Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12 MOD POST #1130

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

We need more black players me thinks

Im with you on that, we need some strong, quick, good dancers and great singers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Ataz9eQCIAErUL9.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭joe123

If AVB is brought in, then his first buy will be another winger/forward who cuts inside. Its the way he has always set up his teams. I could see Sterling getting alot more gametime if it is AVB though.

Crazy to think though, after so much invested last summer that we now need to invest hugely again. We need another defensive midfielder as Spearing is simply not cut out for this level. We need another striker as we cant rely on Carroll to be anyways consistent and Suarez just doesnt have that clinical scoring touch to his game.

I hope the americans give us something decent to spend or we wont be seeing 4th spot next year either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,403 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Rumour is that the new manager will be given around 30 million, not including the money for outbound players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

I took a leave of absence form the last thread as every page was the same BS after a while.

Hopefully this thread doesn't descend into those murky depths of internet crap.

Here's hoping to a good summer in the transfer market, and good managerial appointment, and a bit more success next year.

YNWA.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Vicxas wrote: »
    Rumour is that the new manager will be given around 30 million, not including the money for outbound players.

Who do you think will be sold realistically?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I can confirm that we will have a manager come August.

I can confirm that we will have a manager come August.

You gave up your ITK status a while back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

New thread. So in that case... Edison Cavani, you're very welcome to Liverpool. And for Lionel Messi to follow his old/our new boss Pep Guardiola really was great business by FSG. Bernard Diomede as assistant coach is a strange appointment mind...This is our year!:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Looking forward to some interesting developments this week at LFC.

New DOF
    New Manager
    New CEO

:D

• Advertisement

amiable wrote: »
    Who do you think will be sold realistically?

Considering how ruthless FSG are proving to be, I'd say any player that didn't perform last season is potentially outbound, as well as those that didn't get much game time.

The list would be something like:

Adam
    Maxi
    Kuyt
    Jones
    Aurelio
    Cole
    Carra (maybe)

I would love to see Aquilani brought back to the club, but I assume he'll finally be sold too.

Downing and Henderson will avoid the sale hammer I'm sure. Downing hasn't actually been that bad when he's played with the correct players, and Henderson I'm sure will be given a bit more time unfortunately.

A few of the younger ads that haven't made it yet may be sold, or some have their loans made permanent.

Considering how ruthless FSG are proving to be, I'd say any player that didn't perform last season is potentially outbound, as well as those that didn't get much game time.

The list would be something like:

Adam
    Maxi
    Kuyt
    Jones
    Aurelio
    Cole
    Carra (maybe)

I would love to see Aquilani brought back to the club, but I assume he'll finally be sold too.

Downing and Henderson will avoid the sale hammer I'm sure. Downing hasn't actually been that bad when he's played with the correct players, and Henderson I'm sure will be given a bit more time unfortunately.

A few of the younger ads that haven't made it yet may be sold, or some have their loans made permanent.

When you pay 20m for a player of his age and experience(Downing) you should expect better than not "that bad". We should be looking to sell him his value is just going to drop from here on in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

The more I read about Villas Boas the more he sounds like the next Rafa, and not Mourinho as most would have you believe.

http://www.football365.com/chelsea/7769223/Romelu-Lukaku
    "There is one person that I will never forgive for what he did to me - the previous coach.

"It's not just that. It was also the way he spoke to me and treated me. Right from the beginning, it was weird. I could not stand how he was treating me. I received no explanation.

"In training, he put me on the right or left wing. In training matches, I was a substitute with a shirt to keep swapping teams. I really learned nothing!

"I have told the club that too. I understand that he was under pressure, but I was also thinking of myself. I have improved in recent months."

Couple that with the Dion Fanning piece from the weekend:
    Andre Villas-Boas will be approached this week. AVB's man-management skills make Benitez look like Ron Atkinson. He is no Mr Bojangles and if anything he came out of the Chelsea debacle less tarnished than he should have been.

The seductive notion of the mutinous Stamford Bridge dressing room has masked how spectacularly badly he handled the job. There were strong personalities, but beyond the usual suspects it was routine to hear in his final weeks how he had alienated most players in the squad.

