Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving part-time job.

Options
  • 19-03-2011 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭

Currently on a 4 hour contract (don't laugh) and today ill be handing in my notice, just wondering what sort of time do I have to give them, ideally I would very much like for today to be my last day, but would settle for next week.

Is there a legal amount of time that you have to give or is it based on your contract?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I think you're required to give a month's notice with most jobs but I did once hear that if you get paid weekly, you give a week's notice/ paid fortnightly, give two weeks notice etc. That could be incorrect though!

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mari2222

Maybe you are due some holidays which could count within the notice you are giving?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

How you get paid has no bearing on how much notice you're required to give, your tenure is more important. It's irrelevant what any contract says. The law backs this up.

If you are working there less that 11 months you are only required to give a weeks notice

A year 2 weeks

2 + a month

However notice can always be agreed upon between both parties!

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mari2222

if you have a written contract that tells you about the notice you must give, then follow it. If not then the one-week statutory minimum in the Minimum Notice and Terms of Employment Act 1973 states it is one week for employees working over 21 hours per week....in other words no period of time is mentioned for your situation, in which case you may be able to leave immediately. See if your employer agrees with that course of action, as you may wish to get a reference......., but if you point out there is no minimum statutory period for a 4-hour worker, they may agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Interesting, I'm not sure if there is a set amount of time for this really, I know that someone that left the job before was told she had to give 4 weeks, she rang the head office and they said that it wasn't true.

As I said, its only a small part time job in retail, high staff turnaround in the job as well, I am there 3.5 years but I wont be needing a reference as my career references now out weigh it, ill see how it goes anyway, ill say next week will be my last day, see how that goes.

Thanks all.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,266 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

RachaelVO wrote: »
    How you get paid has no bearing on how much notice you're required to give, your tenure is more important. It's irrelevant what any contract says. The law backs this up.

If you are working there less that 11 months you are only required to give a weeks notice

A year 2 weeks

2 + a month

You got the law completely wrong, the law stipulates only minimum notice and clearly outlines that your contract can, and may, exceed this notice period and would take precedence in such a case. The only exception to this would be "unreasonable" notice period which is not quantified.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Next week is my last day, no issues with it at all, so all is well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

RachaelVO wrote: »

A year 2 weeks

2 + a month

I dont know what country this is the law in, but its not Ireland!! below is the law in Ireland regarding notice
    http://www.employmentrights.ie/en/informationforemployers/minimumnotice/

Advertisement