Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommended waxer

Options
  • 29-06-2015 10:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭

Hi all
    I've been getting a hollywood wax for about 6 months or more now. I started off in the <SNIP>, and had a bad first experience there, with double dipping and a poor result. I think I posted about it at the time.

I moved to <SNIP>. I generally found it grand, going for the maintenance every 5 weeks. The time before last, I was burnt, or something happened that looked like a layer (or 3) of skin was removed, from ...a very sore area. I went back about it, and the girl said I must've been a bit sensitive to the wax, which doesn't make any sense. Then she said maybe she didn't put any oil (?) down on the area to protect it. She gave me an aloe vera lotion and apologised, and sent me on my way. I only got to go in 2 days after the wax, so it was healing by that time, though I showed her pictures - it was really bad.

I was very disappointed, I was expecting a manager to speak to me and maybe even offer a refund, or some sort of explanation. When I rang the place about it before I went in, I had asked twice to speak to a manager, and was told there wasn't one available. So I ended up just dealing with the girl who does my waxes.

After that I was of course considering going elsewhere, but I had quite a busy few weeks, and before I knew it 5 weeks had passed. Its also difficult to find a place that does lycon waxing. So I went back. I thought I had seen it the last time, but this time I was sure - she's double dipping too.

So I'm fed up quite frankly. I'm fed up with waxing, as it seems to be too much to ask that they don't double dip!!

Can anyone recommend a place that does lycon waxing, preferably a maintenance for more than 4 weeks, that they know don't double dip!?

Thanks all.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Taboola

I've never heard anything bad or experienced double dipping in <SNIP> and anyway, I don't get the whole double dipping issue either. I'm getting waxed years now and have never had an issue with someone double dipping.

Urban wax use Lycon or similar.

Another option is Waxsperts.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

You could try Waxperts in Dun Laoighre. I've never been there (have my first appointment with them for next week), but quite a few of my friends go there and highly recommend them. They say the staff are really good and helpful, too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

With Lycon they use a protective oil under the wax to prevent the wax burning the skin. Without this oil, the area can only be waxed over once and only on a specific degree.

Waxperts would be a similar wax and would pride themselves on not double dipping.

Also, Harley wax is amazing also. You should be fine with Hollywood waxes with either of these 3 waxes.

However, <snip> are amazing, generally. Next time you're in just ask who the manager is and if they can get her to call you whenever is convenient.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭shakencat

what is double dipping?

like... do you mean, use a stick, and dip it in again?

are they meant to use a fresh stick each time?

There has been and still is a lot of debate on double dipping. I'm not involved in in the beauty industry, so don't have any training or knowledge of the ins and outs of it, but I've pulled up a few articles and websites which discuss it, highlighting the arguments for/against it. I'm including a few below:

http://beaut.ie/2008/double-dipping-and-other-horrors-more-salon-secrets-from-industry-insiders/#.VZZbcbfH8dU

http://stellar.ie/beauty/heres-why-double-dipping-at-the-salon-is-gross-and-can-cause-you-harm/

http://waxperts.ie/about-waxing/#

http://jodilabossiere.com/double-dipping-need-know-get-bikini-wax/

• Advertisement

Just back from my waxing in <SNIP> and there was no double dipping as per usual. Really cannot recommend them enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭marquise

I went to <SNIP> for years but the person I went to left and every person I went to afterwards there double dipped. I asked about it and was told that the policy was that they double dip unless skin was broken/blood involved. That put me off so I went elsewhere. That was a few years ago so the policy may well have changed since then.

I'd highly recommend Jenni at The Brow Artist in Ranelagh.

Just an update on my first post in the thread: I had my first leg wax appointment at Waxperts the other day, and I have to say it was the best wax I've ever had, and my legs are way smoother than after any previous session. They also allocate 45 minutes per session (I've only ever had 30 before). There was absolutely no double-dipping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

Taboola wrote: »
    I've never heard anything bad or experienced double dipping in <SNIP> and anyway, I don't get the whole double dipping issue either. I'm getting waxed years now and have never had an issue with someone double dipping.
    Just back from my waxing in <SNIP> and there was no double dipping as per usual. Really cannot recommend them enough.

Great, good for you. I'm saying they do it, and I have a problem with it.
    shakencat wrote: »
    what is double dipping?

like... do you mean, use a stick, and dip it in again?

are they meant to use a fresh stick each time?

Yes they are meant to. Majority of places make it a policy that they proudly put on their websites and such, but it seems few places actually implement this policy.
    convert wrote: »
    Just an update on my first post in the thread: I had my first leg wax appointment at Waxperts the other day, and I have to say it was the best wax I've ever had, and my legs are way smoother than after any previous session. They also allocate 45 minutes per session (I've only ever had 30 before). There was absolutely no double-dipping.

Thanks for that. Dun Laoghaire would be quite a trip for me to make for this, but I will consider it. Wasn't happy with the quality of the work, as well as the double-dipping.

Gongoozler wrote: »

Yes they are meant to. Majority of places make it a policy that they proudly put on their websites and such, but it seems few places actually implement this policy.

Thanks for that. Dun Laoghaire would be quite a trip for me to make for this, but I will consider it. Wasn't happy with the quality of the work, as well as the double-dipping.

Wow. Attitude much? I'm saying I've never experienced double dipping there and when I asked about it they said they don't double dip.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

Wow. Attitude much? I'm saying I've never experienced double dipping there and when I asked about it they said they don't double dip.

I don't have an attitude.

I've started the thread to say they double-dip and I'm not happy about it. You just wrote to say they don't, which is of no use to me, and is really just trying to make out like I somehow saw something that didn't happen. I was simply trying to cut you off, re-iterating that they do, I saw it, and that I'm not happy about it, so there's no point in you continuing to say they don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Gongoozler wrote: »

I go to Waxperts from Blanchardstown and it's worth it. Aoife is the best Hollywood waxer there at the moment imo.

[QUOTE=Gongoozler;96192988]
    Thanks for that. Dun Laoghaire would be quite a trip for me to make for this, but I will consider it. Wasn't happy with the quality of the work, as well as the double-dipping.[/QUOTE]

Ive made an appointment for next month, so will update you on how I find it then, but for now I'm happy, not least because the girls who waxed my legs the last few times used the same spatula for the entire wax. The outcome wasn't brilliant either.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Name of business removed. Please do not continue to name them again.

dudara

Advertisement