Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Most embarrassing Irish sporting moment?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

DG7 wrote: »
    I respect the guy for being very good at his sport. I also understand the showmanship being part and parcel of UFC but I find Conor McGregor to be quite embarrassing in some of his press conferences

McGregor
    full stop.

I appreciate anyone who is so committed to a sport they love.
    But he makes me cringe every time he talks
    I can't wait until someone knocks him out so he fades in the memory like a bad cold.

Far to cocky and thinks he is a god. Is probably the reason I hate him.
    Makes a fool of himself everytime hes on tv

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

Here it is in full, skip on to about 5.10 to see Damien Duff cringing.

Thanks a million!

Rory McIlroy ridding himself of the Irish flag handed to him at a tournament was pretty embarrassing.

Also, the way the Irish media fawn over him, and seem to think everyone who doesn't, and the Irish Golf Union who funded him are some how sectarian for wanting him to continue to represent Ireland at golf ie. World matchplay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

George Best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

The GAA funding Thomas Davis' campaign to destroy Shamrock Rovers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Can you link me to an article? First I've heard of it but it wouldn't shock me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

GAA lost out on land in the area for a stadium last week

fcuk them:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

The whole construction of the McCarthy v Keane thing in 2002.

I know that its probably been done to death but it was constructed in such a manner that you would almost think that McCarthy was at fault for the FAI's poor organisation!

I sincerely doubt that someone came to Mick asking if he would like more resources and he said " nah lads, fcuk that- enjoy your jolly up and myself and the boys will slum it"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Can you link me to an article? First I've heard of it but it wouldn't shock me.

Wow, can't believe people don't know about this. Link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭GreatDefector

George Best.

??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

??

To be fair, if people are talking about McGregor as this huge embarrassment despite never getting into any trouble outside of his job, it's hardly unfair to say the same about Best, who was in constant trouble off the pitch in spells, by most accounts was awful and abusive father and husband, a pretty extreme alcoholic, a guy who reached the highest of highs but lost it all because of said vices, and glorified this with many of his witty quotes.

Personally, I don't think either of them are even bordering on close to our greatest embarrassment by even the wildest stretches of the imaginations, and have no understanding why either would be considered as such.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,411 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Im glad that the rovers stadium was built the way it was but wouldn't blame the GAA for trying to get something out of it. Rovers own ineptitude got them into a place where someone else had to build their stadium with public money. It worked out for Rovers they got a decent stadium eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

salmocab wrote: »
    Im glad that the rovers stadium was built the way it was but wouldn't blame the GAA for trying to get something out of it. Rovers own ineptitude got them into a place where someone else had to build their stadium with public money. It worked out for Rovers they got a decent stadium eventually.

The Kilcoyne Family sold out Milltown for housing development. Rovers went on the road for years, there was a dispute over the Tallaght stadium and the GAA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Rory McIlroy ridding himself of the Irish flag handed to him at a tournament was pretty embarrassing.

Also, the way the Irish media fawn over him, and seem to think everyone who doesn't, and the Irish Golf Union who funded him are some how sectarian for wanting him to continue to represent Ireland at golf ie. World matchplay.

A Northern Irishman not wanting to cause a flag incident at home over him? How embarrassing indeed. He has been very smart in mostly being pictured holding the Northern Irish flag only (apart from the odd time - like when he raised the tricolour on the flag poll at the Walker Cup while the national anthem played) and that is very wise considering the situation he faces.

The Kilcoyne Family sold out Milltown for housing development. Rovers went on the road for years, there was a dispute over the Tallaght stadium and the GAA.

yes I know what happened

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Drunk people chanting "oh when the *insert team here* go marching in" in the street while on the way to watch some match nobody cares about in a pub

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Hate any idolisation of George Best, ya he was a decent footballer but more so a drunk wifebeater.

McGregor, Just a total flute, as a previous poster said, it can't come soon enough for someone to give him a good hiding and shut his gob up.

