Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Most embarrassing Irish sporting moment?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭valoren

Warren Gatland drops "BOD" for a test match and Irish Rugby fans absolutely LOSE THEIR ****!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭S. Goodspeed

It's been said before but I'll say it again, John Delany.

Under his stewardess grass roots football has been more neglected than ever before, Steve Staunton was appointed manger of the national team, another manager was sacked/replaced for poor results, an assistant manager is being paid 700k a year (ASSISTANT manager), and most damning of all, because allegedly he "can run anything", they have relied of multiple debt write offs from banks and FIFA and numerous handouts from UEFA to simply stay afloat. How on earth is he still in a job let alone on 400k a year??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,400 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

. How on earth is he still in a job let alone on 400k a year??

The man knows who to keep sweet. Check out the amount of presidents, honorary presidents and various other execs and board members make up the FAI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

mikemac1 wrote: »
    We roll eyes at the English and 1966 but we are worse

After everything that's been on the Irish websites over the past few weeks about Italia '90 I tend to agree with you.

At least they won the World Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

you are mixing this up with the clare v offaly game in 1998, when the ref blew the game up early. for your information, all the money was donated to charity from the replay.

I could be misremembering this, but I seem to remember that 'part of the takings' were to go to the Omagh bombing victims, but without any mention of how much. Do you have any info, links or the like?

Incidentally, the whole Offaly - Clare thing was a shambles in retrospect. I was in Croke Park for the replay (as an Offaly fan) and we were absolutely furious when the ref blew for full time, and I was part of the pitch invasion. Clare were robbed as in all likelihood they would have won being 3 points ahead with 5 minutes to go.
    I was at the replay in Semple Stadium and it was a magical day out for Offaly fans, was ecstatic when we won. At the time it felt like justice was done, but looking back, Clare were the victims.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

Appointing Martin oNeill and Roy Keane as manager and assistant manager, ie:the Two Ronnies
    Allowing roy keane to be part of the ireland team after the fcuker walked out on the team
    The fact that we won't qualify for euro 2016
    All the hype about the rugby team and they'll lose to a worse team at the world cup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

votecounts wrote: »
    Appointing Martin oNeill and Roy Keane as manager and assistant manager, ie:the Two Ronnies
    Allowing roy keane to be part of the ireland team after the fcuker walked out on the team
    The fact that we won't qualify for euro 2016
    All the hype about the rugby team and they'll lose to a worse team at the world cup

Well you are a great big bundle of positivity, arent you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Lucena wrote: »
    I could be misremembering this, but I seem to remember that 'part of the takings' were to go to the Omagh bombing victims, but without any mention of how much.

Probably your standard GAA media spin. I doubt that it ever happened. The GAA never opposed Irish republicanism. I had the misfortune of watching a GAA game today for the first time in years. Dublin v Kildare; a truly appalling spectacle. As per usual, I just came across a bad game and the rest are all amazing games .......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Berserker wrote: »
    Probably your standard GAA media spin. I doubt that it ever happened. The GAA never opposed Irish republicanism. I had the misfortune of watching a GAA game today for the first time in years. Dublin v Kildare; a truly appalling spectacle. As per usual, I just came across a bad game and the rest are all amazing games .......

WRONG

See the link below.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/proceeds-for-omagh-fund-1.186404

You obviously missed the first game today which was one of the best matches of the year across any sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

A strange decision given that they name their grounds up there after convicted terrorists.

Example : Link
    You obviously missed the first game today which was one of the best matches of the year across any sport.

Well, it may have been but I can tell you that they one I watched certainly wasn't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

KevIRL wrote: »
    I disagree

You know you're wrong when anncoates thanks your post :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

so unimaginative and cringy.....also the, "theres only one (enter sportsperson here)"

The above is exempt from criticism since it did give us the greatest ever football chant - "there's only two Andy Gorams, two Andy Gorams".

A strange decision given that they name their grounds up there after convicted terrorists.

Example : Link

Well, it may have been but I can tell you that they one I watched certainly wasn't.

The clubs are given a lot of leeway to do what the want.The GAA at central level wouldn't be able to stop them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Lot of competition for this one.

Morons protesting outside the French embassy. Grown men, ffs!!!!

John Delaney throwing his tie in the crowd in Moscow(?).

