Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some quick advice please

Options
  • 24-03-2011 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭

Hi all, a couple of weeks ago my boss rang me and asked me to work extra hours during the summer(I work part time). Every summer the shop opens 3.5 hours later in the evening. My exact words were " I can't do the extra hours; I understand that I am being really unflexible so if you need to find someone to take over my hours I understand". He has just rang me to ask me about working the extra hours which I said I still can't do them and he replied "then I will have to take you up on your offer".

My question is: by me saying the above, am I entitled to any redundancy pay? or have I just resigned without realising it?

I will ring Nera tomorrow just looking for some quick advice as I am stressing out now:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Pure Sound

There is nothing in writing so technically you can still refuse your original offer of replacement. Redundancy is very unlikely in this scenario though as they are offering more hours and it is you that is not being flexible. The fact that you said it means that it would probably go against you if it went any further. What kind of contract are you on, is it flexi or specific hours. From the information given it looks like you have three choices:

1. Continue working on the same contract (If you are not on flexi)
    2. Do the extra hours
    3.Quit

I may be wrong but that is what I would expect your options are

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

there is no redundacy in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

Thanks for replies, rang NERA and the only option I have is to go the unfair dismissial route which I don't really want to do as it would look really bad when applying for other jobs that I don't have a reference from my employer of 5 years

Advertisement