Boxers from our famous ethnic minority. Really, can we not be good at something that hasn't been perfected from bare knuckle drunken brawling.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

yes I know what happened

So who is to blame? It would be very much the Kilcoyne family if I were a Rovers fan. Milltown was known as the best pitch in Dublin.

• Advertisement

So who is to blame? It would be very much the Kilcoyne family if I were a Rovers fan. Milltown was known as the best pitch in Dublin.

I was more referring to having a half built stadium sitting for years in Tallaght because the club couldn't get sorted for funding

I was more referring to having a half built stadium sitting for years in Tallaght because the club couldn't get sorted for funding

It wasn't that clean or simple. A member of SRFC or a loyal LoI fan would give you the full story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

Shamrock Rovers also put a lot of money into getting the site, including €100,000 after the fans had taken over, plus what they put into it in the late 90s/early 00s before the project being stalled and the fans taking over. It was mostly complete in the mid-00s and when the SDCC were to complete the stadium and begin renting it out, there wasn't a whole lot left to do and it would've costed relatively little. Rovers and others that use it pay well for the rent, you can be sure that the SDCC will be making a significant profit over the lifetime of the stadium. That's good for the council and the public, by making a healthy profit from what became in the mid-00s a project that wasn't overly risky when Rovers became a fans-owned entity and committed to using the ground long term. And it's brilliant for the area, getting to regularly host top quality national football, Champions League and Europa League qualifiers and even the Europa League group stages. Imagine 15-20 years ago if you said that Juventus, Copenhagen, Partizan Belgrade, Tottenham Hotspur, Real Madrid etc. would be coming to play in Tallaght.

To be able to accommodate senior Gaelic games, they would have had to increase the pitch size. This would have meant they would have had to knock the existing stand that was nearly finished, which would have significantly increased costs and would have limited future capacity to about 4,500. At the moment, the capacity is 6,000, with plans to increase it to 7,500 and it has an overall potential of 10,000. This would have meant no Europa League Group stages, no Spurs, if it ended up being any less than 4,500 or if the stadium were not completed on time, it would have meant no Juventus, no Copenhagen, no Belgrade etc. It would have been completely unreasonable to expect to limit the stadium's potential and to drastically increase costs and build time just to accomodate Thomas Davis' senior team. It would have also reduced the rent that SDCC could've demanded, it being a smaller stadium, so they'd have been spending more money to end up getting less in rent. The ground can still host junior Gaelic games, as can it host other sports such as American football, rugby etc., which have all been played in Tallaght.

Thomas Davis were funded by the central GAA to take this case. Shamrock Rovers were not similarly funded by the FAI, it was the fans that had fund their battle. The court ruled that Rovers and the SDCC had no case to answer and that Thomas Davis had no legal basis for complaint. The case wasn't taken because they felt they weren't being treated fairly. Which, of course, is nonsense, because around the time that they were taking action, they were receiving grants from the State to the tune of hundreds of thousands. The Minister for Sports even offered to give Thomas Davis State-assistance with developing a 25 acre site, but that wasn't good enough. They wanted the stadium that Shamrock Rovers were going to play in. It wasn't about fairness, it was about trying to prevent Rovers from coming to Tallaght. They felt it was their patch and other sports shouldn't be welcome. They wanted a long-drawn out legal battle, in the hope that Rovers would just give up, not be able to afford or go bust in the process. In communication with the Dublin County Board, they felt that "in any bout with Rovers...the GAA would be the last man standing". The sinister motive was clear.

The actions of Thomas Davis and the GAA were not embarrassing. They were absolutely despicable. Thankfully, the right people won the court case and things turned out pretty well for Shamrock Rovers and the SDCC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Here it is in full, skip on to about 5.10 to see Damien Duff cringing.

Watched about a minute of that through my hands. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

The goading the GAA got from the media and some of the general public over Croke Park being partly taxpayer/lotto funded compared to the silence that greeted an even greater level of taxpayer funding provided to build the Aviva Stadium was quite embarassing in my opinion.

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    It wasn't about fairness, it was about trying to prevent Rovers from coming to Tallaght.

Of course it was. They wanted a sporting monopoly in the area. I don't like Rovers or their fans in particular, after witnessing them in all their glory in Belfast a few years ago but they deserve credit for the manner in which they stood up to and beat the powerhouse that is the GAA.
    The goading the GAA got from the media

Are you for real? The media loves them. Take a look at the amount of coverage that the state media gives to their sports.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

Waterford United appointing Roddy Collins as their 19th manger since 1890 1990!

Berserker wrote: »
    Of course it was. They wanted a sporting monopoly in the area. I don't like Rovers or their fans in particular, after witnessing them in all their glory in Belfast a few years ago but they deserve credit for the manner in which they stood up to and beat the powerhouse that is the GAA.

Are you for real? The media loves them. Take a look at the amount of coverage that the state media gives to their sports.

Considering Gaelic Football and Hurling are the 2 best attended sports in this country you'd expect the 2 sports to get a fair bit of media coverage.

For 2 or 3 years there was non stop mention of Croke Park receiving tax payer money to help build it and therefore it should have been available to be used by the FAI and IRFU however the media then decided not to point out that even more money was provided by the tax payer to build the Aviva which would never be available for Gaelic games.

I don't have a problem with either situation but the media took an unbelievably biased stance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

I thought the LOI fans were vehemently against any sort of franchising of the league (which incidentally would probably help them better compete against the GAA outside Dublin). Given this I find it strange that there is near unanimous support for SR - a cynic would easily draw comparisons between their move and that of MK Dons, a team vilified for the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    I thought the LOI fans were vehemently against any sort of franchising of the league (which incidentally would probably help them better compete against the GAA outside Dublin). Given this I find it strange that there is near unanimous support for SR - a cynic would easily draw comparisons between their move and that of MK Dons, a team vilified for the same.
    There was near unanimous support for them in terms of their battle with GAA and Thomas Davis. I don't think that many LOI fans, given the perilous condition of many clubs, would begrudge them a stable home either.

We can still hate them though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Jimoslimos wrote: »

I don't think the LOI and GAA are that much in competition. The Premier League is the LOIs biggest foe.

Also Miltown to Tallaght isnt exactly the same Geographical leap as Wimbledon to Milton Keynes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭degsie

Conor McGregor being interviewed.

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    A Northern Irishman not wanting to cause a flag incident at home over him? How embarrassing indeed. He has been very smart in mostly being pictured holding the Northern Irish flag only (apart from the odd time - like when he raised the tricolour on the flag poll at the Walker Cup while the national anthem played) and that is very wise considering the situation he faces.

I meant seeing him being given the flag by a person, without knowing the context, and then him dropping it.

Maybe cringe inducing would be a better description.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Berserker wrote: »
    It wasn't that clean or simple. A member of SRFC or a loyal LoI fan would give you the full story.
    So you don't know, but another dig at the taig GAA will do for you.

tipptom wrote: »
    So you don't know, but another dig at the taig GAA will do for you.

I know most of the detail involved but as I said, an individual who is a full member of SRFC or a die-hard LoI fan would be able to give you the full story from start to finish.

I think I inadvertently started a bit of a soccer v GAA argument so just to be clear as I said in my post 2 pages back Im glad rovers got the stadium they did but I don't blame the GAA for trying to get something out of it. Rovers badly needed a stadium and to be fair Tallaght needed a boost too. That said the GAA are only tasked with looking out for themselves really and tried (thankfully unsuccessively) to get something for themselves. With regards the LOI and football in general in this country its beyond belief how badly such a popular sport is run. It seems to be rotten from the top down and won't change anytime soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

I meant seeing him being given the flag by a person, without knowing the context, and then him dropping it.

Maybe cringe inducing would be a better description.

Was this when he won the US Open? If so, it was the security guard who grabbed it, McIlroy didn't throw it away.

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    Shamrock Rovers also put a lot of money into getting the site, including €100,000 after the fans had taken over, plus what they put into it in the late 90s/early 00s before the project being stalled and the fans taking over. It was mostly complete in the mid-00s and when the SDCC were to complete the stadium and begin renting it out, there wasn't a whole lot left to do and it would've costed relatively little. Rovers and others that use it pay well for the rent, you can be sure that the SDCC will be making a significant profit over the lifetime of the stadium. That's good for the council and the public, by making a healthy profit from what became in the mid-00s a project that wasn't overly risky when Rovers became a fans-owned entity and committed to using the ground long term. And it's brilliant for the area, getting to regularly host top quality national football, Champions League and Europa League qualifiers and even the Europa League group stages. Imagine 15-20 years ago if you said that Juventus, Copenhagen, Partizan Belgrade, Tottenham Hotspur, Real Madrid etc. would be coming to play in Tallaght.

To be able to accommodate senior Gaelic games, they would have had to increase the pitch size. This would have meant they would have had to knock the existing stand that was nearly finished, which would have significantly increased costs and would have limited future capacity to about 4,500. At the moment, the capacity is 6,000, with plans to increase it to 7,500 and it has an overall potential of 10,000. This would have meant no Europa League Group stages, no Spurs, if it ended up being any less than 4,500 or if the stadium were not completed on time, it would have meant no Juventus, no Copenhagen, no Belgrade etc. It would have been completely unreasonable to expect to limit the stadium's potential and to drastically increase costs and build time just to accomodate Thomas Davis' senior team. It would have also reduced the rent that SDCC could've demanded, it being a smaller stadium, so they'd have been spending more money to end up getting less in rent. The ground can still host junior Gaelic games, as can it host other sports such as American football, rugby etc., which have all been played in Tallaght.

Thomas Davis were funded by the central GAA to take this case. Shamrock Rovers were not similarly funded by the FAI, it was the fans that had fund their battle. The court ruled that Rovers and the SDCC had no case to answer and that Thomas Davis had no legal basis for complaint. The case wasn't taken because they felt they weren't being treated fairly. Which, of course, is nonsense, because around the time that they were taking action, they were receiving grants from the State to the tune of hundreds of thousands. The Minister for Sports even offered to give Thomas Davis State-assistance with developing a 25 acre site, but that wasn't good enough. They wanted the stadium that Shamrock Rovers were going to play in. It wasn't about fairness, it was about trying to prevent Rovers from coming to Tallaght. They felt it was their patch and other sports shouldn't be welcome. They wanted a long-drawn out legal battle, in the hope that Rovers would just give up, not be able to afford or go bust in the process. In communication with the Dublin County Board, they felt that "in any bout with Rovers...the GAA would be the last man standing". The sinister motive was clear.

The actions of Thomas Davis and the GAA were not embarrassing. They were absolutely despicable. Thankfully, the right people won the court case and things turned out pretty well for Shamrock Rovers and the SDCC.

That's an excellent summary of events.

Thomas Davis and the GAA behaved disgracefully. It was such a pity, because there are plenty of good people in the GAA and maybe even in Thomas Davis, they clearly were overruled in that whole sorry episode.

Of course they "only have to look after their own" as some posters suggest. But throwing a fortune at unnecessary legal action to eliminate a rival sport is not looking after their own. It's actually a ridiculous drain on resources.

No other organisation so blatantly regards other sports as rivals as to take steps to curb their success as much as the GAA. I love Gaelic games, but no one should pretend there is no intolerance for other sports, you'll still get dinosaurs muttering about garrison sports, tut tutting about soccer and so on. I've seen and heard plenty of it, the Thomas Davis case was just the epitome of it. The Courts and the Government were absolutely correct to tell them take a hike. I hope they learned a lesson that spending money on the game itself is far better than spending it on nasty and vindictive litigation to grind down what they wrongly see as opponents.

