discussions etc.!

Hopefully you'll enjoy it. It was a lot more interactive than my undergrad and the lecturers really welcomed discussions etc.!

Hopefully so! so you must have been in one of the first trans onc years? Its a pretty new course right?

• Advertisement

Hopefully so! so you must have been in one of the first trans onc years? Its a pretty new course right?

Yeah I was in the first cohort, so we were the guinea pigs. I think it has changed slightly in the last few years, but the general structure is the same as far as I can tell.
    Do you cover much oncology/tumour biology in your undergrad?

Yeah I was in the first cohort, so we were the guinea pigs. I think it has changed slightly in the last few years, but the general structure is the same as far as I can tell.
    Do you cover much oncology/tumour biology in your undergrad?

Id be coming in to the intercalated MSc from Med, and would most likely be doing to the Mol med stream, but I was pretty interested in the trans onc too

Id be coming in to the intercalated MSc from Med, and would most likely be doing to the Mol med stream, but I was pretty interested in the trans onc too

Ah okay. I think mol med is quite popular with med students. I know two people who did mol med and they seemed to enjoy it. It has a fairly similar set up to trans oncol, and a similar class size.

Ah okay. I think mol med is quite popular with med students. I know two people who did mol med and they seemed to enjoy it. It has a fairly similar set up to trans oncol, and a similar class size.

What kind of actual contact time were you looking at per week, I know the project at the end is a little different so just exclude that for handiness sake!

I was in Mon-Fri from around 10-4 or 10-5. It depended on the modules, and there was definitely days where you'd have more time off but all in all it was pretty much full-time.

I was in Mon-Fri from around 10-4 or 10-5. It depended on the modules, and there was definitely days where you'd have more time off but all in all it was pretty much full-time.

Ok cool, that's not too bad!

How did you find the intercalating students in general?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 longford101

How were the interviews?

How were the interviews?

can't answer this one, didn't have to do one

Advertisement