Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black blob on screen!!

Options
  • 17-12-2008 12:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

I stupidly closed my laptop on some paper work with a paper clip on it.
    The result, a small black blob about two inches in width and three inches in length!
    Are there any quick fixes? I Must check my warranty but i'm not home till next week..

It's a Sony Vaio VGN-NR32L
    200gb
    15.4" screen
    2GB memory...

Any help is appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,209 ✭✭✭ongarite

Sounds to me like you have broken the liquid crystal part of the LCD screen in that section.
    Either you can live with it or replace the screen, doubt it will be covered by warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,853 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

ongarite wrote: »
    Sounds to me like you have broken the liquid crystal part of the LCD screen in that section.
    Either you can live with it or replace the screen, doubt it will be covered by warranty.
    Black liquid of doom im afraid. As its not a manufacturing defect, it will not be covered under a standard limited warranty. A replacement/repair job can easily charge as much as 500eur (HP tried it with me) but that covers the cost of replacing the entire lid, and labor.

However, the repair can be done for about 200 euro (possibly less depending on where you buy) by ordering the replacement screen yourself, and cracking open the lid. Its a bit surgical, but do-able. Had to do this to my own back in august.

If you open up your broken screen there, on the inside of it you will find a product key, and that will be what you order. Its also a good opportunity to prepare yourself for the actual replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Sony charge nearer to 600 as far as i remember.

*googles inbox* the exact charge was $698.00. The screen I ended up buying cost $190.00 after tax and shipping.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

As the others said physical damage is not covered by warranty. If ya have insurance you might get it covered under that.

• Advertisement

kikel wrote: »
    As the others said physical damage is not covered by warranty. If ya have accidental damage insurance you might get it covered under that.
    FYP

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

Cheers,

Advertisement