More importantly, he made a mess of his remit and was fired. Survival is the starting point for a manager and he undermined himself with his sensitivity and inability to bring key players with him. He might have learned from that but it would be a risky appointment for a dressing room that needs managing.

Downing hasn't actually been that bad when he's played with the correct players

+1

Downing is getting much more stick than he deserves imo. He put in some bad performances but he also had some good days that are quickly forgotten.

I'm sure that if the team are playing well, Downing can be a good player for us he just isn't a man to carry a team he needs the players around him to perform too.

You gave up your ITK status a while back

Is that so.

Liverpool would be lucky to get half of what was paid for him last summer if he was to be sold IMO.
    I could see someone like Stoke buying Charlie Adam for his set pieces alone.(even though they weren't great this season)

Is that so.

You let it lapse I'm afraid

If we could hit a barn door last season Downing would have 10 assists. We didnt buy a man who scores 3 a season his entire career to score goals.

I see alot of folk on the interwebz confident out new man will be AVB. Perhaps he was the first manager from 6 full time managers under Abramovich to be allowed straight back into English football. I have my doubts.

daithijjj wrote: »

I see alot of folk on the interwebz confident out new man will be AVB. Perhaps he was the first manager from 6 full time managers under Abramovich to be allowed straight back into English football. I have my doubts.

Tony Evans had a few choice words to say about him.
    I won't repeat them in case there's a repeat of a previous episode where I was infracted for explaining something similar. :)

• Advertisement

This just in:

My sources tell me you haven't a clue lad.
    I'm as reliable as ever. :cool:

This just in:

My sources tell me you haven't a clue lad.
    I'm as reliable as ever. :cool:

We shall see amigo :D

We shall see amigo :D

We shall, we shall. If there is no manager come August I will have egg on my face and you will be the rightful ITK go to source in these parts.

Interesting times ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

I just wish the owners would keep swinging the axe and not stop at off field staff .

Tony Evans had a few choice words to say about him.
    I won't repeat them in case there's a repeat of a previous episode where I was infracted for explaining something similar. :)

Lukaku went through him today apparently. Seems to be a very disagreeable chap from alot of sources.

Lukaku went through him today apparently. Seems to be a very disagreeable chap from alot of sources.

AVB or Lukaku?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

I think arrogance was mentioned quite a bit

Still if his only source is Lukaku I wouldn't be too worried.

AVB or Lukaku?

AVB.

Infact the Guardian have just posted this 1 minute ago.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/may/21/romelu-lukaku-villas-boas-chelsea?CMP=twt_gu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

I think Torres didnt really like AVB either, didnt Reina say something about AVB not being the best at improving a players confidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Seamu$

Ataz9eQCIAErUL9.jpg

Is Schalke a bigger brand than Inter, Ajax or Juventus?!! Those figures seem a little bit strange.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ataz9eQCIAErUL9.jpg

Interesting, not a bad jump for club in the doldrums.#

Seamu$ wrote: »
    Is Schalke a bigger brand than Inter, Ajax or Juventus?!! Those figures seem a little bit strange.

Bit more info here.

http://ibnlive.in.com/news/man-utd-worlds-most-valuable-football-brand/259995-5-21.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

surely this should be a 12/13 thread?

whats the latest stressful news today.

When you pay 20m for a player of his age and experience(Downing) you should expect better than not "that bad". We should be looking to sell him his value is just going to drop from here on in.

I'm a firm believer that Downing was completely misused tbh. It seemed a lot of the games he played he never got the chance to try beat his man and get a cross in - because he had noone to aim for.

When he + Carroll played in the same side, we arguably played our best football this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,871 ✭✭✭✭klose

In fairness to downing he can't possibly have a worse season next season only do equally as bad as this one, onwards and upwards woo

El Spearo wrote: »
    surely this should be a 12/13 thread?

whats the latest stressful news today.

This thread will be 10,000 posts strong well before the next season starts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

mike65 wrote: »
    This thread will be 10,000 posts strong well before the next season starts.

