Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work place incident

Options
  • 24-03-2011 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Today in work a large piece of extraction piping fell, approximately 40-50ft in length 1-2ft diameter it fell from an approximate height of 25 ft onto an area where someone might normally be working and also a walkway. It's pure luck that noone was hurt, there were people within 3-6 feet of where it fell.

From what i can see the sections were filled with dust and debris, a byproduct of the work carried out here, i'd say half to three quarters full, without doubt enough to kill or seriously injure someone. It looks like the weight was to much for the supports in place.

From what i can make out this is classed as a dangerous occurrence on the HSA website.

I queried in work with my supervisor and manager whether it should be reported and was informed that because noone was hurt they werent sure and the Health and safety officer was checking it out. I was told that the insurance company had been informed.

The mess and pipes and immediate area were/ are cordoned off. The mess was cleared up and pipes moved within an hour.

Work was allowed to continue in the areas immediately adjacent to the incident despite identical piping being above every working area and no guarantee given regarding the safety of the other piping.

My questions are,
    1) is this a reportable incident?
    2) should the H and S officer know this immediately?
    3) should we have been left back to work before our safety is assured?
    4) should the incident have been tidied up before the HSA were informed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

My questions are,
    1) is this a reportable incident?
    yes, in the accident /incident book or file.

2) should the H and S officer know this immediately?
    Yes

3) should we have been left back to work before our safety is assured?
    This would be the safety officer's call once an investigation had taken place.

4) should the incident have been tidied up before the HSA were informed?
    No, it should have been documented fully.

I would put a anonymous call into the HSA for advice.

I don't work in construction but a business with a rigorous safety procedure

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mucco

I'd be worried about the dust build up. Depending on the dust, it can form explosive mixes.

M

Advertisement