The Gah desperate for attention and money in 1991 ordering a replay in the Dublin-Meath game after somebody had won the match.

Ireland fans demanding an award after Euro2012 for something or other.

Irish fans booing some player against Denmark years ago because they thought he played for Rangers. (He didn't).

Irish fans booing an England player because he might leave their favourite (English) club.

Working class people jumping on the rugby bandwagon. Sad.

John Delaney.

I´m no fan of Rugby, but is it a closed membership then ?

Does one need to be from Dublin 4 and make 150k+ a year to be a fan ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

Gaelic Games

why do we persist with this parochial muck, we should concentrate on international sports

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

philstar wrote: »
    Gaelic Games

why do we persist with this parochial muck, we should concentrate on international sports

Is that a sporting moment or just a dig at the GAA?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Dunne getting stopped within ninety seconds of the first round against Kiko Martinez.

Poor old Jimmy Magee still hasn't gotten over that.

That irish priest that knocked over the Brazilian in the Olympics was pretty embarrassing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Michelle Smith washing her fanny with whiskey.

I love whiskey.

• Advertisement

razorblunt wrote: »
    The 60-0 is the first thing to come into my head but that Horan incident where he ruined the Greek lads Marathon was awful
    I bought as many yoghurts as I could and wore a toga to work for a week to make up for it in some way.

But yeah that 60 point drubbing was atrocious.

Brazilian lad.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

That irish priest that knocked over the Brazilian in the Olympics was pretty embarrassing

a good ol'laugh :D when i saw it on TV

a fr ted moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

That poor Irish lad in the Hammer event in Olympics and he brings down the nets around him. Not sure if video is around.

Willie Casey vs Guillermo Rigondeaux, as a Limerick man I was so happy to see Willie get beaten :D:D

You had a few quid on Guillermo? I'm from Limerick and had to listen to the ****e talking before the bout.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

That poor Irish lad in the Hammer event in Olympics and he brings down the nets around him. Not sure if video is around.

Was he the fella who's throw went so far off line that it destroyed computer equipment on a table and nearly killed an official sitting there?

Was he the fella who's throw went so far off line that it destroyed computer equipment on a table and nearly killed an official sitting there?

Most likely, although maybe we had 2 crap Hammer Throwers ;)

• Advertisement

mikemac1 wrote: »
    An English club and a Scottish club playing the "Dublin Derby"

Matt Cooper and others banging on about Munster beating New Zealand in a meaningless friendly in 1978. Thomand Park was like the GPO that day, everyone claiming they were there! We roll eyes at the English and 1966 but we are worse

Only team in Ireland to beat the All Blacks. Can't cringe that.

Patww79 wrote: »
    It's just fashionable at the moment. Once the team goes back to being crap, normal people will lose interest and it'll be back to being just for Tarquin and the goys.

Not in Limerick.

I remember watching England v Ireland in 96 in Limerick hotel and barely 5 people were watching it ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

callaway92 wrote:
    We lost 2-5 to them

Sorry. Still, conceding 5 (five) goals against Cyprus.. Id be less embarrassed to lose 1 nil to Gibraltar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭thomasj

Roger_007 wrote: »
    John Delaney whinging about being beaten by the Henry hand-ball and looking to be let in to the World Cup finals as the '33rd' team.

Yep and then taking a sweetener off FIFA and not telling the players or manager.

Also in equestrian cian O'Connors horse failing the drugs test.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭nokia69

the_monkey wrote: »
    I´m no fan of Rugby, but is it a closed membership then ?

Does one need to be from Dublin 4 and make 150k+ a year to be a fan ?

nope

I played a bit of rugby with people from all back grounds

and none of them liked bandwagons

the game is open to anyone with an interest in playing or watching, if you get involved you will see this yourself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭nokia69

philstar wrote: »
    Gaelic Games

hurling is the finest game in the world

you just can't beat a good hurling match, and I'm from Kildare

football does need a rule change to reduce hand passing but can still be a good game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Collie D wrote: »
    The man knows who to keep sweet. Check out the amount of presidents, honorary presidents and various other execs and board members make up the FAI.

There's alot of bitching here about the GAA. The GAA is a democratic body whose lowliest member can propose the most radical motion at his club's AGM and see it ultimately go to Congress to be voted on. When other sporting bodies have a similar structure maybe they will leave you all with less to groan about. And don't start me on international bodies such as FIFA and the IOC.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭MathDebater

Poor old Jimmy Magee still hasn't gotten over that.