Easily. If Benitez was appointed manager, that alone would be 10,000 posts :p

On the Downing thing, I defended him on here quite a bit at the start, thought he was doing decent and was being let down by the strikers.

However, as the season progressed his confidence took a battering and he didn't show the fight or the creativity that I would expect from a winger of his experience and price.

If the team is doing well, expect Downing to play well. If they're struggling, he hides and very rarely shows the determination or belief required I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,634 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I think we should open a book: how many posts do you think this thread shall have at the precise moment of kick off at our first premiership game?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

He's confidence was knocked by the fact that 8/10 times he has to turn back on himself and play a ball back to midfielders instead of driving on and getting his cross in.

Wingers need people in the box to aim for, if there's noone in the box there's very little he can do tbf.

When Carroll played with Downing, he often came near to receive the short pass, or at least made himself a target in the box for Downing to aim at.

If we're gonna keep Downing, Carroll and Suarez, they all need to be playing together as much as possible to get the benefits out of all of their strengths.

Suarez is the slight exception as he can obviously create chances for himself out of nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    I think we should open a book: how many posts do you think this thread shall have at the precise moment of kick off at our first premiership game?

Closed
    New thread

• Advertisement

Are we fooling ourselves thinking we could be getting a strong manager like Rafa or Capello etc ?

If the rumours and what Ayre has said to date are to be believed then the whole structure from the DOF down is being changed .

There will be a new role which Segura looks destined for, and all other roles will get an equal share of power at the demise of the manager which will now be known as the "coach".

This all points to Martinez (or similar) type manager, as I really cant see any of the stronger candidates finding this structure something that they would work under .

Is there a similar set-up in any other PL Club at present ?
    Where has this worked before ?
    Is this a really risky manoeuvre by the owners?
    What is the real benefits ?

Im confused :confused:

Leiva wrote: »
    Are we fooling ourselves thinking we could be getting a strong manager like Rafa or Capello etc ?

If the rumours and what Ayre has said to date are to be believed then the whole structure from the DOF down is being changed .

There will be a new role which Segura looks destined for, and all other roles will get an equal share of power at the demise of the manager which will now be known as the "coach".

This all points to Martinez (or similar) type manager, as I really cant see any of the stronger candidates finding this structure something that they would work under .

We don't know a whole lot for sure. It might be more similar to what the likes of AVB or Capello are used to, or it might fly in the face of what Martinez wants to do. Saying the supposed new structure would discourage all good managers and that only average ones would accept it is certainly a bit of a stretch.

Leiva wrote: »

This is how I reckon it'll look when it's all settled

CEO
    NEW
    Director of Football - Commercial Director - Communications Director
    ---NEW
    Ian Ayre
    Jen Chang

Head of Coaching
    Jose Segura
    Head Coach First Team - Assistant Coaches
    NEW
    Clarke/Borrell (if Clarke stays)
    Reserve coach
    ????

Interesting:
    Paul Dalglish Paul Dalglish ‏@pauldalglish

A positive of my old man getting his P45 is that I can now comment on current football affairs without having to be careful what I say!
    26m Paul Dalglish Paul Dalglish ‏@pauldalglish

One of the biggest overlooked factors in football by supporters is players wage demands. Some clubs can afford transfer fees but not wages!
    Expand

For instance 2 players cost 20m but 1 is on 80k a week and 1 is on 250k on 5 years deals. Difference on total deal is 44.2m!
    Expand

Also the media interpretation of money spent. You release a player on a free who is on 80k a week for the next 3 years. Money saved 12.48m.
    1m Scott✩✩✩✩✩ Scott✩✩✩✩✩ ‏@THEREDSCOT

@pauldalglish you talking LFC players?
    Retweeted by Paul Dalglish
    Paul Dalglish ‏@pauldalglish

No I am just talking generally @THEREDSCOT

Safe to assume he's talking about Downing and Cole here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

He's confidence was knocked by the fact that 8/10 times he has to turn back on himself and play a ball back to midfielders instead of driving on and getting his cross in.