Thomas Davis and the GAA behaved disgracefully. It was such a pity, because there are plenty of good people in the GAA and maybe even in Thomas Davis, they clearly were overruled in that whole sorry episode.

Of course they "only have to look after their own" as some posters suggest. But throwing a fortune at unnecessary legal action to eliminate a rival sport is not looking after their own. It's actually a ridiculous drain on resources.

No other organisation so blatantly regards other sports as rivals as to take steps to curb their success as much as the GAA. I love Gaelic games, but no one should pretend there is no intolerance for other sports, you'll still get dinosaurs muttering about garrison sports, tut tutting about soccer and so on. I've seen and heard plenty of it, the Thomas Davis case was just the epitome of it. The Courts and the Government were absolutely correct to tell them take a hike. I hope they learned a lesson that spending money on the game itself is far better than spending it on nasty and vindictive litigation to grind down what they wrongly see as opponents.
    I think the GAA thought they were going to lose a lot of members to Soccer when the international team was qualifying for tournaments, they have no worries on that score now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Means Of Escape

Michelle de Bruin

Toe curling interviews after her races and she guilty as sin
    It was even more amazing the number of people who thought she was innocent at the time .

Should have known that she was a cheat when none of the major US companies offered her contracts after the "wins"

Michelle De Bruin the female equivalent Lance Armstrong.

• Advertisement

Amongst certain people in all sports there is intolerance for other sports.

It may not be a good thing but thinking like that is human nature.

_Brian wrote: »
    Hate any idolisation of George Best, ya he was a decent footballer but more so a drunk wifebeater.

McGregor, Just a total flute, as a previous poster said, it can't come soon enough for someone to give him a good hiding and shut his gob up.

Boxers from our famous ethnic minority. Really, can we not be good at something that hasn't been perfected from bare knuckle drunken brawling.

It's in Mc Gregors interest to be a mouth.
    No one is interested in fighters with the personalities of a potted plant
    Great that he the confidence and belief to do what he says he will do to opponents.
    Rather than dismissing the guy he should be lauded for rising up the ranks of what most would considered exceptionally tough and physical sport

People will pay to see if the fighter can live up to his claims.

Michelle de Bruin

Toe curling interviews after her races and she guilty as sin
    It was even more amazing the number of people who thought she was innocent at the time .

Should have known that she was a cheat when none of the major US companies offered her contracts after the "wins"

Michelle De Bruin the female equivalent Lance Armstrong.

To be fair it appeared as if her opponents complaining about her was sour grapes, particularly with no evidence or history of doping - so often Irish people just turn on each other.

But, you must remember the main reason was that her times were not exceptional at all. They were quite average.

I'm not sure anybody still celebrates her medals to be honest.

Also, she is actually a lawyer, a full time liar, and if you look at her feigned shock when the urine sample was whiskey, it was obvious she was taking the p1ss ( pardon the pun) and feigning sincerity - just like lawyers do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

I read through this - well skimmed, but I just don't get it.

So 11 people who's grandparents were born here couldn't kick a ball between two sticks as many times as the other eleven people from somewhere else.

Is that it, and I should be embarrassed because of that?

There's loads of things I have felt embarrassed about in the past. I'm not going to open any old wounds by listing them. I suppose the last one was the Swinford Home one. Something like that happens and I think "Oh, FFS that's the best we can do. All of the Government Ministers, the civil servants, the people working there (who probably had to study hard to get the gig), and, and, and" - but sport, why should it embarrass me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Which Olympics was it that we had a few travellers boxing? The supplementary interviews from the caravans was pretty tragic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Never ceases to amaze me how many people claim to feel humiliated by victories, achievements and successes Irish sportspeople have achieved over the years.

Never ceases to amaze me how many people claim to feel humiliated by victories, achievements and successes Irish sportspeople have achieved over the years.

You including Michelle De Bruin in your list ?

• Advertisement

Conor McGregors father.

Advertisement