He fcuking loved Dunne. Dunne would be getting his head kicked in and Magee would be going 'Ah, yes. Well done, Bernard.'

Probably your standard GAA media spin. I doubt that it ever happened.

Facts please.
    The GAA never opposed Irish republicanism.

The GAA embraces a fairly broad spectrum of Irish society and political opinion. It's attitude to republicans in its midst replicates the attitude of say the IRFU to the Davy Tweeds in its midst. To link the GAA in this way to the Omagh bombing, by saying it never opposed republicanism, particularly given the the colour of republicanism that was responsible for Omagh, is a despicable slur.

I had the misfortune of watching a GAA game today for the first time in years. Dublin v Kildare; a truly appalling spectacle. As per usual, I just came across a bad game and the rest are all amazing games .......

It's a fair bet that it was also the first time in years that you got any inkling of gaelic football form. Otherwise you would most likely have watched Meath v. Westmeath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

From a Waterford point of view . The all Ireland senior hurling final 2008 kilkenny 3-30- Waterford 1-13 was embarrassing for us. The 2011 Munster senior final Tipperary 7-19- Waterford 0-19.

Mayo's recent all Ireland senior football final defeats

Ireland losing to Argentina in the 1999 rugby world cup

Any time this d!ckhead turns up at an event

Yes, Horan's antics have to be at the top of the list of embarrassments. There was every indication that the Brazilian guy he obstructed was in for a medal, maybe even gold. What a selfish publicity seeking pr1ck! Unfortunately, if I remember rightly, at least two judges bought sob stories from this jerk. I maintain a spell inside on bread and water would have cured him.
    Also up there should be any of the cheating incidents mentioned.
    But forget about those defeats to Cyprus or Spain or even Germany. That's sport, not life. The only people who deserve to suffer embarrassment on account of those reverses are those who don't want to work who spend their days in pubs watching it all on tv.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

YFlyer wrote: »
    You had a few quid on Guillermo? I'm from Limerick and had to listen to the ****e talking before the bout.
    Jesus I was only 11 or so when that fight happened, 2009 or so I'd say.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

Jesus I was only 11 or so when that fight happened, 2009 or so I'd say.

Late 2010.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

I was 12 so :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭crybaby

Any time this d!ckhead turns up at an event

What a sad, pathetic individual

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I can't help but think that people complaining about football fans singing even though the team were losing are kind of missing the point of being a fan.

I suppose they should have sat silently and complained about it on Boards on their phones.
    And then complained about the GAA too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,833 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

the all ireland final 2011 also....game was level going into injury time and the ref awarded a dubious free to Dublin. not only did it take Cluxton about a minute + to take the free, but the ref blew it up as soon as the kick out was taken.

he cost the GAA about €4million.

Ohh wow so one example disproves my point ? Gimmie a break..

Strumms wrote: »

Not to mention the benifits to the gaa of Dublin winning an all ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,833 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Or even thinking about the broader point that the GAA and all the fixtures throughout the year dont all involve Dublin.. what guff.. but typical of that GAA mindset

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Or even thinking about the broader point that the GAA and all the fixtures throughout the year dont all involve Dublin.. what guff.. but typical of that GAA mindset

What exactly is "the GAA mindset" according to you?

Yeah because if they hadn't won it that year they never would have won it again.

Actually Dublin being so good has probably reduced the GAA's income.When Dublin were less successful it meant games in leinster were tighter and bigger crowds turned up.The game yesterday would have attracted a bigger crowd 6 or 7 years ago when Dublin were more mediocre

The free was marginal decision to award but the correct one.

No the example I provided earlier also disproves it as do numerous other instances where matches have been won by late scores.

Draws are very rare occurences in GAA There have 2 so far this year so out of 47 matches and neither of them were potentially big money spinners.So your point overall is complete bull.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

I do find it ironic that fans of Gaelic Games are the ones often slated for being rabidly anti-other sports. These types of threads usually show the opposite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Irish people who call the GAA money grabbers (for accepting gate reciepts for replays) but then watch events sanctioned by FIFA, UEFA, PL, NFL, EPCR etc.

Advertisement