Wingers need people in the box to aim for, if there's noone in the box there's very little he can do tbf.

When Carroll played with Downing, he often came near to receive the short pass, or at least made himself a target in the box for Downing to aim at.

If we're gonna keep Downing, Carroll and Suarez, they all need to be playing together as much as possible to get the benefits out of all of their strengths.

Suarez is the slight exception as he can obviously create chances for himself out of nothing.

Would not say that he is a slight exception as his game does not suffer at all when the other two you named are out.

Would really be something to watch if we were able to put a few players in the team that were on a similar level to Suarez in terms of how good they were in their own respective positions.

A genuine playmaker and/or a mobile atttack minded CM would have a field day with Suarez ahead of them, as would a quality clever striker. Throw some genuine pace onto one flank and now Suarez has outlets and supply.

Just to use the four players I mentioned earlier in the thread.

Imagine this line up in a 4-3-3

Reina

Johnson---Skrtel---Agger
    Enrique

Lucas
    Sissoko

Belhanda

Hoilett
    Suarez
    Welliton

With the likes of Gerrard, Carroll, Henderson, Kelly, Coates etc available as cover. The likes of Sterling would come onto the bench as understudy/cover for Hoilett.

That starting XI has serious pace, steel, guile, movement, goal threat.

Defenders would have to watch Hoilett because he can go wide or cut inside at pace. Defenders would have to watch Suarez because he can cut inside or go wide and can also go past two or three players. But if they try to mark Hoilett and Suarez out of the game you are leaving alone a serious pace merchant who can switch to either flank as well as play as a lone striker.

Not to mention Belhanda pulling strings and moving acorss the pitch at will.

No shortage of goals and assists with an attacking quartet of Suarez, Welliton, Hoilett, and Belhanda imho. Plus all four can play out wide so they could interchange during attacks and drag defenders all over the place.

If you then decide that you want to make a midfield scrap out of it, well Belhanda can tackle but he has Lucas and Sissoko behind him as enforcers.

Lucas with all his grit and reading of the game, but now with a six footer who is faster than Lucas and stronger than Lucas beside him The same six footer who seem to enjoy a bit of a physical tussle as much as he enjoys chasing down players but that can also fit into a passing game and attack well.

Then if you get past all of them you still have the reliable back four to deal with before you can even think about Pepe. A back four that would no doubt give up even less goals if they had a solid midfield in front of them.

Easy this management lark. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

CEO
    NEW
    ---NEW
    Ian Ayre
    Jen Chang

Head of Coaching
    Jose Segura
    NEW
    Reserve coach
    ????

I think we need to buy backup for Segura. If a serious injury happens we can't expect Spearing to step up for another full season.

I'm not sure there was a bunch of typo's there Kess. Are any of them Belgian??? :P

Welliton definitely has promise, however I wouldn't be entirely sold on Hoilett.

Welliton's strike rate in Russia is excellent, and that's a tough league, from which players seem to mostly make a good transition to the Prem.

Hoilett could be another Charlie Adam. To be fair to the lad I think he's 10x the footballer, but its the whole 'looking brilliant in a very poor team' that may make him a very risky purchase.

However, he is young, and apparently wants to get himself eligible to play for England - which would suit us down to the ground as he'd obviously have to be pushing his performances to keep himself on the radar.

Oh, and Sissoko already had his chance with us :P

Sappy404 wrote: »
    Interesting:

Safe to assume he's talking about Downing and Cole here?

I think he's talking through his hole, most football fans know what effect wages has on a players decision. Any Liverpool fan with half a brain knew we didnt have a chance of getting Aguero, Mata etc.

Making excuses.

CEO
    NEW
    ---NEW
    Ian Ayre
    Jen Chang

Head of Coaching
    Jose Segura
    NEW
    Reserve coach
    ????

My point still stands .....Would the likes of Rafa etc work under that structure ?

(ps) this makes me weak at the knees ....

Lucas
    Sissoko

Belhanda

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Any Liverpool fan with half a brain knew we didnt have a chance of getting Aguero.

:(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement