Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Allergic reaction to deodrant - skin burnt

• 03-07-2015 8:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've had an allergic reaction to this deodorant and the skin under my arms is slightly burnt I think. It feels a slight bit like plastic.

My mum said to put either savlon or germolene cream on it but I am a bit skeptical of that because any time anyone gets a burn or bruise or whatever she swears by those creams and they don't always work, so I'm looking for some advice/suggestions on those creams, would either of them work or is there anything else I can try/get to help ease the burning and stinging sensation?

Thanks for any help :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I would cleanse with E45 shower gel (or E45 baby bath, which is even milder) and then pop on some pure aloe vera gel to soothe the area and help it heal. That's what I'd so for sunburn or razor burn too. Loose clothing should help, and skip the bra if it's irritating the area at all.
    Out of pure curiosity, what deodorant did you use?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I'm allergic to aloe Vera and use calendula cream for burns like this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,807 ✭✭✭micks_address

dee_mc wrote: »
    I would cleanse with E45 shower gel (or E45 baby bath, which is even milder) and then pop on some pure aloe vera gel to soothe the area and help it heal. That's what I'd so for sunburn or razor burn too. Loose clothing should help, and skip the bra if it's irritating the area at all.
    Out of pure curiosity, what deodorant did you use?

I had a severe reaction to a spray on deodorant few years ago.. I broke out in a rash that took weeks to go away and several trips to the doctor and courses of anti histamines.. Was sure quantum sensitive skin... Never touched again..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Thanks so much everyone. I'll take a look at aloe Vera gel and calendula cream in Boots tomorrow.

I used this deodorant http://www.superdrug.com/Soft-%26-Gentle/Soft-%26-Gentle-Wild-Rose-%26-Vanilla-Anti-Perspirant-250ml/p/884057

Its horribly uncomfortable and the warm and sticky weather ain't helping :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭zzxx

Maybe try putting some coconut oil on your skin to help it recover.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Just wash it off with water and leave your skin alone.

Adding more chemicals could make the situation worse.

If it doesn't clear up, blisters or is very sore, definitely consult your GP.

I'm very allergic to a lot of things so I test them somewhere less painful like my leg before using them under arm!

Thanks so much everyone. I picked up this aloe vera gel today and have it on now, its helped the stinging so much.

http://www.boots.ie/en/Banana-Boat-Aloe-Vera-Gel-1-x-230g_873032/

Going to put a bit more on before bed and continue putting it on for the next few days.

Won't be making the mistake of trying out new deodorants any time soon that is for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭molly09

I had a severe reaction to a spray on deodorant few years ago.. I broke out in a rash that took weeks to go away and several trips to the doctor and courses of anti histamines.. Was sure quantum sensitive skin... Never touched again..

I get a reaction with all sure spray deodorants. I have never used their roll on products, so don't know about these.

Op hope it feel better soon, that can be very uncomfortable.

molly09 wrote: »
    I get a reaction with all sure spray deodorants. I have never used their roll on products, so don't know about these.

Op hope it feel better soon, that can be very uncomfortable.
    I am the exact same with Sure spray deodorants.

I can't use Nivea, Dove, Sure, Right Guard, Sanex or Vaseline spray on deodorants, yet I can use the roll on deodorant by the Dove and sure and other brands. I can't understand/figure out why I react to the spray on's?

I really like this brand by Tesco, well the one deodorant I've tried anyway. It was the the one with the purple on the tin, one of the best deodorants I've used, cheap too, its hard to find though as not every store sells it I think :(

http://img.tesco.com/Groceries/pi/214/5054402465214/IDShot_540x540.jpg

My underarms are feeling a lot better today, my god that aloe vera stuff worked a treat, they are still irritated and slightly sore, but thankfully not too bad. Thanks everyone for your help and advice, I really appreciate it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭molly09

That's great it's feeling better today, I am going to the local tesco tomorrow to see can I get my hands on that deodorant. When I was in my teens I don't think I reacted to any deodorant but I normally stick to the same one these days (Sanex) as I have had so many bad experiences. Sanex is so expensive and is a devil for destroying clothes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

It's quite possible something's been reformulated.
    That happens to me all the time with toothpastes.

Advertisement